The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   [vid] Help me diagnose problem in my Vette. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95265)

Datawiz 03-14-2016 3:21pm

[vid] Help me diagnose problem in my Vette.

A new noise has started, but it's not 100%. In the video, fast forward to 1:40 and you'll hear the noise kick in. It goes away at 2:20 when I come to a stop and make the u-turn, the noise goes away.

The noise is clearly very near the wheel, and because it's not all the time, and not a MAJOR grinding, I don't think it's the differential, as I know what that's like from it going out in the Z06. Having said that, I CAN feel a vibration in my butt-o-meter.

My best guess is the bearing / hub assembly has gone bad.

Thoughts?

TIA.

Rob 03-14-2016 3:28pm

[vid] Help me diagnose problem in my Vette.

Are your sway bars tight? And are they the adjustable links attaching them?

Datawiz 03-14-2016 3:33pm

Stock Z06 swaybar, and it's tight.

allthrottleandsomebottle 03-14-2016 3:52pm

CV joint...............grease gone?
could be hub bearings too
TPMS working ok?
How many miles
Have to lift and yank to know

Datawiz 03-14-2016 4:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthrottleandsomebottle (Post 1459098)
CV joint...............grease gone?
could be hub bearings too
TPMS working ok?
How many miles
Have to lift and yank to know

TPMS working fine. But then again, I have the sensors in a sealed container in the trunk of the car. LOL

85K+ miles.

both dust boots on the axle are in tact, no cracks or leaks, so the joints in the axle should be fine.

Guess I'll have to do trial and error. Will replace both rear hubs, since they aren't too expensive. I've replaced them on my Z06, I can't remember if I've done them on the C6. I did them on my neighbor's C6 for sure.

8Up 03-14-2016 4:06pm

If you think its a bearing you should take off the wheel and inspect. That thing will lock up solid on you at an unpredetermined time, and you will end up replacing everything from the wheel on back because it will weld itself to the axel. And depending on how fast you are going when it decides to lock up you may be replacing a flatspoted tire as well.

Oh, Have you jumped any bridges lately? Could also be a bend half shaft from a hard landing.

Kevin_73 03-14-2016 4:07pm

Could it be a brake pad rattling around in the caliper?

Datawiz 03-14-2016 4:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8Up (Post 1459101)
If you think its a bearing you should take off the wheel and inspect. That thing will lock up solid on you at an unpredetermined time, and you will end up replacing everything from the wheel on back because it will weld itself to the axel. And depending on how fast you are going when it decides to lock up you may be replacing a flatspoted tire as well.

Oh, Have you jumped any bridges lately? Could also be a bend half shaft from a hard landing.

No jumps :D

I'll replace the bearings first and go from there. My daughter autocrossed this car for the entire 2015 season, and that's pretty rough on the bearings for sure. :yesnod:

8Up 03-14-2016 4:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1459104)
No jumps :D

I'll replace the bearings first and go from there. My daughter autocrossed this car for the entire 2015 season, and that's pretty rough on the bearings for sure. :yesnod:

I hope that's all it it is but it's a good start anyway.

CertInsaneC5 03-14-2016 4:36pm

It doesn't sound like a bearing. It sounds like a caliper issue. If it was a bearing starting to go there may or may not be a lot of heat build up. Easy check to do though.

Datawiz 03-14-2016 4:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5 (Post 1459114)
It doesn't sound like a bearing. It sounds like a caliper issue. If it was a bearing starting to go there may or may not be a lot of heat build up. Easy check to do though.

I also thought caliper, and thought maybe there was some movement, but it doesn't appear to be the case. You think I should maybe change the brake pads out?

CertInsaneC5 03-14-2016 5:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1459115)
I also thought caliper, and thought maybe there was some movement, but it doesn't appear to be the case. You think I should maybe change the brake pads out?

Cheapest/easiest place to start for sure. Before pulling the tire though. Grab ahold of the tire and push hard, side to side. There should be no movement at all. If there is its a bearing.

Once you have the tire off. Look around for anything hanging in there. Anything loose. That was a very rhythmic, speed based sound going on. Almost like rocks in hub cap is the closest thing I could think of. :Jeff '79:

Jeff '79 03-14-2016 5:18pm

Is there a hole in your foot?

Fastguy 03-14-2016 5:54pm

I'm guessing parking brake assembly. It's inside the rotor hat. If a retainer broke or if there is a lot of flexing it will make some weird noises.
The parking brake is like a giant C-shaped brake shoe, similar to the 63-82 Corvettes. The rear rotor has a deep hat that acts like a brake drum. If you have a sticky cable or something out of alignment, that will make noise. I have seen people cook bearings by setting the shoe too tight.

Datawiz 03-14-2016 6:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastguy (Post 1459154)
I'm guessing parking brake assembly. It's inside the rotor hat. If a retainer broke or if there is a lot of flexing it will make some weird noises.
The parking brake is like a giant C-shaped brake shoe, similar to the 63-82 Corvettes. The rear rotor has a deep hat that acts like a brake drum. If you have a sticky cable or something out of alignment, that will make noise. I have seen people cook bearings by setting the shoe too tight.

VERY VERY VERY good idea! I know exactly what it looks like and where it is. :hurray::seasix:

xXBUDXx 03-15-2016 9:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5 (Post 1459123)
Almost like rocks in hub cap is the closest thing I could think of. :Jeff '79:

This was my first thought as well

Aerovette 03-15-2016 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5 (Post 1459123)
Cheapest/easiest place to start for sure. Before pulling the tire though. Grab ahold of the tire and push hard, side to side. There should be no movement at all. If there is its a bearing.

Once you have the tire off. Look around for anything hanging in there. Anything loose. That was a very rhythmic, speed based sound going on. Almost like rocks in hub cap is the closest thing I could think of. :Jeff '79:

I had ZERO play in my hub when it was growling. It was not until I removed it that it was obviously bad.

allthrottleandsomebottle 03-15-2016 4:21pm

All will be revealed soon enough...........:seasix:

Datawiz 03-15-2016 8:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthrottleandsomebottle (Post 1459489)

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthrottleandsomebottle (Post 1459489)

Leaving Thursday morning to race an Audi R8 in Georgia over the weekend, but now that I have a lift, it not only solves putting the monster engine in the race car, it makes fixing crap like this on the black C6 so much more tolerable. My gut tells me that the parking brake is the culprit. I'm pretty confident that Fastguy nailed it. :yesnod:

I've heard the noise from bad bearings and replaced them.
I've heard the noise from a blown diff and replaced it.
I've never heard "this" noise before, and it's only on the driver's side, but it's so far outside, close to the wheel, that his suggestion holds water.

Won't know for awhile, as work is insane, and the lift won't be installed until Easter Sunday. I have the Tundra to drive daily, so the rush to solve it is reduced.

Kerrmudgeon 03-15-2016 11:42pm

Almost sounded like the body or something rubbing against the half shafts sometimes. It's only intermittent, like somethings moving around once in a while??? :bilmem: