The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   04 driving me CRAZY (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12267)

Aerovette 04-14-2011 7:55pm

04 driving me CRAZY

Some days I get in this car and it will throw my head back on take off with TC on and smoke away from a stop with the TC turned off. Next time I get in, it will act like I started out in second gear. DIC shows only two codes and both are HVAC codes. I thought it was heat related, but no. I thought it was gas related, but no. I thought it was a TC issue (not disengaging) but it does not appear to be that either. I can't find any condition that fits a pattern. It does not depend on trans temp as far as I can tell. The ONLY other condition that exists is that at high RPMs it has a whistle that sounds like a turbo when I stomp it. At the shift it goes away until RPMs climb again. I have no idea what that is.

It has NO mods, bone stock 28k miles. automatic trans.

Any ideas?

2ez 2spd 04-14-2011 8:27pm

Mine is a Auto and it will smokem w/TC off consistently but I can tell a big difference when the tires are cold.

Aerovette 04-14-2011 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ez 2spd (Post 238155)
Mine is a Auto and it will smokem w/TC off consistently but I can tell a big difference when the tires are cold.

Yeah, I am glad you mentioned that. I considered it. My expectation with cold tires would be a lot of spin and less launch. Hot tires should translate to less spin and harder launch. This is not the case for me.

The power is just not there but it seems very "hit or miss". It ran like a dog on my way to work, like a scalded rabit at lunch, and a dog on the way home again. This morning I stepped on it to get in front of a car so i could make a turn without them having to slow down and it just didn't want to go.

2ez 2spd 04-14-2011 9:22pm

When I first got mine sometime it would feel different I read somewhere to clean the mass air flow sensor and throttle body, when I did that it made a difference for the better now I clean them when I do the air filter.

I'm not say it would fix your problem but it help mine, good luck with the fix.

Aerovette 04-16-2011 12:09am

Today was a good day. She ran strong. Go figure.

Aerovette 04-18-2011 10:05pm

This weekend I replaced the rotors, calipers and pads. Interesting discovery. I was always of the opinion that the front brakes on a car do the majority of the work, yet it was my BACK brakes that were shot. Is it possible my power loss is actually the rear brakes being partially engaged all the time or some of the time? What would cause rears to wear before fronts? The car was a 13k mile car so I don't "think" that someone possibly already replaced the fronts. Even so, the rears should last more than 27k (current miles) shouldn't they?

2ez 2spd 04-18-2011 10:21pm

How difficult was the Brake/Rotor replacement? I just placed an order yesterday, I hope it will be here by the weekend.

vafirevet 04-19-2011 6:35am

i replaced all four of my rotors and pads in the garage. It was very easy. Just make sure you have a torque wrench.

high desert 04-20-2011 2:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 243483)
This weekend I replaced the rotors, calipers and pads. Interesting discovery. I was always of the opinion that the front brakes on a car do the majority of the work, yet it was my BACK brakes that were shot. Is it possible my power loss is actually the rear brakes being partially engaged all the time or some of the time? What would cause rears to wear before fronts? The car was a 13k mile car so I don't "think" that someone possibly already replaced the fronts. Even so, the rears should last more than 27k (current miles) shouldn't they?

Sounds like it may be from sticking pads. Be sure to lube the slides and pins with brake grease when you install the new pads.

allthrottleandsomebottle 04-20-2011 7:53am

When you say shot........how much pad material was left? 2/32, 1/8 etc.
Rotors scorn, thicknes of them?
I would put in new brake fluid first if not already done
IF you play a lot burnin the tire with TC on, it will apply the brakes at times........I have seen a few C5s with toasted front/rear brakes at road courses due to the TC issue.
I have NEVER worn through rears first even when I do 100s of 1/4 mile track burn outs w/o a line lock :D
I have TC turned off 90% of the time:)

Aerovette 04-26-2011 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ez 2spd (Post 243519)
How difficult was the Brake/Rotor replacement? I just placed an order yesterday, I hope it will be here by the weekend.

Very easy. It took longer to jack it up and let it down practically. I made a bit of extra work with the paint. I painted the rear calipers and replaced the fronts with powder coated ones. I'd post pics, but I don't think anyone here has NOT seen red calipers before. I jokingly said that my car looks like it went from dress shoes to running shoes.

smokestack 07-13-2011 2:34pm

I love your avatar man :hurray: :Sexy:

Tulsa Vette Guy 07-15-2011 10:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 243483)

I agree, Brakes could be the problem.