The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   High work ( construction crane inspection ) (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121272)

JRD77VET 01-11-2020 8:35pm

High work ( construction crane inspection )

Once you get over 40', it doesn't matter anymore but :willy:

BOTY 01-11-2020 8:37pm

I'm out. :leaving:

Steve_R 01-11-2020 8:41pm

Screw that, it looks too cold.

RMVette 01-11-2020 8:43pm

Oh hell no! I hope that guy gets paid well.

Rikki Z-06 01-11-2020 8:46pm

Nope not doing it. :nonod:

Cool 50th AE 01-11-2020 8:48pm

Didn’t watch.
I have the attention span of a nat.

99 pewtercoupe 01-11-2020 8:52pm

NFW :ack:

FLEXjs 01-11-2020 8:56pm

https://i.imgur.com/GY5ttFX.gif

Egnalf 01-11-2020 8:59pm

I have ridden outside hoists up 60 plus stories and had no issue with the height, whereas others were clinging on the cage for dear life. I have been up in the spire on top of liberty place before there were any walls. that said, I might be able to do that job, but cant say for sure. the view is amazing on nice days.

FLEXjs 01-11-2020 9:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1714706)
I have ridden outside hoists up 60 plus stories and had no issue with the height,

When I was younger I had no fear of heights. Jumped from a 70 ft quarry wall into water, climbed a 45 ft trestle bridge at my friend's cottage to dive off it, all kinds of stuff. Used to get drunk and jump of the roof of another friends house. LOL.

Now I can't even watch vids like this. Dunno what happened. Got old I guess.

markids77 01-11-2020 9:07pm

I was afraid until I took a 30 foot free air drop, face first from under a shelf while rock climbing. Cured me right up!

Egnalf 01-11-2020 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1714708)
When I was younger I had no fear of heights. Jumped from a 70 ft quarry wall into water, climbed a 45 ft trestle bridge at my friend's cottage to dive off it, all kinds of stuff. Used to get drunk and jump of the roof of another friends house. LOL.

we were working one overnight on a tower about 45 stories up. it was supposed to be a clear, dry night. at about four am it got cloudy but we thought nothing of it until it got cold and started pouring rain. climbing down and keeping calm was nerve racking.

JRD77VET 01-11-2020 9:11pm

Quote:

I have ridden outside hoists up 60 plus stories and had no issue with the height, whereas others were clinging on the cage for dear life. I have been up in the spire on top of liberty place before there were any walls. that said, I might be able to do that job, but cant say for sure. the view is amazing on nice days.

It's a mind set, confidence in your ability and a realization that you are responsible for your own safety, PLUS you must be safe for the safety of the others in your area.

I never did the outside hoists very high but did help place steel up to three stories. Added steel bracing ( beams) to One Penn Center on the roof when they upgraded the A/C in the early 80s. ( I went up and down in the freight elevator so much those days I felt high :crazy: )

Some of my fellow Ironworkers were completely unfazed by heights but they were also on the erection crews ( I did mostly the builds in the shop and helped install )

Lipstic 01-11-2020 9:21pm

Quote:

You are my brother from a different Mother.

No fear of heights at all.

Raazor 01-11-2020 10:20pm

****... Dat....

snide 01-11-2020 10:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLEXjs (Post 1714708)

Are you as old as DJ? :bigears:

:rolleyes:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 01-12-2020 3:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool 50th AE (Post 1714697)
Didn’t watch.
I have the attention span of a nat.

gnat

Stevedore 01-12-2020 8:09am

1 Attachment(s)
Out of the question.

Our bedroom (2nd floor) has has a loft area off of it that overlooks the family room; I don't even like going out there.

6spdC6 01-12-2020 8:19am

As a pipefitter/welder I did my share of high work. Mostly on the large towers some chemical plants use. Been up on top by climbing the ladder, riding in a work bucket and a couple times in a Bosuns chair. I got to admit working on the towers it was strange to see the birds flying much lower than where you were!:D Also worked a lot on the tall buildings of Albany's Empire state Plaza, (AKA South Mall)

After I took a 22' fall that busted me up, (fell off a slippery cigar tank) and spent 2 weeks in hospital and six months out of work I was the one that determined what I would or would not climb or ride. If I felt safe I would go very high, if t was a situation I was not comfortable I played ground man. That distance could be 5' to 500' it was my prerogative!

My FIL was a iron worker and did a lot of climbing, one of his sayings was once your over 30', height does not matter! Most of his work was in the no hard hat or safety harness era. He worked a lot in NYC and the bridges in the area!

Black94lt1 01-12-2020 8:38am

Years ago I’d say heck yes, today probably not