The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Nothing to See Here: Stevie Wonder permanently moving (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125116)

DJ_Critterus 02-25-2021 10:10am

Nothing to See Here: Stevie Wonder permanently moving

I laughed so hard it hurt when I read the bolded part. :funnier:

Quote:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...na-permanently

Stevie Wonder has plans to move on.

The 70-year-old music icon recently opened up for an interview with Oprah Winfrey, where he revealed that he plans to permanently relocate to Ghana, a country in western Africa.

"I want to see this nation smile again and I want to see it before I leave ... to move to Ghana," the singer said in a clip published by Punch Newspapers. "Because I'm going to do that."

When asked by Winfrey if he's planning to move permanently, Wonder responded: "I am."

STEVIE WONDER GIVES FANS HEALTH UPDATE AFTER KIDNEY TRANSPLANT: 'MY VOICE FEELS GREAT'

"I don't want to see my children's children's children have to say, 'Oh, please like me, please, please respect me, please know that I'm important, please value me,'" he explained.

In 1994, the "Superstition" singer told a Washington gathering of the International Association of African American Music that he had grown fond of Ghana while visiting.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, he said he feels that "there's more of a sense of community there."

Wonder was born in Michigan in 1950 and grew up to become a Motown music star and pioneer despite being blind.

For his work, he's earned 25 Grammys and 74 nominations total. He also won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for the song "I Just Called to Say I Love You," which was used in the film "The Woman in Red."

The star underwent a health ordeal a little over a year ago, telling viewers at a news conference last year that he was "blessed with a new kidney" in December 2019.

"Since I have been released from the hospital, the nurses have made sure I’ve taken my medicine on time and I’m going to do it for as long as I have to, even if it is the rest of my life. I feel great. My voice feels great," he said at the October conference, according to The Associated Press. "I feel like I’m about 40 right now and I just thank everyone for the prayers and the love."

He went on to assure his fans that he would let them know if there was anything to worry about, urging them not to listen to rumors.

"And for all of the people that have been listening to these rumors, listen, if I’m feeling some kind of way, I’ll let you know," he added. "We don’t want to have misinformation. I am alive and well."

JRD77VET 02-25-2021 8:54pm

Big difference between legally blind and completely blind :yesnod:

Mike Mercury 03-01-2021 9:14am

https://www.guide4moms.com/wp-conten...-XYAAmJcl.jpeg

Bill 03-01-2021 10:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1861772)
I laughed so hard it hurt when I read the bolded part. :funnier:

Quote:

In 1994, the "Superstition" singer told a Washington gathering of the International Association of African American Music that he had grown fond of Ghana while visiting.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, he said he feels that "there's more of a sense of community there."

Wait. Whut? You're telling me a homogeneous country has more of a sense of community than a country Balkanized by immigration and encouraged to pit sub groups against each other? Who would have ever thought.......

Iron Chef 03-01-2021 4:03pm

Sense of community??? When is the last time Stevie Wonder actually went out socializing amongst the general public? This is the country that made Stevie Wonder who he is, and now suddenly his surroundings (and his $110 million portfolio) isn't enough to grant him the happiness he feels he so richly deserves? Perhaps life was more fulfilling when he was a blind 5 year old kid playing a harmonica in Detroit. What's he going to do in Ghana? Open a community center and offer free piano and Braille lessons? I'm betting not.

I actually saw Stevie Wonder in concert in Las Vegas a few years ago. He's a supremely talented performer, but the last time he had a hit song was over 30 years ago. And whenever he strayed from Songs In The Key of Life or Innervisions, the audience practically went to sleep.

I really get a kick out of celebrities that do things like this. Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, Billy Crystal, etc. People who haven't done shit in 20+ years who desperately try to get their name out and draw attention to themselves, so they rail against conservatives or perform some sort of grandstanding behavior by issuing press releases that they're leaving the USA.

Best o' luck, Stevie.

Bill 03-01-2021 5:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1862997)
Sense of community??? When is the last time Stevie Wonder actually went out socializing amongst the general public? This is the country that made Stevie Wonder who he is, and now suddenly his surroundings (and his $110 million portfolio) isn't enough to grant him the happiness he feels he so richly deserves? Perhaps life was more fulfilling when he was a blind 5 year old kid playing a harmonica in Detroit. What's he going to do in Ghana? Open a community center and offer free piano and Braille lessons? I'm betting not.

I actually saw Stevie Wonder in concert in Las Vegas a few years ago. He's a supremely talented performer, but the last time he had a hit song was over 30 years ago. And whenever he strayed from Songs In The Key of Life or Innervisions, the audience went practically went to sleep.

I really get a kick out of celebrities that do things like this. Susan Sarandon, Alec Baldwin, Billy Crystal, etc. People who haven't done shit in 20+ years who desperately try to get their name out and draw attention to themselves, so they rail against conservatives or perform some sort of grandstanding behavior by issuing press releases that they're leaving the USA.

Best o' luck, Stevie.

Maybe he knows Biden is going to raise income taxes and he's fleeing to preserve his wealth?

BayouCountry 03-01-2021 5:46pm

:kimblair:

Iron Chef 03-01-2021 5:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1863035)
Maybe he knows Biden is going to raise income taxes and he's fleeing to preserve his wealth?

You know what? Biden didn't even enter my mind...nor does he 99% of the time. I could honestly give 2 ****s about Biden. I just find this self-absorbed behavior mind-bendingly ignorant. Period.

RMVette 03-01-2021 6:15pm

I hope he takes several others with him.

Bill 03-01-2021 6:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1863048)
I hope he takes several others with him.

I don't. Here's why. I would imagine that Stevie Wonder pays more income taxes than most folks. He's a maker, in a nation of takers. If we start running off the makers, like New York, Illinois and California are already doing on a state scale, that means the slack has to be picked up by the rest of us makers.

for the 47% of Americans who don't pay FICA, I would imagine they don't care which makers are paying, because whoever it is, it ain't them.

69camfrk 03-01-2021 7:27pm

America afforded him the wealth that he has accumulated. Now he can enjoy some third world shit ass country, which is all he deserves.

BayouCountry 03-01-2021 7:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1863077)
America afforded him the wealth that he has accumulated. Now he can enjoy some third world shit ass country, which is all he deserves.

Actually, Ghana is currently doing pretty well. The little detail that Stevie doesn't take into account is the stability and safety in that part of the world. Except for the inner cities, I doubt there is any safer place to live than America.