The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Another call blocking thread (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118622)

04 commemorative 02-10-2019 10:26am

Another call blocking thread

I just read in the newspaper that if you dial *77......and hear 3 beeps any number that calls you and hides their number will be blocked.
I called Verizon to confirm this and to make sure there was no charge for it ....and they said it is a free service.
Just passing this information on.....paper also said other carriers offer this....just check to see if there is a charge first :seasix:

Antfarmer2 02-10-2019 10:50am

This would be to good to be true. :seasix::cert::seasix: Right now I just pick up and stay silent most just hang up the ones that have a person try get the air horn. :rofl:

Bill 02-10-2019 10:50am

Does that include spammers who spoof their numbers? I have nomorobo on my home phone, but in the last couple of months, that service seems to be failing. I have a bunch of spammers getting through, and to the one they have all spoofed numbers. Hell, one of them yesterday listed the name and number of a local bank, and they were trying to sell medical braces.

04 commemorative 02-10-2019 10:59am

any number that calls you and hides their number will be blocked.:island14:

Norm 02-10-2019 10:59am

I have a block number feature with T-Mobile, since I've blocked a few, my spam calls are way down.

VITE1 02-10-2019 11:12am

https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Phone...e/td-p/5137752
Quote:

Community Support ATTU-verseCare
Community Support
May 1, 2017 3:01 PM - edited Mar 28, 2018 11:50 AM by Community Support ATTCustomerCare
Anonymous Call Rejection (*77) – Traditional Landline

Home Phone banner.png

Anonymous Call Rejection* (*77) – Traditional Landline

Anonymous Call Rejection* (*77) intercepts calls from people who have used a blocking feature to prevent their name or number from being provided to people they call. When Anonymous Call Rejection is activated, callers hear a message telling them to hang up, unblock delivery of their phone number and call again. Your phone will not ring unless the caller removes the block.

Turn On Anonymous Call Rejection

Pick up the phone and press *77

Turn Off Anonymous Call Rejection

Pick up the phone and press *87

Things to know

Anonymous Call Rejection stays on until you turn it off.
If a call comes in from a private number on your Personalized Ring or Selective Call Forwarding list, the call will be accepted.
Anonymous Call Rejection does not intercept calls that display as Unknown or Out-of-Area on the Caller ID. These designations usually mean that the call originated in an area in which Caller ID is not available.
Anonymous Call Rejection does not block Operator Assisted incoming calls.
Caller ID is required in some areas.

Additional solutions

AT&T Home Phone: How to Use Call Block and Screening

* - Not available in all areas.

AT&T Customer Care

Need help with an account specific question? Post a new question here on the forums by clicking the "Ask a Question" button.
For additional support, please visit us at our AT&T services hub.
Follow us on: Twitter @ATTCares and @DIRECTVService

Thunder22 02-10-2019 11:34am

I use OOMA for VoIP at home and the control panel allows the same. It has a few options based on nomorobo as well.

For my Android cell i use "should i answer" to block the robocallers.

Stevedore 02-10-2019 11:51am

Nomorobo works pretty well for us. The phone still rings once, which is a minor annoyance.

Anonymous blocking is nice, but we rarely get "number unknown" calls. I'd guess that over 99% of our spam calls are spoofed numbers. You'd think that the carriers could somehow block anything with a spoofed number, but I guess not. :island14:

Thunder22 02-10-2019 11:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1658589)
Nomorobo works pretty well for us. The phone still rings once, which is a minor annoyance.

Anonymous blocking is nice, but we rarely get "number unknown" calls. I'd guess that over 99% of our spam calls are spoofed numbers. You'd think that the carriers could somehow block anything with a spoofed number, but I guess not. :island14:

The robocallers got smart and they're spoofing the number but grabbing the real caller id name when they do, so the call doesn't come through as "anonymous" and it usually has the same area code and exchange as my home or cell #. So some calls are getting through.

Ol Timer 02-10-2019 2:47pm

Lately, all I get are spoofed #s. I recently got a call from my own number! I never answer unless I know the caller, or if I feel frisky and want to just screw with someone.

99 pewtercoupe 02-10-2019 9:04pm

If you are not on my contact list, I don’t answer

JRD77VET 02-10-2019 9:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1658622)

If you call my house, my wife answers and if you don't speak within two seconds, the number gets blocked :lol:

Rob 02-11-2019 7:31am

Quote:

This.

And I check voicemails on Monday’s.

vetteman9368 02-11-2019 7:38am

I hate the spoofed calls. Being that I use my phone for business I often answer numbers that appear local. More than 50% are bullshit.

04 commemorative 02-11-2019 8:07am

Quote:

Wifes doctor will call with blocked phone number when they use cell so we feel the need to answer....I put this on my phone but she didn't for that reason

SnikPlosskin 02-11-2019 9:48am

I get calls from the press. These calls are gold but it means answering most calls. Huge waste of time. I put a message on my voice mail that says “Due to the number of spam calls, if you are not a robot, please text this number and I will call you right back.”

snide 02-11-2019 9:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 1658647)
This.

And I check voicemails on Monday’s.

On Monday's what? :bigears:

C5SilverBullet 02-11-2019 12:27pm

Sirius radio is the worst. They call me 10 times a day, and the number is displayed as a local cell phone.

Norm 02-11-2019 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 1658668)
Sirius radio is the worst. They call me 10 times a day, and the number is displayed as a local cell phone.

Dumped those folks a few years back, just got tired of their constant begging and goofy payment plans, can't agree on shit what to pay.

Since I've learned to download my favorite tunes on the thumb drive, don't need XM anymore.

Bill 02-11-2019 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1658669)
Dumped those folks a few years back, just got tired of their constant begging and goofy payment plans, can't agree on shit what to pay.

Since I've learned to download my favorite tunes on the thumb drive, don't need XM anymore.

I got rid of them over a decade ago. I used to pay once a year, up front, but each renewal, they'd ask for an exorbitant amount, and the customer would have to call and negotiate it down. That gets old after a while.

They have a nice service, just overpriced, in my opinion. If they would have just offered me reasonable renewals, I would still have them. They also made it very difficult to cancel; I finally had to just lie and tell them the vehicle had been sold.