The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   What's Cooking? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   The Official Thanksgiving leftovers thread! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59738)

lspencer534 11-29-2013 5:52pm

The Official Thanksgiving leftovers thread!

After yesterday's feast I couldn't eat supper last night...so I drank instead. All in all, a damned good day!

I brought home smoked turkey, yams, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, corn bread dressing, home-made rolls, and pumpkin pie from my daughter's house. I got an ample supply, at least enough to last me through Sunday.

For lunch I added a bit of chicken stock on top of the dressing and heated everthing thing up. Spending the night in the fridge does wonders to the flavor of smoked turkey and dressing! Tonight will be a turkey sandwich on wheat with mayo, lettuce, and tomato; baked BBQ chips, and bread-and-butter pickles.

Tomorrow for lunch will be the piece de resistance: A turkey, dressing, and cranberry sauce sandwich! Just spread some Hellman's mayo on the turkey side of the bread and stack it all together.

I am so glad that I stretched my stomach yesterday--I can't get enough to eat today!

MrPeabody 11-29-2013 6:04pm

We made up little turkey dinners - turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, and a vegetable in disposable Glad containers and froze them. Good microwave lunches.

My wife made home made bread yesterday, so good sandwiches today, of course.

lspencer534 11-29-2013 6:27pm

Before I forget:

Be sure to save the turkey bones from your Thanksgiving feast -- you can use them to make a pot of flavorful stock. Simmer them with some onions, carrots, and celery, and you'll have a freezable, low-sodium base for soups, stews, rice dishes, and more.

What You'll Need

5 pounds leftover turkey bones (with some meat still attached), broken into large sections if necessary
1 pound yellow onions, skins on, halved or quartered depending on size
1/2 pound carrots, cut into 4-inch lengths
1/2 pound celery stalks, cut into 4-inch lengths
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
8 sprigs parsley

MrPeabody 11-29-2013 6:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1078872)
Before I forget:

Be sure to save the turkey bones from your Thanksgiving feast -- you can use them to make a pot of flavorful stock. Simmer them with some onions, carrots, and celery, and you'll have a freezable, low-sodium base for soups, stews, rice dishes, and more.

What You'll Need

5 pounds leftover turkey bones (with some meat still attached), broken into large sections if necessary
1 pound yellow onions, skins on, halved or quartered depending on size
1/2 pound carrots, cut into 4-inch lengths
1/2 pound celery stalks, cut into 4-inch lengths
1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
8 sprigs parsley

I do this every time I cook a whole chicken. We always have good chicken stock in the freezer.:seasix:

lspencer534 11-29-2013 6:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1078875)
I do this every time I cook a whole chicken. We always have good chicken stock in the freezer.:seasix:

Home-made chicken/turkey stock is a lifesaver for soups and stews. The store-bought stuff, even with "stock enrichers", can't hold a candle to it.

MrPeabody 11-29-2013 7:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1078877)
Home-made chicken/turkey stock is a lifesaver for soups and stews. The store-bought stuff, even with "stock enrichers", can't hold a candle to it.

And far less salt.:seasix: