The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic Regional Events/Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   July 10th Mod Party Aftermath.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3339)

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 11:12am

July 10th Mod Party Aftermath....
 
I think our little get together yesterday went really well.

Many MANY thanks goes to our gracious hosts Mr. & Mrs. Shrek, who not only gave us an AWSOME place to play but also jumped in and got their hands dirty with us...and also thanks to Mrs Shrek for taking over and cooking dinner for the troops after Tom abandoned us as we worked late into the night.

I also owe a dept of gratitude and sever thousand beers to "Team C5" (Steve, Bart, Randy, and Kevin), because without them I would prolly STILL be standing there with the hood open wondering where the hell to start.

There was also a "Team C4" working on Lee's car, and plenty of friendly banter between the two teams as one team moved a step ahead of the other team, or one team did something wrong and had to take two steps back.

The morning started with Randy, Lee, and I running all over Carolina trying to find a few last minute parts that everyone THOUGHT would be something simple you could just pick up over the counter at any auto parts store...who knew header bolts were a "specialty item" and would take a week to come in. :skep:

Throughout the day there were trial and errors, victories, defeats, frustrations and terrified looks on my face as more and more parts came off the car....but at least there was no saw taken to my C5 like they did to Lee's C4....I think I would have passed out. :willy::willy::willy:

At the end of a LONG day Team C5 did manager to pull ahead to victory and complete the job before Team C4 :above::cheers::dance:

But in there defense, Team C5 stuck it out to the end, and as it got later, more and more of the Team C4 had to head out...plus C4 also basically has a Custom Exhaust by Shrek, as he was there fabricating pieces to make it all fit together correctly.

And all throughout the day, there was also consumption of mass quantities of food prepared by Master Chef and Chief Plug Wire breaker Tom, and Mrs. Shrek.

Can't wait till the next one...:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 11:39am

Team C5
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0028.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...DSC_0033-1.jpg
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0047.jpg

Team C4
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0045.jpg

Team Immoral Support
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0048.jpg

It started to POUR some we Steve pulled the C3 in since it leaks just a little (It is being guarded by Mrs. Shrek, and Jimmy
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0049.jpg

Late into the night, the cars are STILL on the lifts
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0056.jpg
but as my Vert was finished, all attention was directed towards Lee's C4
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0058.jpg

Custom Exhausts by Shrek
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0067.jpg

With all the nice cars that were there, there was a Calloway that demanded and got a lot of attention
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC_0066.jpg

tomurphjr 07-11-2010 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy (Post 41215)
I think our little get together yesterday went really well.

Many MANY thanks goes to our gracious hosts Mr. & Mrs. Shrek, who not only gave us an AWSOME place to play but also jumped in and got their hands dirty with us...and also thanks to Mrs Shrek for taking over and cooking dinner for the troops after Tom abandoned us as we worked late into the night.

I also owe a dept of gratitude and sever thousand beers to "Team C5" (Steve, Bart, Randy, and Kevin), because without them I would prolly STILL be standing there with the hood open wondering where the hell to start.

There was also a "Team C4" working on Lee's car, and plenty of friendly banter between the two teams as one team moved a step ahead of the other team, or one team did something wrong and had to take two steps back.

The morning started with Randy, Lee, and I running all over Carolina trying to find a few last minute parts that everyone THOUGHT would be something simple you could just pick up over the counter at any auto parts store...who knew header bolts were a "specialty item" and would take a week to come in. :skep:

Throughout the day there were trial and errors, victories, defeats, frustrations and terrified looks on my face as more and more parts came off the car....but at least there was no saw taken to my C5 like they did to Lee's C4....I think I would have passed out. :willy::willy::willy:

At the end of a LONG day Team C5 did manager to pull ahead to victory and complete the job before Team C4 :above::cheers::dance:

But in there defense, Team C5 stuck it out to the end, and as it got later, more and more of the Team C4 had to head out...plus C4 also basically has a Custom Exhaust by Shrek, as he was there fabricating pieces to make it all fit together correctly.

And all throughout the day, there was also consumption of mass quantities of food prepared by Master Chef and Chief Plug Wire breaker Tom, and Mrs. Shrek.

Can't wait till the next one...:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

:lolsmile:

I only broke 2 of the 6 I pulled....:D

YorkL8apex 07-11-2010 12:01pm

So did Lee's car ever make it out of Moyock?

How did your car sound when it was finally taken off the respirator and brought back to life?

SteveG75 07-11-2010 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex (Post 41223)
So did Lee's car ever make it out of Moyock?

How did your car sound when it was finally taken off the respirator and brought back to life?

Well at 10PM, they were getting ready to weld up Lee's exhaust so hopefully he got out of there before midnight.

Joe's car sounded great. Very smooth and fired right up once we untangled the serpentine belt (don't ask).

OIF2XVET 07-11-2010 1:18pm

great pics sounds like you all had a blast, wish I was there (kinda).

FastZR-1 07-11-2010 3:44pm

Well documented. The last time I put headers on a C4 (LT5) it took me three weeks of working a couple hours each night in the garage on my back with the car on jack stands. So, one day is pretty good even if it took until midnight.
It sure is nice working in an air conditioned garage with plenty of room, lights, and lifts, huh? Sure beats the old garage Shrek had in Va Bch. I remember some of those fun times we had up there taking cars apart and putting them back together.

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 4:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex (Post 41223)
So did Lee's car ever make it out of Moyock?

Yup, he made it home fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex (Post 41223)
How did your car sound when it was finally taken off the respirator and brought back to life?

It sounds good....it has awoken a beast...now it just needs to find the right voice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG75 (Post 41224)
Well at 10PM, they were getting ready to weld up Lee's exhaust so hopefully he got out of there before midnight.

We got done right about Midnight...Lee and Jeff had to do some fabricating...but now it is truly a custom job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveG75 (Post 41224)
Joe's car sounded great. Very smooth and fired right up once we untangled the serpentine belt (don't ask).

And we caught it very quick so there was no damage to the belt. :cheers:

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 4:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FastZR-1 (Post 41237)
Well documented. The last time I put headers on a C4 (LT5) it took me three weeks of working a couple hours each night in the garage on my back with the car on jack stands. So, one day is pretty good even if it took until midnight.
It sure is nice working in an air conditioned garage with plenty of room, lights, and lifts, huh? Sure beats the old garage Shrek had in Va Bch. I remember some of those fun times we had up there taking cars apart and putting them back together.

There are more pics in the original thread that Tony and Tom took. Jeff and Mrs. Shrek also had some pics, and hopefully they will be posted up soon.


BTW, I took tools to my car and did not break anything...and they were not even Fisher-Price tools. :lolsmile:

zz4vetteguy 07-11-2010 4:34pm

I just got back from Jeff's place again...I had such a good time, I had to go back and visit...I even brought my father this time....

Actually my father ran me down there with his Duramax to pick up the used parts and coolers and such...and when he saw the place he was like. :o_o: :bread: ....although somehow he manage to notice there was a reloading bench in the far corner before he noticed the 2 four post lifts and 4 Corvettes sitting right in front of him. :skep:

Jeff and I were talking and both agreed we need to do this again with maybe some easier projects, so next time I have to refill my washer fluid, it will be Mod Party Time again. :dance::cheers::hurray: :D:lolsmile: :leaving:

leec4ce 07-12-2010 11:33am

First MANY THANKS go to Shrek, My car would still be Moyock if it were not for his help and guidance and the C4 knowledge he provided.:thumbs:

Thanks to Tom for doing a fine job as team’s hospitality “B”.:cheers:

Tony glad to see the myth was broken; you do get your hands dirty. :thumbs:

Thanks to Mrs Shrek for allowing us to disrupt a Saturday and putting up with us. :groupwave:

Thanks to everyone else who came out and supported the efforts of TEAM C5and Team C4. :grouphug: The support was welcome in keeping both teams going. At one point the Monkey was beating the football 17 to 0 with the Ratpack becoming the “MonkeyPack” :monkey: but around 30 past Midnight the Ratpack kicked the monkey out of the garage for a final score 20 to 17 as I pulled off the lift with headers and a “Custom Exhaust” by Shrek. Car sounds and feels great, even got a comment from my wife “your car sound different sounds meaner”.

Steve (ok to 10pm) ,Bart, Randy and Joe thanks for sticking it out to the very end kicking that :monkeybutt:

zz4vetteguy 07-13-2010 4:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by leec4ce (Post 41282)
Steve (ok to 10pm) ,Bart, Randy and Joe thanks for sticking it out to the very end kicking that :monkeybutt:

I was just sticking around to see how many more times the saw was coming out. :leaving:

Shrek 07-13-2010 5:36am

WOW, that was awesome!! I think I finally recovered enough to post something! Those all day wrenching marathons aren't as easy as they used to be. Guess I really am getting old.

