The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Does anyone know the answer to this? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121743)

lspencer534 02-24-2020 12:58pm

Does anyone know the answer to this?

If a person is involuntarily sent to a hospital for an assessment of whether he is sane or not, and it turns out he is sane and isn't committed to a mental institution, who pays the hospital? He is facing a huge hospital bill for the 4 days he was there.

He doesn't think the hospital bill should be his responsibility (and I tend to agree with him) and that the person who sent him to the hospital should have to pay the hospital.

Anyone?

Jobaka 02-24-2020 1:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1734100)
it turns out he is sane

Welcome back.
You might want to get a second opinion.

Bill 02-24-2020 1:06pm

LOL! If only we had a retired lawyer with a kid who is a current lawyer here to weigh in on this question!

Looks like in New Jersey, the state eats 90% and the poor schmuck who got basically kidnapped has to pay 10%, adjusted for assets and income. Indigents aren't going to be paying anything, of course.

https://www.flastergreenberg.com/new..._for_That.html

Is this a serious question, or are you just bored and trying to get a rise out of VB this morning, counselor?

Bill 02-24-2020 1:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1734104)
Welcome back.
You might want to get a second opinion.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::breathe::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mr.Bigg 02-24-2020 1:15pm

Just bring up false imprisonment and see who will be getting paid.

Mike Mercury 02-24-2020 1:20pm

https://i.imgur.com/yTDIiWB.jpg

MrPeabody 02-24-2020 1:21pm

I'm sure laws may vary from state to state, but it stands to reason that he must have been sent there against his will which would require an order from a judge, so the state should have the liability here. But I guess the judge could have made the order contingent on it being paid by the person(s) requesting the order.:island14:

Bill 02-24-2020 1:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Bigg (Post 1734107)
Just bring up false imprisonment and see who will be getting paid.

I would think the hospital would be indemnified over that. Can the hospital refuse to accept an unwilling patient? If the law says they must accept anyone who gets dragged in, the hospital shouldn't be on the hook for damages to the poor shmoe who got rousted and dragged in unwillingly. I know it's illegal for hospitals to refuse to treat people at the ER, even though they know up front many people will never pay for their service.

Mike Mercury 02-24-2020 1:30pm

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1582323001.jpg

Mr.Bigg 02-24-2020 1:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1734112)
I would think the hospital would be indemnified over that. Can the hospital refuse to accept an unwilling patient? If the law says they must accept anyone who gets dragged in, the hospital shouldn't be on the hook for damages to the poor shmoe who got rousted and dragged in unwillingly. I know it's illegal for hospitals to refuse to treat people at the ER, even though they know up front many people will never pay for their service.

If the hospital takes federal money they have already been paid. But they will try to bill anyone they can.

DAB 02-24-2020 1:37pm

wait for bill to arrive.

write a cover letter and send it back: "if you think i'm paying this, you must think i'm nuts"

:dance:

MrPeabody 02-24-2020 1:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1734112)

Just because the hospital is required to treat anyone who walks into an ER, that doesn't mean they won't get billed for it. And if payments aren't arranged, it can damage your credit score. Of course, for some people a damaged credit score is the least of their worries. Hospitals eat a lot of these costs, but they will try to come after you for it first.

Millenium Vette 02-24-2020 3:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1734105)
LOL! If only we had a retired lawyer with a kid who is a current lawyer here to weigh in on this question!

Looks like in New Jersey, the state eats 90% and the poor schmuck who got basically kidnapped has to pay 10%, adjusted for assets and income. Indigents aren't going to be paying anything, of course.

https://www.flastergreenberg.com/new..._for_That.html

Is this a serious question, or are you just bored and trying to get a rise out of VB this morning, counselor?

:iagree:

What does the law say in your state Larry? Or is there no law or cases of this type of thing happening? You have my curiosity up.

My half-assed not worth a shit guess on how it would go in any state: It would go however the judge says it goes. If the "victim" doesn't like it, they are free to pay a retainer to their lawyer to appeal(not a slam on lawyers, they earn their pay, but rather an observation on how the legal system works).

:cert:

Rob 02-24-2020 3:53pm

Bernie :seasix:

/thread

BOTY 02-24-2020 4:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 1734146)

/thread

Nobody ever pays for anything. :dance:

lspencer534 02-24-2020 4:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1734135)
:iagree:

What does the law say in your state Larry? Or is there no law or cases of this type of thing happening? You have my curiosity up.

My half-assed not worth a shit guess on how it would go in any state: It would go however the judge says it goes. If the "victim" doesn't like it, they are free to pay a retainer to their lawyer to appeal(not a slam on lawyers, they earn their pay, but rather an observation on how the legal system works).

:cert:

I can't find anything in my State on this question. New Jersey, though, says that the State pays 90% of the bill and the "patient" pays 10%.

Aerovette 02-24-2020 5:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 1734146)

/thread

Bernie's the guy that goes to Sam's Club for lunch. The guy that samples whatever they are giving away, six times and then doesn't buy a thing.

Bernie: Many people don't realize you can get a 3 piece suit at WalMart.

Nox 02-24-2020 5:08pm

In many states, if one is admitted on an involuntary hold, the hospital bills your insurance if you have it. Regardless of whether or not you consented to the hold, you are financially responsible unless you are indigent. A judge’s order is not required in many states. A police officer or doctor can place someone on an involuntary hold if they believe the patient is a danger to themselves or others. When admitted on an involuntary hold, they are not judging you “sane” or “insane.” They are merely assessing your mental state. In many cases, they will release the hold after 72 hours, even if they think you have mental health issues.

Mick 02-24-2020 6:05pm

Look, I've told all of you mother****ers. I AM NOT GOING TO PAY FOR THIS BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

I don't care what the law is, or what my credit score is or will be. Find another sucker, I ain't paying!

99 pewtercoupe 02-24-2020 6:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1734100)
If a person is involuntarily sent to a hospital for an assessment of whether he is sane or not, and it turns out he is sane and isn't committed to a mental institution, who pays the hospital? He is facing a huge hospital bill for the 4 days he was there.

He doesn't think the hospital bill should be his responsibility (and I tend to agree with him) and that the person who sent him to the hospital should have to pay the hospital.

Anyone?

So which one of your cats reported you? :dance: