The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Supreme Court rules on healthcare law (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36395)

theanswriz42 06-28-2012 9:17am

Supreme Court rules on healthcare law

They upheld it, but apparently there's no penalty if you don't pay the penalty :lol:

Weird.

Rob 06-28-2012 9:21am

Do what??

onedef92 06-28-2012 9:22am

Damn. Talk about making political hay.

Mike Mercury 06-28-2012 9:23am

"The court reinforces that individuals can simply refuse to pay the tax and not comply with the mandate. "

Rob 06-28-2012 9:24am

If I understand this...I am required to get insurance, and pay for it. However, if I do not pay for it, I still get it and do not get penalized for not paying for it.

onedef92 06-28-2012 9:25am

Supreme Court upholds Obama health care law

By David Jackson, USA TODAY
Jun 28, 2012

Updated 4 min. ago

The Supreme Court upheld the health care law today in a splintered, complex opinion that appears to give President Obama a major victory.

Basically. the justices said that the individual mandate -- the requirement that most Americans buy health insurance or pay a fine -- is constitutional as a tax.

Chief Justice John Roberts -- a conservative appointed by President George W. Bush -- provided the key vote to preserve the landmark health care law, which figures to be a major issue in Obama's re-election bid against Republican opponent Mitt Romney.

The announcement will have a major impact on the nation's health care system, the actions of both federal and state governments, and the course of the November presidential and congressional elections.

A key question for the high court: The law's individual mandate, the requirement that nearly all Americans buy health insurance, or pay a penalty.

Critics call the requirement an unconstitutional overreach by Congress and the Obama administration; supporters say it is necessary to finance the health care plan, and well within the government's powers under the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

While the individual mandate remained 18 months away from implementation, many other provisions already have gone into effect, such as free wellness exams for seniors and allowing children up to age 26 to remain on their parents' health insurance policies. Some of those provisions are likely to be retained by some insurance companies.

Other impacts will sort themselves out, once the court rules:

-- Health care millions of Americans will be affected – coverage for some, premiums for others. Doctors, hospitals, drug makers, insurers, and employers large and small all will feel the impact.

-- States -- some of which have moved ahead with the health care overhaul while others have held back -- now have decisions to make. A deeply divided Congress could decide to re-enter the debate with legislation.

-- The presidential race between Obama and Republican challenger Mitt Romney is sure to feel the repercussions. Obama's health care law has proven to be slightly more unpopular than popular among Americans.

Not since the court confirmed George W. Bush's election in December 2000 -- before 9/11, Afghanistan and Iraq, Wall Street's dive and Obama's rise -- has one case carried such sweeping implications for nearly every American.

Passed by Democrats along strictly partisan lines and still 18 months short of full implementation, the law is designed to extend health coverage to some 32 million uninsured people, ban insurers from discriminating against those with expensive ailments, and require nearly all Americans to buy insurance or pay penalties.

Its passage on March 23, 2010, marked the culmination of an effort by Democrats to overhaul the nation's health care system that dates back to Harry Truman's presidency. The most recent effort by President Bill Clinton in 1994 fell victim to Republican opposition. Since then, lesser changes have been enacted, including creation of a separate Children's Health Insurance Program in the states.

onedef92 06-28-2012 9:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 698508)
"The court reinforces that individuals can simply refuse to pay the tax and not comply with the mandate. "

"I actually did vote for the $87 billion, before I voted against it (and shit)."

Datawiz 06-28-2012 9:27am

That just took 15 years off of the life of this country. We are all FUCKED! We will be Greece in less than 10 years. :(

theanswriz42 06-28-2012 9:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 698509)
If I understand this...I am required to get insurance, and pay for it. However, if I do not pay for it, I still get it and do not get penalized for not paying for it.

Correct :willy:

lander 06-28-2012 9:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 698515)
That just took 15 years off of the life of this country. We are all FUCKED! We will be Greece in less than 10 years. :(

:iagree: When the .gov runs out of money to pay for all this, they'll simply take our paychecks and give us a little bit back each month for us to use as they see fit.

jaxgator 06-28-2012 9:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 698514)
-- Health care millions of Americans will be affected – coverage for some, premiums for others. Doctors, hospitals, drug makers, insurers, and employers large and small all will feel the impact.

Welp, there goes our health care system as we know it. Can't wait to see what my premiums are once this is fully implemented. We can only hope that Romney gets elected and repeals this POS legislation.

Millenium Vette 06-28-2012 9:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 698515)

:iagree:

I just hope the Republicans pull their heads out of their asses and make the election all about repealing this shit.

Z06David 06-28-2012 9:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxgator (Post 698523)
Welp, there goes our health care system as we know it. Can't wait to see what my premiums are once this is fully implemented. We can only hope that Romney gets elected and repeals this POS legislation.

Stangkiller 06-28-2012 9:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 698534)

I just hope the Republicans pull their heads out of their asses and make the election all about repealing this shit.

:iagree: :yesnod:

jaxgator 06-28-2012 9:42am

Quote:

As unpopular as it is with most Americans, hopefully, that'll push more undecideds into Romney's court.

onedef92 06-28-2012 9:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lander (Post 698521)
:iagree: When the .gov runs out of money to pay for all this, they'll simply take our paychecks and give us a little bit back each month for us to use as they see fit.

Hope, change really means, "hope you get some change back."

theanswriz42 06-28-2012 9:42am

Quote:

Yep, they need to stop worrying about inane things like religion and fighting marriage equality and concentrate on things that actually matter like the economy and getting this country back on the right track.

Stangkiller 06-28-2012 9:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaxgator (Post 698542)
As unpopular as it is with most Americans, hopefully, that'll push more undecideds into Romney's court.

Unfortunately Romney doesn't have much of a leg to stand on regarding socialized medicine, as he inacted it in Mass.

onedef92 06-28-2012 9:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by theanswriz42 (Post 698544)
Yep, they need to stop worrying about inane things like religion and fighting marriage equality and concentrate on things that actually matter like the economy and getting this country back on the right track.

Neglecting those so-called "inane" things is what helped get this country off the right track in the first place.

"Catch the foxes for us, the little foxes that spoil the vineyards, for our vineyards are in blossom.”

theanswriz42 06-28-2012 9:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by onedef92 (Post 698546)
Neglecting those so-called "inane" things is what helped get this country off the right track in the first place.

I couldn't disagree more.