The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Oh, Boy! Evacuated again. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116833)

MrPeabody 07-28-2018 4:09pm

Oh, Boy! Evacuated again.

Still can't see the fire from our house, but they issued a mandatory evacuation up to the freeway which is less than one mile from our house. We are at my daughter's house, everyone is safe. Unfortunately we are getting good at this. Second time in four years. By this time tomorrow or the next day we could be out of danger, or everything I own is in my Nissan Sentra in the driveway here.

They are even doing a full evacuation of the hospital which is no small undertaking so it might be serious. Wish us luck.

I'll try to find some links if anyone wants to follow the show.

Here: http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incid...ils/Index/2178

It's called the River Fire.

69camfrk 07-28-2018 4:12pm

You ever think about moving to a state that is not constantly on fire?

99 pewtercoupe 07-28-2018 4:28pm

We were just last month up in Sonoma Valley where they had fires last year. The majority of the land looks absolutely bone dry. Irrigated areas are the only green spaces. Combine dry, heat and winds and you have a recipe for disaster

Stay safe Mr P. Hope your place is spared :sadangel:

MrPeabody 07-28-2018 4:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1638111)
You ever think about moving to a state that is not constantly on fire?

There's nowhere where you don't have to worry about some kind of natural disaster. I've lived here since 1961 and so far so good.
Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1638113)
We were just last month up in Sonoma Valley where they had fires last year. The majority of the land looks absolutely bone dry. Irrigated areas are the only green spaces. Combine dry, heat and winds and you have a recipe for disaster

Stay safe Mr P. Hope your place is spared :sadangel:

I do know for a fact that our Sheriff is prone to calling for evacuations and erring on the safe side. Worst case scenario is we got all our important stuff, we had far more notice than last time. We also have a nice place to stay for as long as we need to. We are more fortunate than most. Thanks for your concern.

benny42 07-28-2018 4:44pm

Be safe over there. Hoping you & your family are ok and able to get far away.

Jobaka 07-28-2018 4:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1638117)
There's nowhere where you don't have to worry about some kind of natural disaster.

Truth.

Quote:

I do know for a fact that our Sheriff is prone to calling for evacuations and erring on the safe side.

Sometimes it's better to be cautious than caught off guard.

From your CalFire link: 6,000 acres - 2% contained

Sounds like it could get really bad really fast. Be safe.

mrvette 07-28-2018 4:55pm

My son in Grass Valley called yesterday noon, my time and told me the valley was full of smoke, and the fire was ~150 miles away......:issues:

Long discussion about what is happening.....from the volcanic actions all around the specific rim, now Hawaii, and possible undersea warming of the ocean....making weather changes.....to the messed up weather we have had here in FloriDAH where it won't stop friggin raining for the last 4 months ....

:dance::shots:

MrPeabody 07-28-2018 5:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1638120)
My son in Grass Valley called yesterday noon, my time and told me the valley was full of smoke, and the fire was ~150 miles away......:issues:

Long discussion about what is happening.....from the volcanic actions all around the specific rim, now Hawaii, and possible undersea warming of the ocean....making weather changes.....to the messed up weather we have had here in FloriDAH where it won't stop friggin raining for the last 4 months ....

:dance::shots:

I do know this. I've lived in this area since '91. 100 degree temperatures in the summer are not unusual. But this is the third year where it been 100 just about every day all summer. Now I know three years is a blink of an eye in long term climate patterns, but it is unusual still. I've talked to people who have lived here 90 years and not seen anything like it.

Here and now, the scary thing is yesterday winds were calm during the day but gusted strongly in the early evening. Same thing today. Calm winds during the day. We'll see what the evening brings. It's the winds that turn manageable brush fires into major disasters. And if the fire gets going strong, it makes it's own wind.

The land between my house and the fire is mostly grass and brush, and they've been making people keep it trimmed. A few trees here and there, but not a forest like the fire in 2015.

