The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   OLD PC Windows 7 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125417)

Aerovette 04-02-2021 4:49pm

OLD PC Windows 7

I have an old PC that I use for recording music. It serves no other purpose except an occasional net surf for a particular song.

Lately it has been telling me there is limited hard drive space. I have deleted everything I can off of it to strip it down to just the IS and a browser. It is still saying it.

I only have user access since that is what was on the post it that was stuck to it. There are some programs it says I need specific admin rights for.

Is there a way to back up the OS on to the cloud, reformat the hard drive (it's 500G) and then reload the OS? I do NOT have a product key or install disks.

Thank you

Rodnok1 04-02-2021 4:56pm

You can run a program to pull the product keys off the computer, it'll give you a print out.
I use Belarc advisor think its called. Then i wack the drive and start over, you can download the iso/installation stuff for windows needed and use a flash drive or burn to a dvd.
I keep copies so if a system burns up and i can't find the original keys i have them all on a printout.

Aerovette 04-02-2021 4:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1870810)
You can run a program to pull the product keys off the computer, it'll give you a print out.
I use Belarc advisor think its called. Then i wack the drive and start over, you can download the iso/installation stuff for windows needed and use a flash drive or burn to a dvd.
I keep copies so if a system burns up and i can't find the original keys i have them all on a printout.

Oh hell. Does BelArc do that? I forgot.

What's the process for getting the OS on to a disk or external drive?

Rodnok1 04-02-2021 5:11pm

If all you want to do is get an admin account that can be done.

I don't back up shit for programs, just any data i know i want to keep. Pics, music, etc.
If you have your edited data location just back it up and do a clean install.

Aerovette 04-02-2021 5:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1870818)
If all you want to do is get an admin account that can be done.

I don't back up shit for programs, just any data i know i want to keep. Pics, music, etc.
If you have your edited data location just back it up and do a clean install.

If I back up and reformat and reload, I'll be in the same place I am now. :island14:

Rodnok1 04-02-2021 5:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1870824)
If I back up and reformat and reload, I'll be in the same place I am now. :island14:

You must have misread... I do not backup the OS, clean install then you're an admin. Load only what you want to, throw in extra drive if needed for space(i keep one just for movies and music). If there is a specific program you need the data from back it up(export /import if needed) first.

snide 04-02-2021 7:14pm

Find all the cache folders and delete the contents. Delete the contents of the download folders. Run the defrag utility.

Grey Ghost 04-02-2021 7:52pm

How many partitions?

Wathen1955 04-02-2021 8:06pm

Run the following:
Clean out the recycling bin
Run CCLEANER (program you may need to download - it's free). Make sure you select all the browsers to clean them out which includes any cache files and cookies. It will state how much space can be recovered.
Run DISK CLEANUP (windows program) - clean up system files. I don't have 7 running, but I think it's under Accessories - System Tools.

dvarapala 04-02-2021 8:09pm

Install Linux on it. :yesnod:

MikeB 04-03-2021 9:14am

Buy a new laptop and be done with problems.

BayouCountry 04-03-2021 10:39am

I installed a SSD in an old laptop I use as a media PC connected to my TV. It's just about as fast as a new laptop. All I needed to do was login to MS with my ID to license Windows 10. The laptop came with Win7. I created an installer USB drive to load the OS.

Check out how hard it is to replace the hard drive before you try this. I did the same to my daughters laptop and it was a PITA to replace the hard drive.

Aerovette 04-03-2021 12:57pm

It's actually a desktop workstation. I was hoping it was a simple as inserting a USB drive, slide Windows in to it, dump everything, then insert the USB.

That's how easy it SHOULD be.

snide 04-03-2021 12:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1871085)
It's actually a desktop workstation. I was hoping it was a simple as inserting a USB drive, slide Windows in to it, dump everything, then insert the USB.

That's how easy it SHOULD be.

Is today your first day using Windows? :funnier::funnier::funnier::funnier::funnier: