The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   My tomato plants are going crazy (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123307)

MrPeabody 08-07-2020 4:47pm

My tomato plants are going crazy

We are picking 15-20 tomatoes every day, and this is from two plants. They are covering an area 3'X10'. The wife has had the cannery operation cranked up for several days. We have made tomato juice, marinara sauce and bloody mary mix. Today we are canning ketchup.

Stevedore 08-07-2020 5:18pm

We bought a few tomato plants & they must have been mislabeled, as most of them came up as cherry tomatoes. We have hundreds of them, so we're making "sundried" tomatoes from them in a dehydrator. Good in salads, on pizza, etc.

Raazor 08-07-2020 5:27pm

https://hosting.photobucket.com/albu...es/nfpmdf2.jpg

MadInNc 08-07-2020 5:36pm

Mmmmmmm. bloody mary’s

MrPeabody 08-07-2020 5:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1793500)
Mmmmmmm. bloody mary’s

We canned it in quart jars and it will go into Christmas gift baskets.

boracayjohnny 08-07-2020 5:53pm

Nice.

Eating home grown tomatoes vs store bought? Yea, I'll take off the charts tasting good vs licking cardboard.

Datawiz 08-07-2020 5:55pm

pics?

MrPeabody 08-07-2020 6:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1793513)
pics?

I don't have a decent camera and don't know how to post pics if I did. Quite often I'm glad this is the case.:yesnod:

Grey Ghost 08-07-2020 7:22pm

Congrats! Mine have done nothing this year! There is a local farmer that has some special variety that I can't think of the name of that are the best though. He leaves them on the plant for people to pick fresh.

JRD77VET 08-07-2020 7:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1793563)
Congrats! Mine have done nothing this year! There is a local farmer that has some special variety that I can't think of the name of that are the best though. He leaves them on the plant for people to pick fresh.

Local farmer has 320 ( yes, three hundred twenty ) types of tomatoes growing at his farm

https://www.mcall.com/entertainment/...tq4-story.html

We have 6 large tomato plants that are just starting and one yellow cherry tomato plant that is going bonkers. I'm taking a couple dozen cherry tomatoes in every other day and the guys at work are eating them up :hurray:

Nice and sweet too :drool:

MrPeabody 08-07-2020 7:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1793563)

Last year I had several plants that got real big but didn't produce very many tomatoes. A neighbor of mine told me it was because of the lack of bees to pollenate them. He advised me to shake the plants every day to move pollen around. I've been doing that since they first had blossoms. I don't know if that's why, but something worked. I also use Miracle Grow every month.

Bill 08-07-2020 8:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1793525)
I don't have a decent camera and don't know how to post pics if I did. Quite often I'm glad this is the case.:yesnod:

Does your cell phone not have a camera? I can take award winning, Utah level pictures with my camera phone. The secret is to wipe off the lens before taking the picture.

MrPeabody 08-07-2020 9:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1793594)
Does your cell phone not have a camera? I can take award winning, Utah level pictures with my camera phone. The secret is to wipe off the lens before taking the picture.

My cell phone is 15 years old. It's one with the little slide-out keyboard. Very small screen and not very good quality photos. I hardly use it.

snide 08-07-2020 9:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1793525)

Ask Gene to email you his smartphone to take pictures with. Email the phone back to him and he'll share is inbox with us again. :D

:leaving:

Bill 08-07-2020 9:29pm

Aren't you in the 'Emerald Triangle?' What VB really wants to know is, how is that other crop going?

:rasta:

Bill 08-07-2020 9:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1793608)
Ask Gene to email you his smartphone to take pictures with. Email the phone back to him and he'll share is inbox with us again. :D

:leaving:

:rofl::rofl:

I spit out my lemonade on the monitor. Bastige!

Edit:

*his

:hide:

boracayjohnny 08-07-2020 10:47pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

FLEXjs 08-08-2020 9:12am

Nice problem to have. I love tomatoes. Tried for so many years to grow them here but we always got blossom end rot. Sucked to work so hard all summer and get few (if any) tomatoes. I think it's because we have a water softener so they have a calcium deficiency. At least that's what Google says.

I swore off trying to grow them years ago, but our son's friend gave us two seedlings about a month ago. Planted them on July 1st they were maybe 2 inches tall now they're over 4 feet. They grew so fast they flopped over. I was finally able to get some 4' bamboo stakes and prop them up yesterday.

I used a mortar and pestle to crush up tons of egg shells and put them in the soil so I am hoping to get some good tomatoes. If this doesn't work I will never try again.

MadInNc 08-08-2020 9:21am

1 Attachment(s)
My son came over and put up a small greenhouse.... plant are growing but I can’t find any tomatoes yet

Datawiz 08-08-2020 9:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1793694)
My son came over and put up a small greenhouse.... plant are growing but I can’t find any tomatoes yet

Looks like you took that picture about 20 minutes after the 4 o'clock hour.