The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   De-energized: Electric Ford F-150 Customers Unplug from Skyrocketing E-Truck Prices (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133056)

Bill 07-06-2023 5:19pm

De-energized: Electric Ford F-150 Customers Unplug from Skyrocketing E-Truck Prices

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%...ncel-orders%2F

Quote:

News About Ford's F-150 Lightning Causing Customers to Cancel Orders: 'I'm Out'
By Michael Austin June 28, 2023 at 4:37pm

It looks like Ford’s EV division is facing some serious setbacks.

A March projection for investors revealed the subsidiary expects to lose close to $3 billion by end-of-year, though Ford finance chief John Lawler dismissed the losses as nothing more than the cost of doing business for the EV division, which he describes as a startup within the company.

A recent spate of F-150 Lightning purchase cancellations may be a bit more of a cause for concern for company management, however.

According to a Ford dealership sales manager, buyers’ confidence in the vehicle has been falling in recent weeks due to price increases.

The vehicle’s original price announced in 2021 was $39,975, according to The Verge.

Today, the price is $59,974, almost exactly $20,000 more than Ford initially promised.

“What we’re seeing is that we are having a lot of customers just canceling theirs,” Bartz, who works at Long McArthur Ford in Salina, Kansas, told The Verge on Tuesday.

“Ford advertised a $40,000 electric vehicle, and that attracted a lot of people. Now we’ve seen price increases, and those people are like, ‘I’m out.’”

“Customers tell me that they were looking to get in at that $40,000 truck, but now that’s $60,000, and you can’t even get that truck since they’re sold out of them. Now you’ll have to pay $65,000 minimum; that’s just a whole different level.”
Would you buy a F-150 Lightning?

Of the 135 preorders for the vehicle overseen by Bartz at Long McArthur Ford, 40 had been canceled.

Martin Gunsberg, the Ford Model e-communications director, sent the following message to The Verge in regard to the price hike.

“F-150 Lightning pricing was first announced in May 2021 and in the two years since then, we have adjusted price due to significant material cost increases, market factors, and supply chain constraints,” he wrote.

Social media posts going back months indicate customers have been canceling their F-150 Lightning reservations for some time now.

First world problem, but I had to cancel my F-150 Lightning reservation due to massive (and I mean MASSIVE) price hikes and lack of heat pump on the battery. “Oh, you lose half your range when it’s cold outside!”

Way to botch it, Mr. Ford.

Maybe next time. pic.twitter.com/3j7xcrHzpo

— Rawrb (@rawrb) March 31, 2023

“First world problem, but I had to cancel my F-150 Lightning reservation due to massive (and I mean MASSIVE) price hikes… Way to botch it, Mr. Ford,” one Twitter user wrote in late March.

Dropping my Ford lightning reservation
by u/queens_level_3 in BoltEV

“The Lightning was my real dream car, especially at the original advertised bar price of 39k. Today they finally offered me the chance to place an order against my reservation from 2021. Lowest model available starts at 63k! You’ve got to be kidding me…” another former Ford customer wrote on Reddit.
Truth and Accuracy

DAB 07-06-2023 5:22pm

and GM is going down this same path.

hey, if you buy the truck, do you get a free supply of Bud Light (enough to fill the bed)?

Aerovette 07-06-2023 5:24pm

The government will absolutely prop up the horrendous sales. The government set the agenda and will not fail. They'll dump millions into the big three to force us to own EVs.

TheHammer 07-06-2023 6:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 2105887)
The government will absolutely prop up the horrendous sales. The government set the agenda and will not fail. They'll dump millions into the big three to force us to own EVs.

:withstupid:

Louie Detroit 07-06-2023 6:13pm

The age of Biden, every company is trying to gouge every customer every way they can.

LATB 07-06-2023 6:16pm

These are the Edsel’s of our time.

snide 07-06-2023 6:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2105884)
Would you buy a F-150 Lightning?

Nope.

JRD77VET 07-06-2023 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 2105885)
and GM is going down this same path.

hey, if you buy the truck, do you get a free supply of Bud Light (enough to fill the bed)?

Only if you get the option of Ben & Jerry's ice cream :slap:

Frankie the Fink 07-07-2023 5:30am

I won't own a truck that gets to pick its own pronouns..

Jughead 07-07-2023 5:51am

I'm sure the poor towing review had nothing to do with this change of heart.

:funnier:

MY03C5Z 07-07-2023 6:06am

But, but, if power goes out at your house you can just hook up the truck and whoala!!! A $60k generator!!! :rofl:

Onebadcad 07-07-2023 10:35am

ford sucks, gm sucks, uaw sucks more HUGELY,,, we suck for propping them up for decades.

dvarapala 07-07-2023 6:29pm

Ford and GM are ****ed. I'm on the waiting list for a Blazer SS but at $70,000 it's going to be a tough sell when a Model Y Performance is only $55,000. The Blazer is better looking but not $25,000 better. :nono: Yet Ford and GM can't cut their prices because they're apparently losing money on every EV they sell.

It's quite the pickle.

VatorMan 07-07-2023 7:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MY03C5Z (Post 2106035)
But, but, if power goes out at your house you can just hook up the truck and whoala!!! A $60k generator!!! :rofl:

So… there are actually bidirectional chargers that can do just that. In Cali, they actually pay people to drive to certain areas and let them suck your battery dry to offset their lack of ICE generation.
I’m actually investigating if it’s worthwhile at my facility to use bidirectional chargers to support vital buildings during outages.

Dan Dlabay 07-07-2023 7:28pm

I would never buy a electric car or truck. The only car I would buy that has a electric motor would be the new E-Ray Vette.:cert:

theandies 07-08-2023 3:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onebadcad (Post 2106176)
ford sucks, gm sucks, uaw sucks more HUGELY,,, we suck for propping them up for decades.

GOVERNMENT SUCKS.

LATB 07-08-2023 3:30pm

Ford should just build trucks and maybe the mustang and/or bronco.

LATB 07-08-2023 4:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ill Duce (Post 2106595)
Ford needs to un**** themselves and not build trucks that fall apart under warranty and then blame it on the customers

My Ford truck has not fallen apart. :island14: