The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Nice ammo auction finds.......... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120448)

allthrottleandsomebottle 10-09-2019 4:24pm

Nice ammo auction finds..........

5 Attachment(s)
Korean vet's estate, 40 + weapons and accessories to go with it:D
What you see on the box is what is in them...…less than 1/2 todays prices just for each round
more to come

bill_daniels 10-09-2019 5:20pm

I guess they were a little looser about bringing back war souvenirs back in the day. Is all that old ammo still good? Reliable?

mrvette 10-09-2019 6:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1685313)
I guess they were a little looser about bringing back war souvenirs back in the day. Is all that old ammo still good? Reliable?

:dance::confused5: 60 y/o ammo......

be more interested in the guns....40 of them??? WOW!!!!

and in Va. too boot.....

JRD77VET 10-09-2019 7:02pm

Nice :seasix:

Quote:

:yesnod: As long as it has been kept dry ( not corroded / green) it will be fine to shoot. Older ammo may have corrosive primers. It's still safe to shoot but cleaning after shooting is mandatory :yesnod:

69camfrk 10-09-2019 7:29pm

Quote:

A bunch of it is in sealed tins. Plus the stuff in the ammo cans is probably fine too. Bet money it shoots like a champ. I have shot plenty of ammo that old in my Garand.:seasix:

bill_daniels 10-09-2019 8:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1685314)
:dance::confused5: 60 y/o ammo......

be more interested in the guns....40 of them??? WOW!!!!

and in Va. too boot.....

Wouldn't mind having whatever shot that linked .50 cal stuff lying around.

Grey Ghost 10-10-2019 8:06pm

Quote:

Even black powder from the civil war is still just as good as the day it was used. I've had a few friends blow themselves up and even die from live artillery shells from the war.

simpleman68 10-10-2019 8:10pm

Nice find! Wish I had some of the guns that took that ammo.

I need to step up my game and pending boating accident.
Scott

6spdC6 10-11-2019 9:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1685316)
Nice :seasix:

:yesnod: As long as it has been kept dry ( not corroded / green) it will be fine to shoot. Older ammo may have corrosive primers. It's still safe to shoot but cleaning after shooting is mandatory :yesnod:

Right on! I have shot a lot of WW1 ammo and 99% of it works fine. FWIW I fired off some WW2 .45ACP that was loaded in magazines for over 50 years and the ammo and the magazines functioned perfectly.

As noted above a good cleaning is mandatory!

mrvette 10-11-2019 9:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1685357)
Even black powder from the civil war is still just as good as the day it was used. I've had a few friends blow themselves up and even die from live artillery shells from the war.

You mean there still are unexploded LIVE rounds laying around in some forest/woods TODAY?? not all corroded and washed out by water/etc ??

that don't seem possible....

I can understand ammo stored/sheltered from weather, but laying round in some field/forest???

:issues:

6spdC6 10-11-2019 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1685411)
You mean there still are unexploded LIVE rounds laying around in some forest/woods TODAY?? not all corroded and washed out by water/etc ??

I can understand ammo stored/sheltered from weather, but laying round in some field/forest???

Gene I have watched a few shows about divers going to sunk ships from WW1 &2 (both Navy and cargo haulers)and they are worried about that ordnance going off. That stuff has a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG shelf life!

Grey Ghost 10-11-2019 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1685411)

Yes. I have even dug some relic hunting. I had mine defused. Someone that knows what they are doing will drill into the powder cavity and flush the powder out. Some people in smaller museums have no idea the shells on display are still live in some instances. It would take a LOT to make one explode. but, it is possible. Watch all of this video. He removes some civil war powder and puts a match to it.

allthrottleandsomebottle 10-11-2019 3:12pm

All this is non-corrosive from 55'-57' best I can tell including the sealed stuff.
Yepper, lots of unexploded rounds, even from the revolutionary war :D
Last year local museum had frag cannon balls in storage...……..10 still active via xray :yesnod:

RedLS1GTO 10-11-2019 5:15pm

If you want to sell any M2, let me know. :cool:

markids77 10-11-2019 7:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1685430)
Yes. I have even dug some relic hunting. I had mine defused. Someone that knows what they are doing will drill into the powder cavity and flush the powder out. Some people in smaller museums have no idea the shells on display are still live in some instances. It would take a LOT to make one explode. but, it is possible. Watch all of this video. He removes some civil war powder and puts a match to it.

Is this the guy who blew himself up in his driveway a few years back while "defusing" one of his specimens?

Grey Ghost 10-11-2019 7:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1685472)
Is this the guy who blew himself up in his driveway a few years back while "defusing" one of his specimens?

No. This is Tom Dickey. He was a well known authority on civil war projectiles. Also, brother to James Dickey of Deliverance fame.

There was one dealer that killed himself a few years ago in VA. Another local to me, friend, dealer, etc...that was defusing one and it blew up. Didn't kill him, but he was lucky. Got hit in the head with fragments and nearly killed him and his grandson. Another friend of mine stopped doing the work because of all the accidents. He even had a remote, underground drill rig setup to do it.

I didn't even bring mine in the house until it was defused. Only an intense fire could have possibly made it explode. But, I still felt leery about it being live.

After my friends accident the .gov went into his shop and removed every shell in there. He had thousands and thousands of dollars invested in them. They blew them all up at a remote location. Solid shot, defused, it didn't matter. And they still do the same today when they find one. It's still out there from Chatt. to Atl. and anywhere else battles or skirmishes were fought.

I thought mine was an old piece of rusted pipe when I dug it. I looked in the hole and could only see some rusted iron. I got my shovel/pick into the hole and flipped it out beside of me! I buried it in the back yard until I could carry it to my friend to defuse it.