The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hey, Val! You need train cabins. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128834)

NEED-A-VETTE 06-22-2022 9:22pm

Hey, Val! You need train cabins.

1 Attachment(s)
This place is doing for $351 a night! :willy:

Get some property. Set up about 10 of these suckers. Win! :funny:

Attachment 66972

https://www.vacasa.com/unit/71488

bill_daniels 06-22-2022 9:35pm

I mean, $ 351 is a little high to enter the caboose, but not horribly out of line if you're getting a well cared for caboose.

:ohnoes:

:hide:

:leaving:

:

Steve_R 06-22-2022 9:45pm

Pretty cool, and not a bad price for what you get.

NEED-A-VETTE 06-22-2022 10:08pm

What happened to train cabooses, anyhow?

NEED-A-VETTE 06-22-2022 10:10pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1965210)
I mean, $ 351 is a little high to enter the caboose, but not horribly out of line if you're getting a well cared for caboose.

:ohnoes:

:hide:

:leaving:

:

Attachment 66980

Aerovette 06-22-2022 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1965221)

No longer needed I guess. Automation probably made them obsolete. It sucks. As a kid I always watched for them.

Old Ben 06-23-2022 6:01am

Quote:

They were considered non-revenue dead weight so were replaced by the End of Train devices. The little red light on the last car.

slewfoot 06-23-2022 7:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1965223)
No longer needed I guess. Automation probably made them obsolete. It sucks. As a kid I always watched for them.

When I was a kid back in NH, trains ran right through the neighborhood. During the winter, we would get real close and throw snowballs at them

Mike Mercury 06-23-2022 7:41am

years ago the wife and I visited a restaurant in/near Cincinnati that was made out of 3 train cars; I believe it was called the Victoria Train Station.

Loco Vette 06-23-2022 9:38am

Quote:

They got replaced by radios and end of train devices. Used to be where conductors would do their paperwork and where extra crew members necessary before radios came along would ride.

Loco Vette 06-23-2022 9:40am

Neat idea though. If you're looking for cabooses (cabeese?) I can point you in the right direction.

dvarapala 06-23-2022 9:40am

Quote:

No longer needed, in part thanks to FRED. :yesnod:

Aerovette 06-23-2022 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1965300)
Neat idea though. If you're looking for cabooses (cabeese?) I can point you in the right direction.

If I had a bunch of out in the middle of nowhere property, I'd DEFINITELY own a caboose.

RMVette 06-23-2022 10:59am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1965319)
If I had a bunch of out in the middle of nowhere property, I'd DEFINITELY own a caboose.

I was sad to see the caboose go, another childhood memory of mine when I visited my grandparents in WV where there were a lot of coal trains.

22 of them have been repurposed at the University of South Carolina (where I graduated) beside Williams-Brice Stadium.

Attachment 66986

From the Gamecock article:

Anyone who spends time in Columbia quickly learns the annoyance of trains, but there is one train Gamecock fans, in particular, don’t mind.

The line of 22 converted railroad cars, known as the Cockaboose, is an active tailgate site that sits on an inactive piece of railroad beside Williams-Brice Stadium. Every car is painted garnet and looks nearly identical from the outside, but the interiors are subject to the taste of each individual owner. Most have wood floors and come complete with all sorts of appliances.

“Everybody finished them out in different ways; most of them were decorated quite nice,” former owner Susie Carlson said. “They had the big screen TVs, and we had a big long bar in ours, and they have nice little kitchens, and they have a bathroom and nice areas to sit. And it was fun to go in all the different ones to see how everybody had individualized their particular unit.”

Columbia businessmen Ed Robinson and Carl Howard are credited with the idea of converting and selling abandoned Illinois Central Railroad cars. The railroad cars were first collected and sold in 1990.

Each railroad car sold out in a mere two days for $45,000 each and had undergone no renovations since their original use. Just a short distance away from the original 22 lay a few larger railcars that were fashioned for the same tailgating purpose in 2005.

Each Cockaboose can still be bought or sold, typically for more than the price of an actual home. The most recent sale was in April 2021, when a duo with a shared deck sold for around $379,000, but the asking price for single units can range from around $200,000 to around $400,000.

There are many things that owners love about the Cockabooses as a tailgate spot, including the location and the comradery between owners and visiting fans.

“The beauty of it, which I thought was pretty cool, was you’d always have these people from visiting teams, fans, and they would always want to come in and check it out, and they’d leave and go, 'Wow, this is cool,'” former owner Stan Harpe said. “The location is probably the key issue there, that it is just right there beside the stadium ... You’re right there, you lock the door, and you walk 50 yards and you’re inside the football stadium.”

Often times, owners will also visit other cars.

“The fun thing was that you could go from one Cockaboose to the next and visit friends. The people in the next Cockaboose were good friends of ours, so we would go back and forth,” Carlson said.

Being an actual train, the Cockaboose sets itself aside from other tailgate traditions.

“You hear about it all the time, is the novelty. It’s unlike any other tailgate experience in the country, and I think that in that uniqueness of the Cockaboose is what separates it from many others aspects,” railcar owner Jeff Easterling said. “A lot of universities, especially in the SEC, have that (novelty). What I’d say is no one that we’ve found has any experience similar to the Cockaboose.”

Many people who have had the luxury of tailgating at a Cockaboose describe it as unbelievable.

“My wife jokes that she never wants to go back to a regular outdoor tailgate because we’ve been, quite frankly, spoiled by the ability to have access to a railcar or Cockaboose,” Easterling said. "Certainly, the Cockaboose is something that's recognized across the country as something that is unique to South Carolina.”

bill_daniels 06-23-2022 11:04am

Quote:

tailgating at a Cockaboose

snide 06-23-2022 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1965263)
years ago the wife and I visited a restaurant in/near Cincinnati that was made out of 3 train cars; I believe it was called the Victoria Train Station.

Yup. "National" chain with stores in the US and Canada. Used to go to the store in Vancouver occasionally when I was a young adult.

The only one that I know of now is in Burlington, MA. Don't know if it is still open though. :shrug:

NEED-A-VETTE 06-23-2022 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1965300)

If I had some unused land or property, I’d consider it.

Alas, I do not. :nonod:

86RAG 06-24-2022 6:25am

You used to be able to find these "diner cars" here and there years ago. This one in Rowley Ma is still going strong :yesnod:

https://www.theagawamdiner.com/

https://www.theagawamdiner.com/uploa...jpg?1619138644