The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Telemarketers suck. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113640)

Cybercowboy 11-15-2017 4:20pm

Telemarketers suck.

I've been getting a call from what always looks like a local AT&T wireless number (last four digits change every time so fake caller ID) from an outfit called Credit Card Services. Calling my cell phone (we no longer have a landline.) They want to "lower my rates" and "save me money". 99% of the time they just went straight to voicemail but sometimes I'm expecting a call from someone I don't have in my contacts list so I answer it. Before it was always a recording. Now they have sicced Christine on me. She's a real hoot. Called me first last Wednesday. I could not get a word in edgewise as she gave me her spiel on how this is the last and final offer. I said "Fine, I don't want your stuff. Stop calling me." She was talking over me as I hung up.

So I got calls every day since from her. I've told her stop calling. I've told her I don't even carry a balance on my CC's so a lower rate means nothing to me (which is true, plus my rate is already very low.) I've been relatively civil. But today. Today just pissed me off. I waited for her non-stop spiel to end. Then I said "You've called me every day for a week. I don't want you to..." She starts talking, saying she can't understand me but would I please answer some questions so the process of signing me up can begin. "I said Don't Call Me Ever Again." Then I literally screamed into the phone "NEVER CALL ME AGAIN! STOP IT NOW!" and hung up.

Since then I've received one call an hour all day long. I don't answer, she doesn't leave a message. I guess I'm going to have to escalate. :wtf:

DAB 11-15-2017 4:29pm

i've gotten a slew of calls from MD (240 area code), my cell number is still a 240 area code, even though i'm in NM, had it for a long time. i just ignore them, and then block them. bye bye. :kimblair:

99 pewtercoupe 11-15-2017 4:35pm

I have been getting calls from 618 area code (our Illinois AC) on my cell phone. Interesting thing is that when they come in my phone (Iphone 6S) displays the number and where there would normally be a name it says "Likely Scam". This ID info has only started since I switched carriers (T-Mobile) and moved to Florida. I don't answer them and then go into my recent calls log and block the number.

Cybercowboy 11-15-2017 4:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxAg (Post 1598079)
Android or iOS?

iOS

Cybercowboy 11-15-2017 4:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1598081)
I have been getting calls from 618 area code (our Illinois AC) on my cell phone. Interesting thing is that when they come in my phone (Iphone 6S) displays the number and where there would normally be a name it says "Likely Scam". This ID info has only started since I switched carriers (T-Mobile) and moved to Florida. I don't answer them and then go into my recent calls log and block the number.

The problem is that it's not the real number it's coming from. They are spoofing the caller ID. I've seen real legit numbers that other people own coming from this place.

lspencer534 11-15-2017 4:57pm

I use this:

Me: Hello

Telemarketer (TM): [They begin to give their spiel.]

Me: I'm sorry for interrupting you, but you have reached Moonbeam Research Company, and we've already researched people who are interest in what you're selling. We must of course charge for this information, but it is reliable list and up-t-date. Do you already have an account with us?

TM: No...

Me: No problem at all. An account is easy to open. What is your Credit Card number?

TM: We don't give out that information.

Me: You can transmit it to me electronically. BTW, we have an hourly fee that must also be paid, and there is a one-hour minimum even if the call takes less than one hour. After that is paid, the list of potential customers will cost $12,000. Please decide on your preferred choice of payment.

T: [Click]

Milton Fox 11-15-2017 5:19pm

I cant remember all that - can I just give them your number as my business manager? :dixie:

99 pewtercoupe 11-15-2017 5:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1598083)
The problem is that it's not the real number it's coming from. They are spoofing the caller ID. I've seen real legit numbers that other people own coming from this place.

Next time they call, tell them to please hold while you transfer their call to Mr Spencer at the firm Shyster, Shyster & Finagle :seasix:

Thunder22 11-15-2017 5:25pm

you need to load a community call blocking app like "should i answer" (that's for android, i know you're on IOS). This way once the first few people get called from the spoofed #, the community black list will block the call on your phone.

OddBall 11-15-2017 5:27pm

Why would a legit outfit spoof it's caller ID?

DAB 11-15-2017 5:28pm

and just blocked another. one digit off from the last one. they can only have so many numbers.

OddBall 11-15-2017 5:39pm

Try what this guy did. He conferences them back to another scam outfit and let them have at each other.

boracayjohnny 11-15-2017 5:45pm

Telemarketers...shitheads that can talk, generally speaking.

Which reminds me of the ultimate telemarketer prank...

Bill 11-15-2017 5:53pm

If it's a woman scammer, I usually ask her what kind of underwear she has on, then a few more very personal questions, and if she's still on the line, I tell her to stay on the line while I jerk off while thinking about boning her.

boracayjohnny 11-15-2017 5:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1598105)
If it's a woman scammer, I usually ask her what kind of underwear she has on, then a few more very personal questions, and if she's still on the line, I tell her to stay on the line while I jerk off while thinking about boning her.

Brutal. Poor ladies didn't know telemarketing means they're signed up for sexual harassment. :Jeff '79:

Bill 11-15-2017 5:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1598107)
Brutal. Poor ladies didn't know telemarketing means they're signed up for sexual harassment. :Jeff '79:

Hey, they said they wanted to help me. I take them at their word.

marrepka 11-15-2017 6:33pm

I've been getting similar calls, but it's always a recording. Pressing 2 to no longer receive calls does not work. I just pickup and hangup

boracayjohnny 11-15-2017 6:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1598108)
Hey, they said they wanted to help me. I take them at their word.

"Ohhh, you gonna charge me? Tell me again how much will be deposited to your account."

:Jeff '79:

vetteman9368 11-15-2017 7:10pm

Air horn