The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   First time hog hunting (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120747)

SnikPlosskin 12-06-2019 5:35pm

First time hog hunting

Tomorrow. Must. Kill. Also tanneriite. Photos and video to come. :hurray:

69camfrk 12-06-2019 6:04pm

People kill the hell out of them here in Ga.

JRD77VET 12-06-2019 8:52pm

One of my coworkers went to TN two different times hog hunting. First time he used a bow ( and was successful ) . The guide was "glued to his side" with a firearm just in case. Steve admitted he was scared with just a bow.

Next time he used a firearm. The hog weighed about 300 lbs that he got. He came out of some brush, he aimed and BOOM. the hog went right down.

The guide asked him "WTF are you using?". Steve just smiled and said "12 gauge slugs" as he held up his Benelli Super Nova.

The guide smiled and said "That worked great"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good luck, have a safe hunt.

markids77 12-06-2019 9:03pm

I passed on a possibly 400 pounder here this year already. 3 inch 12ga double aught was probably not enough medicine at 15 yards. We were hunting deer.

SnikPlosskin 12-06-2019 10:14pm

1 Attachment(s)
Going with Ar15 and 12g slugs. We shall see. Anyone heard of porkalypse now?

JRD77VET 12-06-2019 10:27pm

Steve (coworker) said the fast, high powered bullets were passing right thru the hogs. Use the slug gun :yesnod:

Just in case you don't know, hogs are mean as hell and wouldn't think twice about tearing YOU up. :yesnod: ( I'd rather be "capt obvious" and tell you something you already know that find out you've been tore up by a hog )

z06psi 12-07-2019 6:03am

A neighbor (3 miles away) has already killed 45 back here this year. I need to get setup because I am noticing some rooting on my property.

69camfrk 12-07-2019 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1689188)
Steve (coworker) said the fast, high powered bullets were passing right thru the hogs. Use the slug gun :yesnod:

Just in case you don't know, hogs are mean as hell and wouldn't think twice about tearing YOU up. :yesnod: ( I'd rather be "capt obvious" and tell you something you already know that find out you've been tore up by a hog )

A buddy of mine showed me a video yesterday of some dudes hunting hogs with dogs. That is pretty big down here in Ga. A couple of dogs had the hog sort of hemmed up and then the pit bull got turned loose on it. That hog looked like a quarterback getting hammered by a 350 lb lineman. I honestly didn't realize a dog could hit THAT hard. I will see if I can get a copy of the video.:seasix:

snide 12-07-2019 10:54am

I thought that “hog hunting” meant going to the dive bars to pick up fat chicks. :shrug:

BOTY 12-07-2019 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1689186)
Going with Ar15 and 12g slugs. We shall see. Anyone heard of porkalypse now?

:rofl:

69camfrk 12-07-2019 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1689334)
I thought that “hog hunting” meant going to the dive bars to pick up fat chicks. :shrug:

The enlisted club at Mildenhall AFB in England (The Galaxy Club) had open nights back in the day, and they called it "Hog call".:yesnod:

SnikPlosskin 12-07-2019 4:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1689188)

I know nothing about stupid hogs except they stink. I shall be prepared to run away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1689218)
A neighbor (3 miles away) has already killed 45 back here this year. I need to get setup because I am noticing some rooting on my property.

Holy hell thats a porkpocalypse right there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1689323)
A buddy of mine showed me a video yesterday of some dudes hunting hogs with dogs. That is pretty big down here in Ga. A couple of dogs had the hog sort of hemmed up and then the pit bull got turned loose on it. That hog looked like a quarterback getting hammered by a 350 lb lineman. I honestly didn't realize a dog could hit THAT hard. I will see if I can get a copy of the video.:seasix:

My 100lb boy would shit himself. He stays at the cabin.

Quote:

That’s what I was talking about. People hijacked the thread and made it about porcine animals for some reason.

Actually client cancelled at last minute. We went to the range and attempted to sight in new rifles. Mine is worse than ever! Also, cheap shotguns kick like mofos. As to AKMs. He needs to get a shoulder pad for that thing. It’s like a cave man gun.

69camfrk 12-07-2019 5:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1689556)
I know nothing about stupid hogs except they stink. I shall be prepared to run away.

Holy hell thats a porkpocalypse right there.

My 100lb boy would shit himself. He stays at the cabin.

That’s what I was talking about. People hijacked the thread and made it about porcine animals for some reason.

Actually client cancelled at last minute. We went to the range and attempted to sight in new rifles. Mine is worse than ever! Also, cheap shotguns kick like mofos. As to AKMs. He needs to get a shoulder pad for that thing. It’s like a cave man gun.

Is it wrong of me to want a 6.5 Creedmoor now?:leaving:

99 pewtercoupe 12-07-2019 9:06pm

Another vote for 12 gauge slug rounds

Couple of years ago a friend from PA came down to GA for a hog hunt. He was using a Ruger .44 magnum. They were on foot. His guide was carrying a 12 ga with slugs in case he missed or didn’t get a head shot.

markids77 12-07-2019 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1689639)
Another vote for 12 gauge slug rounds

Couple of years ago a friend from PA came down to GA for a hog hunt. He was using a Ruger .44 magnum. They were on foot. His guide was carrying a 12 ga with slugs in case he missed or didn’t get a head shot.

My cousin put 3 full house 240 grain .44 mag flat points into the pig he killed last before it stopped running. We couldn't find any hollowpoints on short notice.

Olustee bus 12-08-2019 5:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1689218)

Dayum! Y'all gots a problem. I live in a National Forest here in Florida and have never seen one. Now that I said that, I will probably have one living under my cabin!

SnikPlosskin 12-08-2019 8:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olustee bus (Post 1689752)
Dayum! Y'all gots a problem. I live in a National Forest here in Florida and have never seen one. Now that I said that, I will probably have one living under my cabin!

They are really stealthy. We know we have problems here at the homestead because of the damage they cause but we never see them.

z06psi 12-09-2019 8:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1689774)
They are really stealthy. We know we have problems here at the homestead because of the damage they cause but we never see them.

Night Vision optics. :seasix:

6spdC6 12-09-2019 9:25am

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1689419)
The enlisted club at Mildenhall AFB in England (The Galaxy Club) had open nights back in the day, and they called it "Hog call".:yesnod:

These posts made me laugh! Way back when, we called the fat broads that put out easily and some times would "pull a train" sweathogs. That many years later (about 10 years later) was a term for the students in the TV show, Welcome back Kotter!:lol:

SnikPlosskin 12-09-2019 9:52am

We will go hunting likely next week!