The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   This thread is reserved for NEED-A-VETTE'S curry recipe (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30748)

NEED-A-VETTE 03-04-2012 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP (Post 599258)
Why is all this stuff in English?? You would think that in Japan, the stuff would be written in Japanese. What's up with that? :confused5:

It wouldn't make sense for them to distribute products to the U.S. or other English speaking countries...and have the directions in Japanese. :slap: Who would buy a product if they can't even read the instructions to cook it? :D

Having said that, anything I buy in Japan and bring back is obviously in Japanese. I have to scan and email the cooking directions to my my MIL so she can translate.

I brought back a bunch of toys for my nieces and nephews...these little solar robotic things that had to be put together. Thank God there were pictures because the directions for assembly were all in Japanese. My BIL sat down with the kids to put them together and was like, "WTF is this?" :rofl:

kingpin 03-04-2012 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 599263)
It wouldn't make sense for them to distribute products to the U.S. or other English speaking countries...and have the directions in Japanese. :slap: Who would buy a product if they can't even read the instructions to cook it? :D

Having said that, anything I buy in Japan and bring back is obviously in Japanese. I have to scan and email the cooking directions to my my MIL so she can translate.

I brought back a bunch of toys for my nieces and nephews...these little solar robotic things that had to be put together. Thank God there were pictures because the directions for assembly were all in Japanese. My BIL sat down with the kids to put them together and was like, "WTF is this?" :rofl:

So Nox is a ninja! Damnit, I was wrong. :D

I love the Katsu. There was a Japanese take out place I use to go to that had a take out dish that looks like that plate you made. It was unbelievably tasty but they closed down.

I envy your Zoji!

NEED-A-VETTE 03-04-2012 12:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin (Post 599271)
So Nox is a ninja! Damnit, I was wrong. :D

I love the Katsu. There was a Japanese take out place I use to go to that had a take out dish that looks like that plate you made. It was unbelievably tasty but they closed down.

I envy your Zoji!

Yes. Ninjas eat curry. :D And human souls. :leaving:

Traditional Katsu is delicious. Easy to make. Just use the Katsu recipe above (I prefer pork, or tonkatsu). Serve it with some finely shredded cabbage ( think spahetti or angel hair thin) that you've Soaked in ice cold water for about 30-45 minutes. Plate up with some rice, miso soup and Japanese pickles. Maybe a sliced tomato, too. Drizzle the tonkatsu and cabbage with Katsu sauce (can be bought by the jar). Done.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/photo-34.jpg

Zoji rice cookers can be found on amazon. We bought ours in little Tokyo, but I think the prices on amazon may actually be slightly better. :cert:

NeedSpeed 03-05-2012 1:11pm

Must try.

Very nicely presented :cheers:

VatorMan 03-05-2012 2:06pm

Bookmarked. Will be making this later this week. :cert: Great write up young lady !!

jaxgator 03-05-2012 5:23pm

Helluva write-up. Thanks NAV! :cert:

LilRedCorvette 03-08-2012 8:04pm

Here's a dumb question...

...for those of us with GI problems, is there a mild form of the curry (rather than hot)? I would like to try this with some modifications if possible.

kingpin 03-08-2012 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 604676)
...for those of us with GI problems, is there a mild form of the curry (rather than hot)? I would like to try this with some modifications if possible.

Generally the lighter the curry the milder it will be.
Caribbean curry that they make curried goat and chicken are yellower in colour and are much, much milder.

You can also dilute it with yogourt or gravies.

NEED-A-VETTE 03-08-2012 11:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 604676)

This isn't really all that hot. Much milder than other curries. But there are medium hot and mild versions of Japanese curry. Just look for it on the box.

Sea Six 03-11-2012 7:59am

Delicious!!!

I used the Golden Curry.

NEED-A-VETTE 03-11-2012 7:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 606793)
Delicious!!!

I used the Golden Curry.

Glad you liked it. :cheers:

Sea Six 03-11-2012 10:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 607296)
Glad you liked it. :cheers:

It wasn't just me. This dish is a crowd-pleaser. :hurray:

Sea Six 03-14-2012 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 599334)
Yes. Ninjas eat curry. :D And human souls. :leaving:

Traditional Katsu is delicious. Easy to make. Just use the Katsu recipe above (I prefer pork, or tonkatsu). Serve it with some finely shredded cabbage ( think spahetti or angel hair thin) that you've Soaked in ice cold water for about 30-45 minutes. Plate up with some rice, miso soup and Japanese pickles. Maybe a sliced tomato, too. Drizzle the tonkatsu and cabbage with Katsu sauce (can be bought by the jar). Done.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...s/photo-34.jpg

Zoji rice cookers can be found on amazon. We bought ours in little Tokyo, but I think the prices on amazon may actually be slightly better. :cert:

Just made this for Maribel. She and I both loved it. I didn't know about the Katsu sauce, but I will watch for it the next time I go grocery shopping.

This is so good, I would think it a crime to smother it in curry sauce. It is delicious by itself. :hurray:

Sea Six 03-15-2012 5:16pm

Got the katsu sauce. Gonna try it tonight.

Vette40th 03-15-2012 5:23pm

Awesome write up.

Sea Six 03-16-2012 8:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six
Got the katsu sauce. Gonna try it tonight.

Omfg the katsu sauce puts me in heaven!!

This dish may be even better than the curry itself, if that's possible.

NEED-A-VETTE 03-19-2012 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 611970)
Omfg the katsu sauce puts me in heaven!!

This dish may be even better than the curry itself, if that's possible.

It's definitely good. :D

Sea Six 04-22-2012 1:57am

Had Curry and Katsu chicken again tonight. It had been too long!!

Yummy.

:)

NEED-A-VETTE 04-24-2012 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 641974)
Had Curry and Katsu chicken again tonight. It had been too long!!

Yummy.

:)

I talked to both my sisters this weekend...

My sister in Texas was making up a batch with the help of IC's daughter, Michelle, on Friday. (It's one of Michelle's most requested dishes when she comes to visit. :D)

Then talked to my other sister in Wisconsin on Sunday. She was making up a big batch, too. :rofl:

Sea Six 09-26-2012 3:12pm

I just made a batch using chicken. It's a good hearty meal when you're camping in the middle of nowhere!

:yesnod:

It's also a good choice in an RV because it's a one-pot meal.