The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dad's next great adventure - it involves me. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118071)

DAB 12-07-2018 4:42pm

Dad's next great adventure - it involves me.

just got off the phone with dad, he'll be 82 next May, and he sounded like a 14 year old, all giddy with expectation.

the north fork highway, that goes from Cody, WY to the eastgate of yellowstone, is populated with Bison that come out of the park in fall and winter. and the game and fish boys want some of these bison shot. so they have an annual lottery, held in Jan/Feb to draw permits. you find out if you have drawn a permit in the spring. if so, hunting season is that fall, once the bison start to come out of the park.

so dad called and wanted to know if i'd want to split a bison with him if he can get one. SURE!

a mature bull will run 1500-2000 lbs on the hoof, so we'd likely harvest about 1/2 that weight in meat. :faint: say 400-600 lbs each in the freezer. :sneaks:

so he will apply, and if he gets drawn, then i need to get to work to sight in the 300 magnum rifle (20 rounds in a day is a long day of shooting), and it may need a new scope. and we'd definitely would need a new freezer or 2 to hold everything.

did i mention he's going to be 82? he's been hunting since he was in grade school, taking his 22 rifle to school, having the teacher hold it until school was done, and then heading out to the woods for squirrel, rabbit, whatever would go on the table that night (his mom was an expert at skinning squirrels). it's what gets him motivated to see another season.

i better bring 2 sharp knives. :faint:

how do you eat a 2000lb bison? one bite at a time. :yum:

MrPeabody 12-07-2018 4:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1651960)
just got off the phone with dad, he'll be 82 next May, and he sounded like a 14 year old, all giddy with expectation.

the north fork highway, that goes from Cody, WY to the eastgate of yellowstone, is populated with Bison that come out of the park in fall and winter. and the game and fish boys want some of these bison shot. so they have an annual lottery, held in Jan/Feb to draw permits. you find out if you have drawn a permit in the spring. if so, hunting season is that fall, once the bison start to come out of the park.

so dad called and wanted to know if i'd want to split a bison with him if he can get one. SURE!

a mature bull will run 1500-2000 lbs on the hoof, so we'd likely harvest about 1/2 that weight in meat. :faint: say 400-600 lbs each in the freezer. :sneaks:

so he will apply, and if he gets drawn, then i need to get to work to sight in the 300 magnum rifle (20 rounds in a day is a long day of shooting), and it may need a new scope. and we'd definitely would need a new freezer or 2 to hold everything.

did i mention he's going to be 82? he's been hunting since he was in grade school, taking his 22 rifle to school, having the teacher hold it until school was done, and then heading out to the woods for squirrel, rabbit, whatever would go on the table that night (his mom was an expert at skinning squirrels). it's what gets him motivated to see another season.

i better bring 2 sharp knives. :faint:

how do you eat a 2000lb bison? one bite at a time. :yum:

Maybe look into leasing a commercial freezer, if you only need it for a certain amount of time. You may even be able to lease freezer space offsite.

DAB 12-07-2018 5:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1651962)
Maybe look into leasing a commercial freezer, if you only need it for a certain amount of time. You may even be able to lease freezer space offsite.

i'll put it in the shop.

StaticCling 12-07-2018 5:06pm

Damn! Does your dad want another son? :Jeff '79:

That is awesome!

DAB 12-07-2018 5:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1651966)

That is awesome!

i think i'm enough (more than enough some days).

but, if this all pans out, this time next year i'll be having Bison on a regular basis.

come visit, we'll feast!

JRD77VET 12-07-2018 8:07pm

Fantastic on the opportunity :cool1:

Bison is fantastic eating :drool: Friends of ours raise bison for meat. It's also where we got our first Greater Swiss Mountain Dog, Mochi.
Here's the price list
http://hillsidefarms.biz/buffalo_sales.html

Some recipes/cooking tips
http://hillsidefarms.biz/buffalo_cooking.html

markids77 12-07-2018 8:54pm

Kudos to you both for living the dream! My Father is 85 now and has severe mobility issues, but we went pheasant hunting this year, and are making plans for next year's assault now. Of course his hunting is largely limited to riding with me while we sight hunt, but just being out where he grew up puts a huge smile on his face.
I hope you are wildly successful next year!!!!

Y2Kvert4me 12-07-2018 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1651966)

Yes, seems he wants a bi son. :Entropy:

:leaving:

MEANZ06 12-07-2018 11:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 1651994)
Yes, seems he wants a bi son. :Entropy:

:leaving:

:Jeff '79:

Rob 12-07-2018 11:42pm

I have a Remington 700 I use for hunting. Leopold scope. Once sighted in each year it is dead on and my freezer stays full. I need to eat up since I am about to be off work the next 4 weeks.

Black94lt1 12-08-2018 4:14am

What a great experience, I hope he gets a permit!

simpleman68 12-08-2018 10:36am

Sounds like an excellent opportunity Doug!
Would be happy to share freezer space for any extra meat you just can't fit. :D
Scott

DAB 12-08-2018 10:53am

Assuming he draws a permit, I may use this as an excuse to get a new rifle he can borrow. 340 Weatherby magnum. :smash:

JRD77VET 12-08-2018 7:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1652038)
Assuming he draws a permit, I may use this as an excuse to get a new rifle he can borrow. 340 Weatherby magnum. :smash:

Check out ammo prices before you commit to a Weatherby caliber :yesnod:

The only reason I have a .270 Wby ( winchester action ) is I found a great deal on just over 100 rounds of loaded ammo from my friend John's gun shop. Someone sold him a rifle and the buyer didn't want the loose ammo.

It shoots great but is kind of small for a 2000 lb cridder so I won't offer it to you.

DAB 12-08-2018 9:13pm

I’m well aware of Weatherby ammo prices.

markids77 12-08-2018 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1652038)

Stout recoil, elderly father... not the best idea perhaps???

ToolMaker 12-09-2018 10:25am

Cody is where my best friend lives and where I want to end up some day!
I wish you the best of luck! :cert:
We had a Bison roast one Christmas we visited them and it was amazing! :drool:

Datawiz 12-09-2018 10:43am

Bison is SO MUCH yummier than beef. :yum:

DAB 12-09-2018 6:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1652090)
Stout recoil, elderly father... not the best idea perhaps???

i already have a 300 Wby, with plenty of ammo in hand.

basically, i'm looking for an excuse to get a 340 Wby. he can use either one.

but 30-06 is not powerful enough for Bison. he knows the 300 will work (it did many years ago). but even that is a big step up from 30-06. BOOM!

JRD77VET 12-09-2018 7:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1652173)
i already have a 300 Wby, with plenty of ammo in hand.

basically, i'm looking for an excuse to get a 340 Wby. he can use either one.

but 30-06 is not powerful enough for Bison. he knows the 300 will work (it did many years ago). but even that is a big step up from 30-06. BOOM!

Perhaps a comp to reduce recoil as not to "punish" your Dad :yesnod:

I was at the gun club shooting when a Dad and his young son set up on the bench next to me. The boy had a Browning bolt action in .300 win mag with the tunable comp on it. I quietly questioned Dad about the boy shooting it and he said the comp reduced the recoil to where it felt like a .308 :yesnod: