The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Gun Related: What's the Best Way to Recolor a Pistol Sight? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119644)

Bill 06-26-2019 5:53pm

Gun Related: What's the Best Way to Recolor a Pistol Sight?

Nail polish? Hobby shop enamel paint? Luminescent paint?

And what's the best way to prep and apply it to the sights without making a huge mess?

What color? White? Yellow? Green? Red?

DAB 06-26-2019 6:01pm

following...

Bill 06-26-2019 7:02pm

2 Attachment(s)
Looks like these were night sights?

JRD77VET 06-26-2019 7:23pm

Hard to tell from your picture if they were night sights or if the paint just faded.

Night sites have a life expectancy
Quote:

How long do tritium night sights last?
12 years
The tritium that is in the lamps of your sights has a half-life of 12 years, meaning you can expect your sights to gradually dim. A lot of manufacturers will replace the lamps for a nominal fee. I'm pretty sure Trijicon will, and Meprolight probably does as well.Feb 11, 2010

What are night sights made of?
In a tritium night sight (such as the ones made by Trijicon), a glass tube is coated with a phosphorescent material and filled with a tiny amount of tritium. Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, with a nucleus containing two neutrons (whereas a “normal” hydrogen atom's nucleus has no neutrons).Feb 8, 2008

If you wish to paint, clean with acetone ( finger nail polish remover ) and using a toothpick, dab a drop of your favorite color(s) on the indents. Hobby paint and finger nail polish work. It's usually easier to find bright colors in finger nail polish ( more places to purchase )

Nox 06-26-2019 7:24pm

Best way is to get a new set of Trijicon night sights for it and install them. I have the same gun and have replaced the sights before. The tritium lasts a little over 12 years.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 06-27-2019 5:36pm

1 Attachment(s)
Tritium sights are great for night and I love fiber optic for daytime.
I've found the Rustoleum Industrial Choice flourescent orange a great
sight marker. I put it on some of my old Winchester 1890 rifles and it's great!

markids77 06-27-2019 6:41pm

I'm going to fight convention a bit and suggest you go with a basic flat black overall.
For me colored dots or contrasting front sights are distracting in any light except near darkness. The beauty of night sights is the inserts are generally not visible until there's insufficient light to focus on the front sight effectively.

Bill 06-27-2019 8:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 (Post 1674783)
Tritium sights are great for night and I love fiber optic for daytime.
I've found the Rustoleum Industrial Choice flourescent orange a great
sight marker. I put it on some of my old Winchester 1890 rifles and it's great!

I may go ahead and order some night sights for it, but I'd like to try a cheap fix first. How do I get that paint cleanly in the little holes? The toothpick application method? Spray it into a cup until I get a volume of liquid a toothpick will pick up?

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1674798)
I'm going to fight convention a bit and suggest you go with a basic flat black overall.
For me colored dots or contrasting front sights are distracting in any light except near darkness. The beauty of night sights is the inserts are generally not visible until there's insufficient light to focus on the front sight effectively.

It's basically flat black right now.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 06-27-2019 9:08pm

I just spray it in a bottle cap and use a toothpick if there is a dimple on the back of the sight or a
SMALL flat screwdriver if the back of the sight blade is flat. A Q-tip is fine if you mess it up and then just start over.

JRD77VET 06-27-2019 9:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 (Post 1674823)
I just spray it in a bottle cap and use a toothpick if there is a dimple on the back of the sight or a
SMALL flat screwdriver if the back of the sight blade is flat. A Q-tip is fine if you mess it up and then just start over.

:iagree:

StaticCling 06-27-2019 10:38pm

I've used testors model paint with good results...YMMV. Range guns though.