The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   PSA.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122079)

LisaJohn 03-24-2020 11:35am

PSA....

Do not use a crock pot without the little rubber feet attached.
Sparks flew and breakers blew and the cuss jar got an I o u!

Aerovette 03-24-2020 11:38am

How can that happen?

Earthquake Driver 03-24-2020 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1745552)
Do not use a crock pot without the little rubber feet attached.
Sparks flew and breakers blew and the cuss jar got an I o u!

Do you have a metal countertop?

Cybercowboy 03-24-2020 11:43am

Well, you shouldn't use a crock pot in the bathtub in general, rubber feet or no rubber feet.

Jobaka 03-24-2020 11:48am

https://media.makeameme.org/created/...get-5bd0aa.jpg

LisaJohn 03-24-2020 11:56am

Long version! Last week while using crock pot I got shocked. I was wiping my stainless stove top, moved my iron skillet that was on the counter and bumped the side of the crock pot and it shocked me. Iron skillet was in left hand and wiping stove with right hand. Shock went up my left hand and arm. So today I have the crock pot going on another counter away from the stove. I was putting my stainless steel cake pan in the sink. As the stainless steel cake pan slid across the rim of the stainless steel sink sparks flew, the light went out and two outlets went out. So I unplugged everything on my counters, flipped the breaker, emptied the crock pot and threw it away.

Jobaka 03-24-2020 11:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1745566)
threw it away.

Smart move. :seasix:

You're lucky it wasn't worse.

Aerovette 03-24-2020 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1745556)
Well, you shouldn't use a crock pot in the bathtub in general, rubber feet or no rubber feet.

Rubber feet? I never touched'er feet !

Mike Mercury 03-24-2020 12:25pm

https://i.chzbgr.com/full/413594368/...immers-all-day

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/af/72...b48b208f25.jpg

BOTY 03-24-2020 1:58pm

:lol:

z06psi 03-24-2020 3:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1745554)
How can that happen?

You should be the last to ask questions about electricity. :yesnod:

Aerovette 03-24-2020 3:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by z06psi (Post 1745644)
You should be the last to ask questions about electricity. :yesnod:

I don't appreciate the competition, is why I am asking.

JRD77VET 03-24-2020 8:13pm

Quote:

Long version! Last week while using crock pot I got shocked. I was wiping my stainless stove top, moved my iron skillet that was on the counter and bumped the side of the crock pot and it shocked me. Iron skillet was in left hand and wiping stove with right hand. Shock went up my left hand and arm. So today I have the crock pot going on another counter away from the stove. I was putting my stainless steel cake pan in the sink. As the stainless steel cake pan slid across the rim of the stainless steel sink sparks flew, the light went out and two outlets went out. So I unplugged everything on my counters, flipped the breaker, emptied the crock pot and threw it away.

Right when you got shocked should have been enough to throw it then :yesnod:

If "all your ducks were in a row", it could have killed you :sadangel:

Mick 03-25-2020 8:16am

Quote:

So today I have the crock pot going on another counter away from the stove. I was putting my stainless steel cake pan in the sink. As the stainless steel cake pan slid across the rim of the stainless steel sink sparks flew, the light went out and two outlets went out. So I unplugged everything on my counters, flipped the breaker, emptied the crock pot and threw it away.

I don't think I understand this. The crock pot was "on another counter away from the stove", but where was it relative to the sink? If the incident described in bold happened to me, I'd be a lot more interested in what the electrical connection to my garbage disposal looked like than the health of my crock pot.

Cybercowboy 03-25-2020 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1745830)
I don't think I understand this. The crock pot was "on another counter away from the stove", but where was it relative to the sink? If the incident described in bold happened to me, I'd be a lot more interested in what the electrical connection to my garbage disposal looked like than the health of my crock pot.

It certainly sounds like there is a fairly major electrical wiring problem in that kitchen, and if the kitchen wiring is that janky I'd be willing to bet the entire house isn't wired to code.

Steve_R 03-25-2020 10:30am

Quote:

This. There's a much bigger problem than just missing rubber feet on a crock pot.

Aerovette 03-25-2020 10:45am

GFCI...

Get the
Fkn
Circuit
Inspected

:Jeff '79:

VatorMan 03-25-2020 10:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1745927)
It certainly sounds like there is a fairly major electrical wiring problem in that kitchen, and if the kitchen wiring is that janky I'd be willing to bet the entire house isn't wired to code.

Correct. EVERY receptacle in the kitchen except Refrigerator and Microwave is to be GFCI BY CODE.

Not to be rude, but 1. You NEED to see a doctor ASAP as any current through your heart can cause fibrillation. You could feel strange and not even understand why.
2. PLEASE install GFCIs in your house in the bathrooms, outside, and kitchen. Those can save your life.

But refer to #1 and I'm not kidding.

LisaJohn 03-25-2020 1:10pm

Quote:

We don’t have a garbage disposal.

Mick 03-25-2020 1:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1745973)
We don’t have a garbage disposal.

OK, but as others have said, I'm having a hard time picturing how a bad crock pot could cause two incidents like you have described.

Look, I'm not ripping into you at all, and neither are the other couple of guys who agree with me. At least a couple of us suspect some as-yet-undiscovered electrical problem is existent in your kitchen. If you don't feel comfortable disclosing more details of what is going on, I think we are all fine with that. We are just encouraging you to look into it further, that is all.

Good luck.