The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Pics & videos from the 71st Threshermen's reunion at Rough and Tumble Historical Assn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120058)

DAB 08-18-2019 6:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681199)
It's been used quite a few times already. The one guy used it to verify a #30 thread with 32 threads per inch. :crazy:

Next show is the A Time of Harvest Show October 11th & 12th

:D

a whut????

never heard of such a thing. what's that in inches? something like 5/8"? :willy:

JRD77VET 08-18-2019 6:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1681201)
a whut????

never heard of such a thing. what's that in inches? something like 5/8"? :willy:

That's why the US standardized threads in 1920. The #30 thread is .300 in diameter.

There was no rhyme or reason to manufacturer thread sizing so you were forced to purchase replacement parts only from them. Now if you want to produce an oddball thread size, you specify diameter and thread pitch. :yesnod:

DAB 08-18-2019 6:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681203)
That's why the US standardized threads in 1920. The #30 thread is .300 in diameter.

There was no rhyme or reason to manufacturer thread sizing so you were forced to purchase replacement parts only from them. Now if you want to produce an oddball thread size, you specify diameter and thread pitch. :yesnod:

ah ha!

long ago, we took a tour of one of the old DuPont mansions in Delaware. near the front of the property was the old garage, and it still had several old machine tools (including an old lathe i recall). i noted to the guide, that there were not Pep Boys shops back then, so if the car broke down (only the rich originally owned cars), you'd have your mechanic make a new part. thus the tooling on property.

same thing with your old machines. busted bolt? grab some bar stock and make a new one. :smash: heat treat? surely you jest!

JRD77VET 08-18-2019 7:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1681205)
ah ha!

long ago, we took a tour of one of the old DuPont mansions in Delaware. near the front of the property was the old garage, and it still had several old machine tools (including an old lathe i recall). i noted to the guide, that there were not Pep Boys shops back then, so if the car broke down (only the rich originally owned cars), you'd have your mechanic make a new part. thus the tooling on property.

same thing with your old machines. busted bolt? grab some bar stock and make a new one. :smash: heat treat? surely you jest!

:iagree:

Heat treating was usually case hardening

WOEII 08-19-2019 4:31pm

Needs me that super horn! lol Very nice show man! :cert:

JRD77VET 08-19-2019 7:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOEII (Post 1681275)
Needs me that super horn! lol Very nice show man! :cert:

Bill, I tell you every year you need to come out but no WOEII :slap:

Next year's Threshermen's Reunion is August 12-15, 2020

simpleman68 08-26-2019 8:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681146)
It's a long time tradition to blow the whistles at noontime to let all the folks know it's lunchtime.

This year, a ships horn was on site and it was LOUD. :willy: It's off a super tanker and has a 17" diaphragm.

Here's a video of folks milling about as the whistles blow at lunch. The steam building whistle starts it off and it's joined by the traction engines ( steam tractors) and the ships horn.

Lunch time at the 71st Threshermen's Reunion at Rough and Tumble - YouTube

Holy Hell that had to be loud. Kids had a blast at the last one we got them to.

I would like to have heard that ship horn in person.... just damn :eek:
Scott

JRD77VET 08-26-2019 8:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1681866)
Holy Hell that had to be loud. Kids had a blast at the last one we got them to.

I would like to have heard that ship horn in person.... just damn :eek:
Scott

I was in the Willock Building ( away for the loud end of the horn ) on Friday when they blew it. I could hear and feel it in the building with a bunch of engines running. :willy:

Ear plugs were used for filming on Saturday plus I was 30 plus yards away from it :yesnod: