The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   CC video cameras---- suggestions please (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136690)

JRD77VET 03-04-2024 8:46pm

CC video cameras---- suggestions please

My wife suggested I look into putting some video cameras outside. Any suggestions for a system that I can install and monitor myself? I figure one for the front porch, one on the driveway side facing back and another on the opposite side of the house.

Thanks

gs568 03-04-2024 8:52pm

The ring cameras are pretty simple to use.

Big bob 03-04-2024 8:54pm

:iagree: ring here as well.:seasix:

Mike Mercury 03-04-2024 8:56pm

there's a lot to choose from; but don't get too caught up in the "wireless" claims. The cameras still need power, so there will be a cable going to them even if wireless.

Friend of mine has a wireless system; the cameras connect through his router. One night his wife moved out when he was out of town. He discovered this when he got back home (a lot was missing... and he finally found a note). He went straight to the PC/DVR recorder. The only thing recorded was showing her walking straight to the router and unplugging the power lead going to the router. There was no more recorded video after that, the PC/DVR was no longer getting the camera feeds via wifi. One cable took down the entire system

Rodnok1 03-04-2024 9:03pm

Depends on if want wireless or wired. I put an Annke 8 camera wired system in, pretty cheap compared to alot of systems. It can be hooked to the net but doesn't require any cloud services nor storage aka fees like alot do.

Night vision isn't the greatest but the cameras themselves could be upgraded.

Bruze 03-04-2024 9:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 2227418)
Depends on if want wireless or wired. I put an Annke 8 camera wired system in, pretty cheap compared to alot of systems. It can be hooked to the net but doesn't require any cloud services nor storage aka fees like alot do.

Night vision isn't the greatest but the cameras themselves could be upgraded.

This ^

I went through two different brands (for indoor) and they both required a monthly sub. They managed to hide that fact pretty well in the description. Sent them back to Amazon (full refund) and ended up with a "eufy" brand instead -- no subs needed. It will record via Wifi or over the cell signal if I'm not home.

It works great day or night, records on the phone app. I can take the recording, save as a file and email it to my laptop, or anywhere at that point, there are no restrictions.

It was around $35. Had it several months now, no regrets. :)

VITE1 03-04-2024 9:33pm

I have Eufy. Solar powered Wifi.

I added a extra solar panel to by front door cam due to light issues. They all work fine and I can access them from anywhere

eufy Security SoloCam S220, Solar Security Camera, Wireless Outdoor Camera, Continuous Power, 2K Resolution, Wireless, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi, No Monthly Fee, HomeBase 3 Compatible https://a.co/d/6oUZEp4

Big bob 03-04-2024 9:34pm

Ring is about 100 bucks a year unlimited devices. I can view any of my homes live or recorded from my phone.:seasix:

Swany00 03-04-2024 9:35pm

check out Reolink

VatorMan 03-04-2024 9:46pm

I have XMarto w/ 2 TB SD drive. I have 6 cameras- all wireless. Works pretty good for me plus no service fee. Same with my doorbell camera. Onboard storage and app. No fees.

slewfoot 03-04-2024 9:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2227420)
This ^

I went through two different brands (for indoor) and they both required a monthly sub. They managed to hide that fact pretty well in the description. Sent them back to Amazon (full refund) and ended up with a "eufy" brand instead -- no subs needed. It will record via Wifi or over the cell signal if I'm not home.

It works great day or night, records on the phone app. I can take the recording, save as a file and email it to my laptop, or anywhere at that point, there are no restrictions.

It was around $35. Had it several months now, no regrets. :)

So If I purchased the Eufy Flood light/camera system with a cam attached, for the front of the house/driveway.

Hooking this up would take care of the hardwire issue like any other normal floodlight I have hooked up in the same place over the years

Bruze 03-04-2024 9:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2227429)
So If I purchased the Eufy Flood light/camera system with a cam attached, for the front of the house/driveway.

Hooking this up would take care of the hardwire issue like any other normal floodlight I have hooked up in the same place over the years

Was there a question in there somewhere? :confused:

Don't know anything about the floodlight deal. :shrug:

slewfoot 03-04-2024 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruze (Post 2227432)
Was there a question in there somewhere? :confused:

Don't know anything about the floodlight deal. :shrug:

Eufy has a floodlight cam

Bruze 03-04-2024 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2227433)
Eufy has a floodlight cam

You wrote:
Quote:

Ok, your first sentence(?) was a question, but no question mark, and was actually an incomplete sentence.

So I was a little confused by it. :eek:

slewfoot 03-04-2024 11:02pm

Sort of, talking or hard wiring and all that. I saw that Eufy had a basic Flood light set up and is simply wired as normal to the light outlet commonly by the garage.

TripleBlack 03-04-2024 11:13pm

I've research security cams off and on for a couple years and hope to so something soon. I've settled in on a general plan...
- No cloud requirement. I don't want to depend on an external entity that can arbitrarily raise their subscription fees but more importantly, I don't want an external entity having access to my cameras or footage. I prefer a home server or NVR that isn't dependent on the internet to save video.
- Wireless is convenient but not nearly secure as a power over Ethernet solution. Not sure I'm smart enough but would also try to use a VLan to isolate the cameras from the internet while providing a tunnel to access via my phone or tablet remotely.

I've watched a lot of good YouTube vids on the topic here:
https://www.youtube.com/@TheHookUp/s...rity%20cameras
The guy is sharp and presents detailed info and test results quickly and professionally. Lots of security cam stuff but about any nerdish topic you can think of on his main page.

vettemed 03-05-2024 4:10am

Don't buy Lorex, is my only advice. They were miserable to deal with on a warranty claim, they kept passing me back to New Delhi tech support making me run through the same checklist over and over and over again, on a repeater that was dead as a doornail. I ended up smashing that piece of shit on the pavement.

Don Rickles 03-05-2024 7:39am

Arlo for the win. I do have a small monthly fee....But, it's a completely wireless system with solar charged cameras outdoors. All but one of the indoor cameras are plugged in.

I can attest, the customer service is second to none. I had an issue with one camera that was outside, water seeped in thru a bad gasket. I received a free replacement camera after proof of purchase @ 2 years old! :yesnod:

TheHammer 03-05-2024 7:47am

I have an 8 camera POE system with 10 day recorder, phone monitoring, no cloud services. Also have some "wireless" Wyze cameras to fill in other areas where I don't want or need the larger cameras. Wyze also has a variety of wirless products including smart plugs and lights you can program, surprisingly good for the price.

Rodnok1 03-05-2024 8:00am

Eufy was my choice for wireless, the costs however were too muchfor my budget and the range.
If you have any metal siding or need more than 70ft I'd say the wifi os spotty nd you'll need repeaters which just adds more costs.
Also above 2 or 3 eufy devices anc have to buy their home base or whatever it's called.
Eufy setup wuld have been triple or a wired at least, my cameras are not mounted were they're easily accessible so wired was best for powering them also.
Some cameras are powered from source and some from plugging them in directly. Both have advantages/disadvantages to me.