First off, let me say it was my pleasure to host such a great bunch of Corvette nuts! Secondly (is that a word) Great job by everyone to get two sets of headers done on the same day. I mean "EVERYONE" Whether you were wrenching, cooking, handing tools, finding parts, or just providing moral support, it was a grand effort with grand results!

Once we figured out that the "C5 expert" was going to be a no show (thanks for the heads up by the way), the standby crew sprung into action and got'r done. I have to admit that it was quite comical to raise up from our C4 patient occasionally and listen to some of the colorful bantering coming from under Joe's ride.

Lee, what can I say, that LT4 header install brought back a flood of racecar memories I had erased from my mind long ago. Memories that I will now hold onto and add these to them. Though we took a tad longer, I think we did twice the amount of work as the C5 crew did. Thanks for letting me use every tool in my arsenal on your baby! I don't recall the instructions mentioning a BFH, a grinder, or a sawzall, do you? By the time we got to the welder, I was TIRED,TIRED, TIRED, and I could see you were right there with me!!! The welds weren't pretty, but they should hold for many, many miles of Corvette driving!

OK, enough of my babbling, here's a few pics we took.

I think these chairs worked as hard as any tool we used!
http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/025.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/023.jpg


http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/012.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/017.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/022.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/019.jpg

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/011.jpg




OK Tony, you don't have to stop the work to ask if you can have another hotdog, there are more than enough for everyone!!

http://i446.photobucket.com/albums/q...-10-10/001.jpg


:cheers:

leec4ce 07-13-2010 7:00am

Threw the instructions away when you brought out the BFH, grindder and the SawZaw :above:

Being that it was 12 mid-night they were some of the prettiest welds I have ever seen!

Z51 Silver Surfer 07-13-2010 5:00pm

First of all I want to thank our most wonderful host for allowing(putting up with)us till the wee hours of the night!! :above:

Joe and Lee thanks for allowing me to be involved and turning a few wrenches on your Vettes. I had a great time hanging out with some good people and having some good laughs as well as a few bad words when things didn't go the way we thought they should.

I know I speak for myself as well as my dad when I say we would do it again(but bot in the near future! :lol:) It was great to be able to turn a wrench with my old man!! Things I do not get to do on a regular basis living where i do these days.

Joe I hope you enjoyed the day as much as I did and also learned as much as I did as well!! I can say that was the most I learned about the Vettes since I have owned mine! Now i know what not to do and what to do when I decide to get my headers for my baby!(pay someone to install them:o_o:) Sorry if we scared you a bit Joe when we kept taking things off! But we knew what we were doing:laugh:

I know when we were getting ready to leave me and dad were sitting waiting for Lee and Joe to take off first so just in case something happened we could give whomever a ride if need be. And glad that didn't happen!! Lee's car sounded amazing as he took off from the driveway!! We were following Joe for quite sometime and we could see his dash and no lights of any kind were on and Dad had said we must have done something right!! Joe came up to a stop light and we were behind him and once it turned green he got on it and I must say I would agree with Joe when he said he has awaken the beast cause when he took off his Vette sounded mean!!

I look forward to the next outing we have!

Randy

zz4vetteguy 07-13-2010 5:27pm

I don't think that I can thank Jeff (Shrek) enough for letting us play in his man cave. Or thank Team C5 enough for doing what they did, especially Steve and Bart who taught me a whole lot more then I knew when I started....like the Fuel Rail Covers actually come off. :D

Randy, near the end I was no longer scared of things coming apart (as long as there was no saw, BFH or torch involved...LOL), you have seen how I usually keep under the hood...I was really starting to get horrified on how dirty it was under the FRCs :willy::willy::willy: I also think it was cool that you and your old man spent all that time together...when we ran down Sunday to take the junk off Jeff's hands, my father said "Joe kept asking me to go, but I am too old for that s**t" :lolsmile:

We did get two very ambitious projects done, but the completed work, who did what, who cooked what, who ate what (Tony, how long did you stare at the hotdog chili trying to figure out if it was for us or something for Callaway? :lolsmile:), was not what made Saturday a successful day...it was the company of great friends. :cheers:

YorkL8apex 07-14-2010 6:49pm

If that chili was for Callaway I want to be on her diet!!!! Your Chicken bites were awesome!!!

