The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   P-3 F/A -18....... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127910)

mrvette 02-17-2022 10:36am

P-3 F/A -18.......

1 Attachment(s)
types of planes....

JetMechZ16 02-17-2022 11:37am

I've worked on both.

Matter of fact my Avatar is an F/A-18 engine blowing up on the test cell.

ZipZap 02-17-2022 1:49pm

I spent a ton of time in Sunnyvale, CA for my job. Lunchtime was an escape from the concrete walls of the Blue Cube. I would head over to Togo's and grab a sub. Then I would sit at the end of the runway at Moffett field to eat. P-3's were the staple, but I would see everything from fighters to NASA U-2's. Good times:seasix:

JetMechZ16 02-17-2022 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1941647)
I spent a ton of time in Sunnyvale, CA for my job. Lunchtime was an escape from the concrete walls of the Blue Cube. I would head over to Togo's and grab a sub. Then I would sit at the end of the runway at Moffett field to eat. P-3's were the staple, but I would see everything from fighters to NASA U-2's. Good times:seasix:

When I was a kid I'd lay in the grass and watch P-3's fly over heading into and out of Moffet Field. I remember thinking to my self that one day I was gonna fly in those. I did.

Norm 02-17-2022 3:20pm

The one I heard was a C-130 and a F-16. Humorous story. :D

erickpl 02-17-2022 3:45pm

Quote:

Worked at Dryden Flight Research Center and along the flightline I could watch U2's, NASA's modified F-15 ACTIVE, F-16XL with laminar flow, SR 71's, and even the B52 with an occasional shuttle on top. Saw Edwards AFB's -15's and -16's, even a few B2's and F22's while they were doing flight testing.

Was at "Last Chance" when the SR-71 took its last mission flights in support of the X33 Venturestar aerospike engine tests. VERY cool. It's amazing there are STILL parts of the SR71 cockpit that are still classified. They had to cover parts and equipment up when my kids and I had a chance to get in one years ago.

Louie Detroit 02-17-2022 4:18pm

He should've started the coffee and then taken the leak. Would have shaved off a minute or so from the mission.

Mitchell Gant 02-17-2022 5:15pm

Quote:

I also worked in the Blue Cube and lived in the Moffett dorms 90-93.:patriot:

ZipZap 02-17-2022 5:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitchell Gant (Post 1941683)
I also worked in the Blue Cube and lived in the Moffett dorms 90-93.:patriot:

I was in it for the Loma Prieta earthquake and we were watching the WS game:rofl:

Mitchell Gant 02-17-2022 5:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1941684)
I was in it for the Loma Prieta earthquake and we were watching the WS game:rofl:

My roommate worked in the Command Post and I think I was off duty when the quake hit. I was a Red Cross volunteer for damage assessment when the Oakland/East Bay fire happened. I saw Reggie Jackson's house and car collection (what was left of it).

theandies 02-17-2022 5:51pm

If it's not a C5 or a C141 (RIP) I'm not interested. Jet Engine mechanic on those two types.
Just kidding I love all aircraft.

Dan Dlabay 02-17-2022 5:54pm

Here is a good one

theandies 02-17-2022 6:02pm

Being and A&P mechanic this is one of my favorites:

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...pictureid=3176

This has been hanging on my garage wall forever. I really need to re-type it.

ZipZap 02-17-2022 7:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by theandies (Post 1941694)
Being and A&P mechanic this is one of my favorites:

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...pictureid=3176

This has been hanging on my garage wall forever. I really need to re-type it.

When I walked out to pre-flight my oh so powerful C-172 for my private checkride I rolled the plane forward and sure enough, someone had flat spotted one of the tires down to the cords. I showed it to the check pilot and you could tell he was pissed that the school had not properly prepped the plane. The A/P that was on duty that day had that thing swapped in less than 30 minutes. Amazingly, that was the only issue I ever found with a rental plane at pre-flight.