The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   This Is Why You Don't Hide Under A Tree During A Lightning Storm (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67300)

CertInsaneC5 06-08-2014 9:51am

This Is Why You Don't Hide Under A Tree During A Lightning Storm

This Is Why You Don't Hide Under A Tree During A Lightning Storm

:ohnoes: Holy Sheit!!!!

Ruffy 06-08-2014 10:03am

I prefer to hide under something really big and metallic with grounding wires from the metal thing wrapped around my nuts on the way to the ground.

DAB 06-08-2014 10:05am

well, that's why you don't hide under THAT tree. the rest of them were safe choices. :dance:

Mike Mercury 06-08-2014 10:13am

if you really want struck, wave a golf club over your head.

Chuck A 06-08-2014 10:13am

Very scary indeed

marrepka 06-08-2014 10:20am

Shocking!

simpleman68 06-08-2014 10:59am

SPAC is an awesome outdoor concert venue. Saw the Allman Brothers there in the Summer of '99.

Good gig and the first time I got to see Derek Trucks jammin'.
Scott

mrvette 06-08-2014 11:38am

Back in the 60's I had a TV customer who had a SECOND tree hit in his back yard, this second hit followed a branch to his gutters/downspout/antenna line and found his new Zenith color set in the basement, he was sitting in his recliner watching a game, and so the lightening literally fried the entire set, vaporized the steel in the tuner, blew out the power transformer, junk the set.....

now here is the scary part.....he setting there and when it hit, it vaporized ALL the wiring to/from the set, found the a/c to the house, and in the basement all the outlets and lights and wall switches started shooting arcs all around him and over his head, a regular light show, he was telling me about it, and I said no way man.....he look at the cover plates around the room, sure enough every one was burnt to a black friend crisp.....I about shit bricks at the sight of that.....I looked at him and said lucky to be alive, he just grins and says 'don't I know it'......this all in Northern Va. McLean area.......

here in Florida, I lost a tree in my back yard ~130' oak, blew out all the electronics for many houses around.....tallest tree on the hill according to the climber who cut it down....this was about 16 years ago.....

and about 4? years ago the guy across the street had one hit in his back yard, it split the 3' diameter ~100' trunk clean in two, opened it up so bad that when the felled it, the trunk split in two and rolled over on a guys foot, sending him to the hospital.....it blew bark all over the entire burb, one piece of bark hit a fan in my garage about 120' from the tree, and broke the housing bark stains on the broken piece that's how powerful that was, just missed the vette, I got lucky....but we lost all our electronics once again another round of replacement......

:issues::leaving:

DukeAllen 06-08-2014 3:26pm

My mom was watching tv one night way back when, when a storm came up, and a ball of lightning came down the chimney and hit the tv.

When I was a kid I was looking outside our window one day. Lightning hit the (ungrounded) ham radio antenna belonging to our idiot neighbors. The room lit up in a flash, I heard a loud boom, and I swear I couldn't see for a minute. Caused a small fire in their basement too :funny:

lspencer534 06-08-2014 3:58pm

A typical lightning bolt contains about 15 million volts of electricity and instantly heats up the air around it to over 60,000 degrees, with some reaching more than 100,000 degrees. That's why the total energy of a strong thunderstorm can exceed the energy released during an atomic explosion."

Hoog 06-08-2014 5:00pm

DukeAllen 06-08-2014 5:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1188046)
A typical lightning bolt contains about 15 million volts of electricity and instantly heats up the air around it to over 60,000 degrees, with some reaching more than 100,000 degrees. That's why the total energy of a strong thunderstorm can exceed the energy released during an atomic explosion."

and can even bring home a load of drywall...
http://www.fordtruckclub.net/forum/p...ed2_040408.jpg

Kerrmudgeon 06-08-2014 6:38pm

I went out with a girl years ago that was involved in a lightning strike. Her and a friend were under a tree that was hit during a storm. The tree.....and her friend, were split in two. She and the one killed were both thrown 2oft from the tree...she was just lucky. She's still traumatized by the image of that guy. :ack: :sadangel:

Bucwheat 06-08-2014 7:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 1187910)
I wood never do that! I'd leave there fast!

You mean ,leaf there fast.:lol:

JRD77VET 06-08-2014 7:47pm

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...ykwixscumo.gif

:willy:

Blue 92 06-08-2014 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1187888)
if you really want struck, wave a golf club over your head.

I was told to use a 9 iron since even God can't hit a 9 iron.......

JRD77VET 06-08-2014 9:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue 92 (Post 1188198)
I was told to use a 9 iron since even God can't hit a 9 iron.......

1 iron :yesnod:

joecaver 06-09-2014 4:06am

Wow!! I had a tree in my yard hit like that a couple of years ago. We were lucky that the house and all of us were OK.

mrvette 06-09-2014 6:52am

I forgot about another incident some static discharge somehow got to the Direct TV dish in the back yard on a 4' post, it's about 6' from the house....and blew out the two HDMI inputs in back of the main TV, so we use HDMI 3 on the edge of the TV......blasted out all the sat gear, we switched to Uverse after that.....thing is, all it was was a small 'tick'.....no light, no bang, just a large static discharge.....

:issues::leaving: