The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Sign behind the counter at a local tourist-trap convenience store here: (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120286)

MrPeabody 09-17-2019 2:39pm

Sign behind the counter at a local tourist-trap convenience store here:

If you can find any item in this store at a lower price anywhere else, bring us the item with the receipt from the other store and we will cheerfully admit it.:lol:

6spdC6 09-17-2019 3:08pm

Our general store up at the lake is called the Vacation Store by us year around people. About the only things we get from the store are items that are factory marked for price.(state law they cannot change)

All gas stations up here including this one are about 30 cents more than down in civilization. Gas at the Marinas are about a dollar more per gallon than land prices. This store does sell a lot of gas to people towing boats!

MrPeabody 09-17-2019 3:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1683729)
Our general store up at the lake is called the Vacation Store by us year around people. About the only things we get from the store are items that are factory marked for price.(state law they cannot change)

All gas stations up here including this one are about 30 cents more than down in civilization. Gas at the Marinas are about a dollar more per gallon than land prices. This store does sell a lot of gas to people towing boats!

This store is also a gas station with a cheap motel next to it. All with the same owner. They are close to boat launch ramps and marinas too. On holiday weekends they will raise their gas prices several times, like they are trying to see how high they can go before people stop buying it. Buying gas here on the water is nearly double the usual pump price. Not much competition. Huge lake and only a few places selling it. Environmental laws make it nearly impossible to build any more.

mrvette 09-17-2019 4:23pm

Boat I used to tow the kids with had a 4 cyl volvo I/O on it.....used up a tank in an afternoon....maybe 3 hours......bought fuel at local station, never an issue.....tow car had a 22-24? gallon tank in it.....so plenty for that run.....

I put DPFI on it, ran with a GM computer.....junkyard injection setup from Volvo of course....total install time about a week, maybe 2 hours/day.....

:seasix:

MrPeabody 09-17-2019 4:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1683746)
Boat I used to tow the kids with had a 4 cyl volvo I/O on it.....used up a tank in an afternoon....maybe 3 hours......bought fuel at local station, never an issue.....tow car had a 22-24? gallon tank in it.....so plenty for that run.....

I put DPFI on it, ran with a GM computer.....junkyard injection setup from Volvo of course....total install time about a week, maybe 2 hours/day.....

:seasix:

I had one of those 4cyl Volvo engines in a boat. Whoever decided that a small 4cyl engine needed two carburetors was an idiot.

mrvette 09-17-2019 4:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1683747)
I had one of those 4cyl Volvo engines in a boat. Whoever decided that a small 4cyl engine needed two carburetors was an idiot.

Ummm.....been 30 years now, BUT I recall it being just a single bbl Solex.....

boat not all that fast but the injection allowed jumping THREE effective prop sizes for the effort....

went from 3 blade aluminum to same size cupped stainless, and a bit more pitch.....jeez it was either pitch or diameter increased....but not both....I fergit to 'member......

:dance:

MrPeabody 09-17-2019 4:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1683748)
Ummm.....been 30 years now, BUT I recall it being just a single bbl Solex.....

boat not all that fast but the injection allowed jumping THREE effective prop sizes for the effort....

went from 3 blade aluminum to same size cupped stainless, and a bit more pitch.....jeez it was either pitch or diameter increased....but not both....I fergit to 'member......

:dance:

I don't know how old mine was (someone gave me the boat) but it definitely had two carbs. Nothing but problems. It wasn't long before I gave it to someone else.