The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Going to Auschwitz exhibit tomorrow… (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135600)

gs568 12-30-2023 6:00pm

Going to Auschwitz exhibit tomorrow…

Don’t know that I will ever make it to Poland. Guess this will have to do for now. Anyone ever been to the Reagan Library?

KenHorse 12-30-2023 6:01pm

3 Attachment(s)
We've been to the Reagan Library. Went in 2010

04 commemorative 12-30-2023 6:12pm

1 Attachment(s)
Been to Yad Vashem in Israel,my Great Uncle (and Godfather) was a liberator at Mauthausen.

Louie Detroit 12-30-2023 6:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 2193377)
Been to Yad Vashem in Israel,my Great Uncle (and Godfather) was a liberator at Auschwitz.

Your Great Uncle was in the Soviet Army?

Cool 50th AE 12-30-2023 6:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2193371)
We've been to the Reagan Library. Went in 2010

How long before the left insists that be torn down?

Louie Detroit 12-30-2023 7:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool 50th AE (Post 2193417)
How long before the left insists that be torn down?

They’ll just require it to be renamed to the Saint George Floyd Memorial and Alphabet Degenerates Library. Complete with a wing reserved for smoking crack and engaging in live acts of sodomy.

Yadkin 12-30-2023 8:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by gs568 (Post 2193370)
Don’t know that I will ever make it to Poland. Guess this will have to do for now. Anyone ever been to the Reagan Library?

No but I've been to the Holocaust Museum. A trip that is not easily forgotten. :(

slewfoot 12-30-2023 9:16pm

Did you guys ever hear the story/history of Henry Winkler's parents (The Fonz)
?
His dad was a German Jew living in Berlin. As a businessman, he had traveled to America several times. When it was getting very bad in Germany, He told his wife (Henrys mom) to come along. He did not mention they were not returning for fear she would want to stay.

Mike Mercury 12-30-2023 9:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2193526)
Did you guys ever hear the story/history of Henry Winkler's parents (The Fonz) ?

from Wikipee:
Quote:

Winkler's parents, Ilse Anna Marie (née Hadra) and businessman Harry Irving Winkler were German Jews living in Berlin during the rise of Nazi Germany. By 1939, rising hostilities against Jews led his father to conclude that it was time to leave Germany. He arranged to take his wife on a six-week business trip to the United States. Although Winkler's Uncle Helmut was supposed to join them, at the last minute he decided to leave at a later date, and was eventually murdered during the Holocaust. Soon after arriving, his parents settled in New York City.

slewfoot 12-30-2023 9:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 2193533)
from Wikipee:

That's part of it

KenHorse 12-30-2023 9:28pm

My mother's family left Ukraine during the rise of Stalin. My father's family left Poland during the rise of Hitler. I have relatives whom were victims of the Holocaust.

Don't need a museum.....

slewfoot 12-30-2023 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2193536)
My mother's family left Ukraine during the rise of Stalin. My father's family left Poland during the rise of Hitler. I have relatives whom were victims of the Holocaust.

Don't need a museum.....

Oh no, we could be related.

My maternal great grandparents came from Odessa, Ukraine. I met them when I was around 12. They left around 1908 and settled in Boston area. My Gram was born in 1910, and lived to be 99.

Budman 12-30-2023 9:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louie Detroit (Post 2193421)
They’ll just require it to be renamed to the Saint George Floyd Memorial and Alphabet Degenerates Library. Complete with a wing reserved for smoking crack and engaging in live acts of sodomy.

The Hunter Biden exhibit!

Budman 12-30-2023 9:51pm

I went to Majdanek when I was on a business trip to Poland. I will never forget that place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majdan...entration_camp

jw38 12-30-2023 11:33pm

I've been to Auschwitz, Dachau, Buchenwald, and Bergen-Belsen. The most solemn experiences of my life. My grandfather (mother's father) was Jewish but I never met him as he died when my mother was only 10. My mother was not happy when she learned that my first assignment in the Air Force was in Germany. I was able to convince her to visit while I was there, and it completely changed her beliefs about the Germans

VatorMan 12-30-2023 11:52pm

I’ve been to Nagasaki Peace Park- that’s as close to another country WWII memorial as I’ve gotten

LilRedCorvette 12-31-2023 12:02am

Similar familial experiences.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenHorse (Post 2193536)

Don't need a museum.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2193553)
Oh no, we could be related.

My maternal great grandparents came from Odessa, Ukraine. I met them when I was around 12. They left around 1908 and settled in Boston area. My Gram was born in 1910, and lived to be 99.

My mother’s side of the family fled the Lenin/Stalin/Communist BS in Russia; great-grandmother arrived at Ellis Island with $18 in her pocket and the clothes on her back.

My father’s side fled Mussolini in Italy; found my great-grandparents (and their children) on the ship manifest of Ellis Island. G-Gma was born in 1900 (ages on birthdays were easy to remember :Jeff '79: ) and lived to be 97.

A tough-as-nails generation for sure. :yesnod:

Nox 12-31-2023 12:42am

I’ve been to the Reagan Library many times. The real exhibit is private and not open to the public. Underneath the library is a vast below ground warehouse containing everything Ronald Reagan owned and was gifted during his lifetime. It also includes a number of documents that were prepared during his time in office. There is even a SCIF because some of the documents are still technically classified.

I was fortunate to get a chance to go down there and the things I saw down there were mind blowing.. There were numerous documents labeled Iran-Contra which really piqued my interest. There were also some really interesting gifts given to Reagan while president. Presidents are not allowed to keep gifts given to them as heads of state. If you can somehow get down into the basement, you will see a bit of history you will never forget.

AUTOHOLIC 12-31-2023 2:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yadkin (Post 2193497)
No but I've been to the Holocaust Museum. A trip that is not easily forgotten. :(

I have been to the one in Israel when on a trip there and Egypt in 1999.

2manycars 12-31-2023 2:36am

Have you guys ever heard Geddy Lee of Rush speak of the Holocaust? His parents met in the camps. At some point they were separated. Later, they both wound up in Auschwicz. They were liberated at that camp, and married there. From there, they were able to emigrate to Canada. Geddy said his dad wouldn't speak of the camps or what went on there, but his mother did. She opened up more about it after his dad passed. Eventually, he took a trip over there with his mother.