The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Booked again till the end of the year... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116940)

Datawiz 08-09-2018 7:42pm

Booked again till the end of the year...

On time and on target on the project that's wrapping up. 1 week of overlap on the new project, and then full time till the end of the year.

Don't get me wrong, being in demand in this industry is extremely important, and I will have been on a project from the very first day I was hired, and I've always delivered.

So when do I get my raise mama blue? :toetap:

Been suppressing the urge to leave for an offer standing since last January. Love the comfort and benefits of "big", but hate the nuances of being part of "big". Where is my money? :toetap: You call me out as the best in the world....but, at some point, it's time to pay me. :yesnod:

markids77 08-09-2018 7:53pm

If I recall properly one of the big draws for your current position was the cache attached to the company name and the perceived boost to your credibility as a top performer in that company. If reward for exceptional performance was an expectation of yours going in I would have made that a requirement for the hire. Otherwise you are truly mired in the Corporate morass of quarterly or annual review. If you choose to leave be certain to negotiate accordingly going forward.

Datawiz 08-09-2018 7:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1639324)
If I recall properly one of the big draws for your current position was the cache attached to the company name and the perceived boost to your credibility as a top performer in that company. If reward for exceptional performance was an expectation of yours going in I would have made that a requirement for the hire. Otherwise you are truly mired in the Corporate morass of quarterly or annual review. If you choose to leave be certain to negotiate accordingly going forward.

Due to the acquisition, I became a number. Lots of benefits for staying with a big company, but now I'm just a number. Not sure I'm comfortable being a number, when I was just the top biller in the world. Staying the course for now, but unrest is certainly starting to boil. :yesnod: I am very fortunate to have my existing client of 26 years as a second income, so it buys me time, but I don't want to be anyone's whore.

Having said that, always having a project indicates that you are on your game. Not everyone who has my title is always on a project. It's good to be in demand.

JRD77VET 08-09-2018 8:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1639325)
Due to the acquisition, I became a number. Lots of benefits for staying with a big company, but now I'm just a number. Not sure I'm comfortable being a number, when I was just the top biller in the world. Staying the course for now, but unrest is certainly starting to boil. :yesnod: I am very fortunately to have my existing client of 26 years as a second income, so it buys me time, but I don't want to be anyone's whore.

So you are now "just" employee number "X".

Questions for you to answer for yourself ( as in don't post the answer)
1) Is your annual salary and bonus enough to keep you financially secure?
2) Is the above monetary compensation enough or do you require company recognition too?
3) Would a move to the standing offer truly make you happy ?
4) Is the standing offer company secure enough for long term employment if you would take it?

Don't look at today, look at the big picture and do what is best for you and your family.

Good luck and I wish you the best in whatever you decide :datawiz:

Datawiz 08-09-2018 8:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1639329)
So you are now "just" employee number "X".

Questions for you to answer for yourself ( as in don't post the answer)
1) Is your annual salary and bonus enough to keep you financially secure?
2) Is the above monetary compensation enough or do you require company recognition too?
3) Would a move to the standing offer truly make you happy ?
4) Is the standing offer company secure enough for long term employment if you would take it?

Don't look at today, look at the big picture and do what is best for you and your family.

Good luck and I wish you the best in whatever you decide :datawiz:

Jeff, I make major bank regardless. It's about scale for what I do. Scale, and the offer on the table is another $25k/yr. base. I'm old enough, and deep enough in my career, that if that number is met, I'll ride out the rest of my career doing exactly what I'm doing. I don't wish to be a manager, I don't want to be responsible for other's failures. Pay me what I'm worth and I'll continue to kick ass. I'll make my side gig like I always have, and another 15 years of what I'm doing and I'll be in very good shape.

If nothing changes from right now, I'll still be in great shape, but it's still the principle of it. That missing $25k is already on the table....company just not as big.

SteelCityBlue 08-10-2018 12:38pm

If I could get to significantly smaller stable company and a raise, I'd take it in a heartbeat and ride it out until they got bought out.

tjfontaine 08-10-2018 2:50pm

Saying this as a former Technical Director at Fortune 500 company ... these big firms don't really set their compensation policies up around super high performers like you Craig. Basically, the plan is for the normal employee, and folks slightly better and slightly worse than that. We lost several ultra high performers because we just could not get them to a higher salary fast enough for their contribution levels. YMMV but I am going to say IBM is similar to us and you will become frustrated with the pay part.

Now - if you decide you want to instead slow down a bit, take a little more free time, and still have a rewarding career /job and ride it until you retire - that can make all the sense in the world. Just set your expectations accordingly.

69camfrk 08-10-2018 3:08pm

Best I can do for ya is a beer tomorrow. Whatcha' havin'?:seasix:

DAB 08-10-2018 3:17pm

companies generally want to pay you as little as possible while still getting the work done well.

what is important to you?

max income now? long term employment with a large company? freedom to set your own schedule?

grab a brew, grab your wife, and sit and talk it over.

VITE1 08-10-2018 3:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1639378)
Saying this as a former Technical Director at Fortune 500 company ... these big firms don't really set their compensation policies up around super high performers like you Craig. Basically, the plan is for the normal employee, and folks slightly better and slightly worse than that. We lost several ultra high performers because we just could not get them to a higher salary fast enough for their contribution levels. YMMV but I am going to say IBM is similar to us and you will become frustrated with the pay part.

Now - if you decide you want to instead slow down a bit, take a little more free time, and still have a rewarding career /job and ride it until you retire - that can make all the sense in the world. Just set your expectations accordingly.

:iagree:

Rainmakers are only loved in a drought then overlooked when things are back to normal.

Ask them for more money ONLY if you are prepared to walk out the door.

DAB 08-10-2018 3:48pm

here's your competition:

https://www.foxbusiness.com/technolo...world-champion

and he's a "world champion!"

new kids coming into the work force everyday. they work cheap, hard, and want your job.

Datawiz 08-10-2018 5:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1639378)

This is still consulting. There is no slowing down. Each new job has it's full bag of deadlines and headaches. Listening to what you just said makes me want to explore the smaller entity. Even though they are part of a mid-sized entity, the chance of buyout down the road is still there.

As you have summarized, I'm now a number, and being a number will not be able to accommodate high achievers. I have to figure out the next move appropriately.

Datawiz 08-10-2018 5:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1639382)
here's your competition:

new kids coming into the work force everyday. they work cheap, hard, and want your job.

He's local to me. ;)

I trained him. :lol: I know a shit ton about Excel, including programming it from the back end, but I give huge props to this kid since he's only been doing it for a year.

I know more about Excel than 99% of the world, but this kid would still kick my butt.

Datawiz 08-10-2018 5:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1639382)
here's your competition:

The hunger from what is behind you is what should drive you. As we see plain and simply with GWiz, her peers just aren't that hungry. Not many people in the country sniffing up my butt.

Foreign Countries??? That's a whole different landscape. :willy:

Datawiz 08-10-2018 5:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1639379)
Best I can do for ya is a beer tomorrow. Whatcha' havin'?:seasix:

Heineken! :datawiz:

Datawiz 08-10-2018 5:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1639380)
companies generally want to pay you as little as possible while still getting the work done well.

what is important to you?

max income now? long term employment with a large company? freedom to set your own schedule?

grab a brew, grab your wife, and sit and talk it over.

Max income and another 15 years minimum. I work out of the house and am paid for my brain. I could work another 25 years and still crush it. I will likely never fully retire, as I can't sit still. If I'm not being paid for my brain, then I'm going to get into software animation. Passion I've had forever.

DAB 08-10-2018 5:49pm

don't need to convince me.

you need to figure out your next move.

pending project? eh, if all the others are paid as well as you, then they are equally qualified to take over tomorrow.

if you got squished by a very large truck tomorrow, big blue would figure out how to carry on without you.

I assume you have provided for your family, because big blue will not be paying for Mrs. Data's grocery bill going forward. they don't care about people (no company does), they only care about money.

i previously quit and walked out in one day. got tired of the boss stealing my retirement money. pending jobs? tough boss, you showed no loyalty to me, neither will i show it to you. bye. out the door by noon with my stuff.

so....

you could talk to the boss monday first thing: "boss, i'm not getting paid for my talents. i want a raise/bonus or i'm gone by friday. let me know."

and be prepared to send in your name tag.

but you know all this.

:cert::datawiz:

Datawiz 08-10-2018 6:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1639395)
don't need to convince me.

you need to figure out your next move.

pending project? eh, if all the others are paid as well as you, then they are equally qualified to take over tomorrow.

if you got squished by a very large truck tomorrow, big blue would figure out how to carry on without you.

I assume you have provided for your family, because big blue will not be paying for Mrs. Data's grocery bill going forward. they don't care about people (no company does), they only care about money.

i previously quit and walked out in one day. got tired of the boss stealing my retirement money. pending jobs? tough boss, you showed no loyalty to me, neither will i show it to you. bye. out the door by noon with my stuff.

so....

you could talk to the boss monday first thing: "boss, i'm not getting paid for my talents. i want a raise/bonus or i'm gone by friday. let me know."

and be prepared to send in your name tag.

but you know all this.

:cert::datawiz:

Correct. I would never make the call out without the backup plan. That conversation is happening, and the competitor is frothing at the bit to land me. The rest of 2018 could be fun to watch.

DAB 08-10-2018 6:23pm

i had no backup plan. i just left.

Datawiz 08-10-2018 6:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1639399)
i had no backup plan. i just left.

With GWiz still at GT, I'm still on the hook for WAY too much money. We can exit her college years with zero debt, so that's the focus. Quarter Mil cash, and no debt.

Nothing else matters at this moment, hence why monster race car is still dead.