The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dog food (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120104)

Rodnok1 08-25-2019 6:38pm

Dog food

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else make their own dog food and if you do what do you use for ingredients?
I've been making it since early this year (should have a long time ago) as I believe the food I had him on resulted in pesticide poisoning, he he had 9 out of 10 markers. Kidneys almost failed and had other issues. It took 2 weeks to recover some(what a nightmare a week was) and another 3 months for him to get back to normal on my food.
He was overweight and not himself for the previous 6 months to a year, around the time the company was sold last year we started having issues.

Petsmart I believe sells food made in store at a few locations now, no pricing was advertised and not in my area unfortunately.

It can be a PITA to get into a routine to making it, I try to make food once or twice a month at most and supplement with sardines and whatever food we are having.
Dog is 8 year old Husky Sheppard mix

My usual recipe :
Chicken of choice cooked deboned and shredded(bagged separate) usually 2 whole chickens at a time
Hamburger cooked usually 10lbs at a time(bagged separate)

Sweet Potatoes boiled and mashed 8 to 10 lbs
Frozen peas shredded
Frozen chopped kale
Carrots shredded
Broth of whatever I have
Eggs(6 to 12 depending on amount made)
Cranberry sauce either jelly or berries
All of above mixed and bagged.
Everything is frozen.

Either white or brown rice(he doesn't care for either)
For filler I use bread heals, old crackers or rice Krispies and a sprinkle of fruit loops as he's a sugar junky.

He eats well now, much better than the previous year or so and weight is spot on now.

MrPeabody 08-25-2019 7:10pm

Sometimes I cook them chicken gizzards or livers and brown rice. They are small dogs, so I just do a couple pounds at a time. They love it.

Make sure you put salt in the food. They need and like that.:yesnod:

StaticCling 08-25-2019 9:48pm

We usually feed Sam Stella & Chewy Raw diet, but I do occasionally cook for him. Rice, Ground Beef or Turkey, Chicken Breast. Often if I am cooking for Heather and I, I'll make something for him as well. :yesnod:

snide 08-26-2019 8:23am

Great looking dog! Can definitely see the Husky in him. Can't see the shepherd though...

:cheers:

8Up 08-26-2019 5:49pm

Canned food smells much better than it tastes. :leaving:

Rodnok1 08-26-2019 6:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1681729)
Great looking dog! Can definitely see the Husky in him. Can't see the shepherd though...

:cheers:

Husky on the outside and all Sheppard on the inside... Hell of a guard dog, which huskies are not. Completely uncoordinated dog, zero jumping skills and turning radius of half a mile. He usually waits until 3ft from mowing you down to start his turn. He's knocked me down more a couple of times, I run away and stand next to something we he starts playing.
He's plowed into my car and the barn a few times also, a fence I could understand but a car? I question his ability to see beyond his nose sometimes.

snide 08-26-2019 6:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1681832)
Husky on the outside and all Sheppard on the inside... Hell of a guard dog, which huskies are not. Completely uncoordinated dog, zero jumping skills and turning radius of half a mile. He usually waits until 3ft from mowing you down to start his turn. He's knocked me down more a couple of times, I run away and stand next to something we he starts playing.
He's plowed into my car and the barn a few times also, a fence I could understand but a car? I question his ability to see beyond his nose sometimes.

Awesome! :funnier::funnier: Yeah, Huskies are not good guard dogs. We have two and they'll let anybody in the house. :funnier:

LilRedCorvette 08-29-2019 11:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1681701)
Anyone else make their own dog food and if you do what do you use for ingredients?
I've been making it since early this year (should have a long time ago) as I believe the food I had him on resulted in pesticide poisoning, he he had 9 out of 10 markers. Kidneys almost failed and had other issues. It took 2 weeks to recover some(what a nightmare a week was) and another 3 months for him to get back to normal on my food.
He was overweight and not himself for the previous 6 months to a year, around the time the company was sold last year we started having issues.

Petsmart I believe sells food made in store at a few locations now, no pricing was advertised and not in my area unfortunately.

It can be a PITA to get into a routine to making it, I try to make food once or twice a month at most and supplement with sardines and whatever food we are having.
Dog is 8 year old Husky Sheppard mix

My usual recipe :
Chicken of choice cooked deboned and shredded(bagged separate) usually 2 whole chickens at a time
Hamburger cooked usually 10lbs at a time(bagged separate)

Sweet Potatoes boiled and mashed 8 to 10 lbs
Frozen peas shredded
Frozen chopped kale
Carrots shredded
Broth of whatever I have
Eggs(6 to 12 depending on amount made)
Cranberry sauce either jelly or berries
All of above mixed and bagged.
Everything is frozen.

Either white or brown rice(he doesn't care for either)
For filler I use bread heals, old crackers or rice Krispies and a sprinkle of fruit loops as he's a sugar junky.

He eats well now, much better than the previous year or so and weight is spot on now.

He's beautiful :angel: love the crossed paws, looking all regal :Jeff '79: :seasix: