The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   What's the stupidest thing you almost did but decided not to (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118364)

Broken Wind 01-08-2019 1:07pm

What's the stupidest thing you almost did but decided not to

Don't know why this just crossed my mind, but I just remembered a really stupid thing I almost did as a kid.

I liked to tear apart shotgun shells and use the gunpowder for other adolescent pursuits. I still have a scar on my finger from where the knife slipped once.

One day I was in the basement and got the bright idea of putting the intact shell in the bench vise and striking the primer with a hammer and a nail. I had it already to go and thought twice about it. What a friggin' disaster that would have been. :lol:

mrvette 01-08-2019 1:40pm

DAMN similar to yours OP........I reloaded a ton of .44 mag and so when shooting them, one of them just blasted the slug PARTLY down the barrel.....

and a buddy stopped me from firing the next shot.....:issues: :dance:

Cybercowboy 01-08-2019 2:00pm

Was working at a car wash, 16 years old. Three guys I knew pulled in to get their car washed, asked me what I was doing. Said I'm just about off work and have to go home to work on my car (a constant battle with that POS.) They tried to get me to come with them, they had somehow got a bunch of those little single-serving tequilla sunrise bottles. I told them I really couldn't. They left. I heard about an hour later that just about five minutes after leaving the driver was speeding down south Main St, couldn't make a corner by Wildcat Park, and crashed. The driver was instantly killed (partially decapitated.) The front seat passenger got all sorts of injuries including his left foot basically cut off. The guy in the back seat was ejected and broke his back in three places, among other bones. I never saw him again. The front seat dude, I saw him about a month after the wreck and he said they were talking about me missing out on the fun just as they left the road.

That's probably not even the stupidest, actually. Luckiest perhaps. :island14:

MrPeabody 01-08-2019 3:07pm

I can only think of the things I did do.:D

Like the two times I ran from the cops in my car. And it worked.

Aerovette 01-08-2019 4:22pm

Parachuting.

Loco Vette 01-08-2019 4:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1655480)
Parachuting.

simpleman68 01-08-2019 4:37pm

I'm with Peabody, it's a short list of dumbkoff sheit I DIDN'T do with a rather lengthy roster of those I did. :lol:

Some stupidity I dodged, in spite of myself:

1. Almost married the wrong girl

2. Ummm... damn, can't think of any others right now

In terms of brushes with death/disaster, far too many to list, but that's a different thread.
Scott

Kevin_73 01-08-2019 5:06pm

I'm pretty sure I have managed to carry through will all of my stupid decisions right to the very end. :crazy:

99 pewtercoupe 01-08-2019 5:31pm

17 years old, graduated from high school and had a pretty decent paying (but ultimately dead end) job. Was dating a girl who was a junior year and both she and her mom were making wedding plans already. I broke it off. Hard to tell which of them was more pissed. Six months later I met Becka and we have now been married for 42 years

Only regret........that gal gave great head :woohoo:

Jobaka 01-08-2019 7:08pm

I once contemplated getting married and starting a family.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Wind (Post 1655469)
What a friggin' disaster that would have been. :lol:

Yeah, no sh!t. :Jeff '79:

JRD77VET 01-08-2019 8:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1655480)
Parachuting.

:iagree:

I set up a sky diving trip for two weeks from when I called. During the week in between, the local weather guy died jumping from the same airport I was booked at. :sadangel:

I cancelled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_O%27Brien_(reporter)

JRD77VET 01-08-2019 8:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1655478)
I can only think of the things I did do.:D

Like the two times I ran from the cops in my car. And it worked.

Only a couple times in the car. Lost count on the cycle. :leaving:

Black94lt1 01-08-2019 8:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1655483)

I went with a group of 10 almost 20 years ago, static line jumps not tandem, so we had 6 hours of class before jumping. We were all scared sh*tless after 6 hours of learning everything that could go wrong. When it was my turn to jump, I let go and proceeded to bounce off the side of the plane several times scaring the crap out of my two friends still in the plane waiting for their turn to jump :lol:

C5SilverBullet 01-09-2019 9:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1655473)
Was working at a car wash, 16 years old. Three guys I knew pulled in to get their car washed, asked me what I was doing. Said I'm just about off work and have to go home to work on my car (a constant battle with that POS.) They tried to get me to come with them, they had somehow got a bunch of those little single-serving tequilla sunrise bottles. I told them I really couldn't. They left. I heard about an hour later that just about five minutes after leaving the driver was speeding down south Main St, couldn't make a corner by Wildcat Park, and crashed. The driver was instantly killed (partially decapitated.) The front seat passenger got all sorts of injuries including his left foot basically cut off. The guy in the back seat was ejected and broke his back in three places, among other bones. I never saw him again. The front seat dude, I saw him about a month after the wreck and he said they were talking about me missing out on the fun just as they left the road.

That's probably not even the stupidest, actually. Luckiest perhaps. :island14:

My brother has a very similar story. His friends showed up at our house to take him to a job they just got, but he said he didn't want to work that day (he was 15). My mom yelled at him a lot for being lazy. They had stopped and picked up another kid after my brother said no. Ten minutes after that they decided it would be fun to jump the car over rail road tracks on a gravel road. The kid they went and picked up was killed when they hit a concrete wall, and the other 3 all spent weeks in the hospital.

Chuck A 01-09-2019 10:37am

i posted then removed rather not remember insane times

BADRACR1 01-09-2019 10:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_73 (Post 1655486)
I'm pretty sure I have managed to carry through with all of my stupid decisions right to the very end. :crazy:

What he said...:BADRACR1:

LilRedCorvette 01-10-2019 1:17am

What's the stupidest thing you almost did but decided not to

...get married to the first fiancé :lol: called the wedding off just 2 months beforehand, too. :yesnod: Slept like a baby that night, no regrets :seasix:

Based on what I found out later on...I didn't just dodge a bullet, I dodged the atomic fking bomb :willy:

mrvette 01-10-2019 3:31am

Brutal facts of the matter, I should have never been born.....bad lo back, congenital defect called spondalytis L6.....extra vert that is very painful, and it's really hurting these daze....but WTF I got some 16+ years of pain relief by moving to Florida....I have bad arthritis in every joint toes to nose, and even my hands/fingers....

Sis is 13 years older than me...I suspect Mom had a few miscarriages between me and sis......but when Mom's sister got preggo with her only child, my male cousin, I suppose my Mom tried yet again.....

:issues:

snide 01-10-2019 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1655616)
...get married to the first fiancé :lol: called the wedding off just 2 months beforehand, too. :yesnod: Slept like a baby that night, no regrets :seasix:

Based on what I found out later on...I didn't just dodge a bullet, I dodged the atomic fking bomb :willy:

Wish I had had that foresight... :banghead:

Broken Wind 01-10-2019 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1655641)
Wish I had had that foresight... :banghead:

Meh, don't feel isolated. Most of us think with the wrong head. Whoever came up with the idea of not having sex before marriage knew something.