The other thing I have going for me I there are structures around the immediate vicinity of my house that will take on a high priority to save. Things like the Sheriff's headquarters, a major health clinic and the fairgrounds. And when enough outside firefighters arrive the fairgrounds is their marshalling yard and camp. They are literally parked less than 200 ft. from my door. They are not there yet, but I'm sure they will be soon.

Grey Ghost 07-28-2018 5:36pm

Stay safe and best wishes for no harm to your property.

boracayjohnny 07-28-2018 9:22pm

Be safe up there, Mr P.

MrPeabody 07-28-2018 9:59pm

So my evening/night /morning will be spent calling my house on my cell phone. As long as my answering machine picks up, my house is still there. Tomorrow we will have brunch at the country club like we were planning to do and we will either celebrate our house surviving the fire, or toast a new beginning.:cert:

Olustee bus 07-29-2018 2:16am

only 5 % contained last night. Terrible I wish the best for you and yours.

mrvette 07-29-2018 2:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1638166)
So my evening/night /morning will be spent calling my house on my cell phone. As long as my answering machine picks up, my house is still there. Tomorrow we will have brunch at the country club like we were planning to do and we will either celebrate our house surviving the fire, or toast a new beginning.:cert:

Lets hope it's not.......:leaving:

86RAG 07-29-2018 6:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1638166)

Good to see you are staying positive. Good luck, and stay safe :cert:

Black94lt1 07-29-2018 7:47am

Stay safe and hoping for no damage

69camfrk 07-29-2018 8:48am

Quote:

There's nowhere where you don't have to worry about some kind of natural disaster. I've lived here since 1961 and so far so good.

While true, this is like the second time in a year that you've had to evacuate. I just wouldn't want to live like that. I do sincerely hope everything is ok for you though.:seasix:

MrPeabody 07-29-2018 9:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1638197)
While true, this is like the second time in a year that you've had to evacuate. I just wouldn't want to live like that. I do sincerely hope everything is ok for you though.:seasix:

Actually, the last time was three years ago. There have been other fires, but we were not involved. As far as "living like that", I have lived in California since 1961 and never been affected by a natural disaster. We do live with the threat of earthquakes, I was 10 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 and my house was not damaged. The news likes to show the same areas of damage over and over again and it makes people think everything was destroyed. The fact is that earthquake was a 7.0 and 99.99999999999% of things were not damaged. Life is all the luck of the draw. When we go out for lunch today I'm more likely to be killed in a car accident than to be killed in a fire or earthquake.

I do appreciate your concern, though.

MrPeabody 07-29-2018 9:49am

As of this morning the fire is still several miles from my town. This may take several days to play out and be sure our house in still safe. No wind this morning, so that is good news.
Our hospital is still safe, and the ER and some other vital services remain open, although some longer term patients were evacuated.

69camfrk 07-29-2018 12:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1638201)
Actually, the last time was three years ago. There have been other fires, but we were not involved. As far as "living like that", I have lived in California since 1961 and never been affected by a natural disaster. We do live with the threat of earthquakes, I was 10 miles from the epicenter of the Loma Prieta earthquake in '89 and my house was not damaged. The news likes to show the same areas of damage over and over again and it makes people think everything was destroyed. The fact is that earthquake was a 7.0 and 99.99999999999% of things were not damaged. Life is all the luck of the draw. When we go out for lunch today I'm more likely to be killed in a car accident than to be killed in a fire or earthquake.

I do appreciate your concern, though.

Holy crap...3 years ago? Boy, that went by fast! I just remember you having to evac, and it seems like yesterday! Was that earthquake the one that jacked up the highway and messed up the World Series? I was watching the game when it happened.

VatorMan 07-29-2018 1:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1638222)
Holy crap...3 years ago? Boy, that went by fast! I just remember you having to evac, and it seems like yesterday! Was that earthquake the one that jacked up the highway and messed up the World Series? I was watching the game when it happened.

I was still in the USN and on shore duty at Concord Weapons Station. The ground moved like waves in the ocean. It was 2 days before I could find out if my wife and kids were OK in Vallejo.