To see that many guys spend 7 to 15 hours working to get stuff done for fellow Ratpackers was something to see. It did sound a bit like the Tuttles at OCC over on Team C5 for a while though:lolsmile:

Maybe I should just have Shrek fab me up some headers for the ZR-1:yesnod:

After driving the ZR-1 down to Moyock Tom thought my shift light might not be working so we did a quick diagnostic cruise and confirmed about a 7000rpm light setting:o_o: in first and second gear a :drivingskid:couple of times. I think he is sold on a 6 speed next Vette:yesnod:

Great hanging out with all of you Saturday, Shrek even let me turn a wrench or two in between handing him tools and catching heavy parts as they fell, were knocked, or sawzalled off the C4:rofl:

tomurphjr 07-15-2010 6:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy (Post 41394)
I don't think that I can thank Jeff (Shrek) enough for letting us play in his man cave. Or thank Team C5 enough for doing what they did, especially Steve and Bart who taught me a whole lot more then I knew when I started....like the Fuel Rail Covers actually come off. :D

Randy, near the end I was no longer scared of things coming apart (as long as there was no saw, BFH or torch involved...LOL), you have seen how I usually keep under the hood...I was really starting to get horrified on how dirty it was under the FRCs :willy::willy::willy: I also think it was cool that you and your old man spent all that time together...when we ran down Sunday to take the junk off Jeff's hands, my father said "Joe kept asking me to go, but I am too old for that s**t" :lolsmile:

We did get two very ambitious projects done, but the completed work, who did what, who cooked what, who ate what (Tony, how long did you stare at the hotdog chili trying to figure out if it was for us or something for Callaway? :lolsmile:), was not what made Saturday a successful day...it was the company of great friends. :cheers:

Joe, you said it all right there!! I know I'm not a vette owner anymore (3 weeks now), and I'm not sure if I'll be here or TN in the future, but if I do end up in TN, I don't think I'll find as great of group or people as yall! As much as I already miss the vette, I think I'll miss y'all and the comradery more! :cheers:



Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex (Post 41510)
If that chili was for Callaway I want to be on her diet!!!! Your Chicken bites were awesome!!!

To see that many guys spend 7 to 15 hours working to get stuff done for fellow Ratpackers was something to see. It did sound a bit like the Tuttles at OCC over on Team C5 for a while though:lolsmile:

Maybe I should just have Shrek fab me up some headers for the ZR-1:yesnod:

After driving the ZR-1 down to Moyock Tom thought my shift light might not be working so we did a quick diagnostic cruise and confirmed about a 7000rpm light setting:o_o: in first and second gear a :drivingskid:couple of times. I think he is sold on a 6 speed next Vette:yesnod:

Great hanging out with all of you Saturday, Shrek even let me turn a wrench or two in between handing him tools and catching heavy parts as they fell, were knocked, or sawzalled off the C4:rofl:

Yes, a 6 speed is in my future! Per Jeff (greenman) I have to say 6 speed manual since there is a 6 speed auto now.

Thanks for letting me drive it down. I can now say that I've driven a ZR-1. The 7000 RPM pulls were a blast! I might have left an imprint of my hand on your door pull though :D

4drvette 07-18-2010 7:50am

I know it has taken me a long time to get a post done, but my fingers have finally loosened up enough to use a keyboard. I thought for a while my hands would be permenantly shaped to hold a wrench.
I, however did learn a couple things: 1) When a vendor tells you thier product is a direct fit, be afraid, be very afraid! 2) Only count on 50% of the "mechanics" that say they will be there.

I would like to thank Jeff and Georganna for haveing us out there and enjoying thier garage. I personally could not have lasted as long as I did without the benefit of A/C.

And it was humorus and at the same time sad to watch Joe's face as we pealed the layers off his Vette to get the headers in. I could read the expressions: How am I going to remember where all this stuff goes if they leave me!:confused5 But we got it and Steve was a GREAT help in getting her done. Randy and I had helped his uncle with is '01 vert header install so we had fortunatelly been there done that. :dance::dance:

So once again thanks to everyone that was there, and I totally agree with Jeff (Shrek), lets do something less stressful next time............PLEASE!!!!!:beer::beer:

SteveG75 07-19-2010 12:04pm

What a great time. I think the best moment had to be the look on Joe's face as Bart was jacking up the engine, the car was getting higher, and we were talking about about not going to far so we didn't break the windshield.:rofl:

Still it all worked out and it went pretty well after that.

Still, not enough :beer: since we were so busy working, then so busy recovering.

But, looking forward to the next event. Anybody think we can swap a LS2/T56 combo into a C3 in 8 hours or less????


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:01am.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2021 The Vette Barn