The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Has anyone Ever Fixed A Windshield Chip Themselves ? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119712)

Jeff '79 07-06-2019 8:44am

Has anyone Ever Fixed A Windshield Chip Themselves ?

1 Attachment(s)
I have 3 spread among 2 cars so I ordered this.

Attachment 28432

Seems easy enough, so I'm gonna give it a go on < quarter sized stone shots with minimal starring.
How'd yours work out ?

:waiting:

Stangkiller 07-06-2019 9:24am

I haven’t, but to do it right you have to drill open the crack a bit, and most use us light to dry.

A new windshield installed is surprisingly cheap, I wonder if repairs are even worth the risk.

Lakeside49 07-06-2019 9:56am

I have used them twice and they worked amazingly well - the chips were unnoticeable afterward and a permanent repair. Follow the instructions precisely and you’ll be pleased with the results. You need one kit for each chip.

04 commemorative 07-06-2019 11:25am

insurance companies will repair the chips for nothing ! It is cheaper for them to fix it before it can't be fixed and they need to replace.....why do it yourself :confused5:

Jeff '79 07-06-2019 2:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1675526)
insurance companies will repair the chips for nothing ! It is cheaper for them to fix it before it can't be fixed and they need to replace.....why do it yourself :confused5:

Glass companies won't do it if the chip is in the driver's sight line.
I'd rather not chance paint damage from a windshield change out.

04 commemorative 07-06-2019 2:20pm

Had many windshields replaced and never had any paint damage

MrPeabody 07-06-2019 4:40pm

I'm no expert, the I've heard the rule of thumb is if the chip is bigger than a dime, you replace the windshield.

Cybercowboy 07-06-2019 6:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1675534)

Must be a New York thing because my insurance company paid to get a big chip repaired right smack in my line of vision in my MDX and the place that fixed it waved me off and said they do this all the time, no charge at all and no hassle for them beyond the phone number to my agent.

JRD77VET 07-06-2019 6:40pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1675526)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1675535)

I had a tiny chip on the passenger side of my previous Suburban and the insurance company had it replaced AT MY WORK. No inconvenience to me at all.

Heavy blankets across the hood and other than missing inspection stickers, you could never tell they worked on it. ( inspection stickers were still on the piece of the original windshield they gave me. nice smooth edges on that too ).

The one in the attached pic on my 90 Suburban was "free to me" too. Dump truck kicked up a rock and I had my insurance company on the phone as I was attempting to chase him down ( heavy traffic on two lane roads ). They said leave him go, it's no cost to you.

Black94lt1 07-06-2019 8:31pm

Quote:

Last one I had replaced, sure enough they scratched the paint in the one area where I did not get photos of beforehand :leaving:

Dan Dlabay 07-06-2019 8:58pm

I had a rock chip in the windshield of my truck. It was repaired and it held for about 5 years. Then I had a long crack in the windshield. Had the windshield replaced. No leaks no paint damage.:cert:

bill_daniels 07-06-2019 9:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1675562)
I had a tiny chip on the passenger side of my previous Suburban and the insurance company had it replaced AT MY WORK. No inconvenience to me at all.

Heavy blankets across the hood and other than missing inspection stickers, you could never tell they worked on it. ( inspection stickers were still on the piece of the original windshield they gave me. nice smooth edges on that too ).

The one in the attached pic on my 90 Suburban was "free to me" too. Dump truck kicked up a rock and I had my insurance company on the phone as I was attempting to chase him down ( heavy traffic on two lane roads ). They said leave him go, it's no cost to you.

If he kicked up a rock that was already on the roadway, he's not responsible for your damage. If it fell out of his truck, AKA: his load wasn't secured properly, THEN he's responsible. There's a reason we call it "road hazard."

JRD77VET 07-06-2019 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1675592)
If he kicked up a rock that was already on the roadway, he's not responsible for your damage. If it fell out of his truck, AKA: his load wasn't secured properly, THEN he's responsible. There's a reason we call it "road hazard."

It fell out of his truck. He was "charging" a BIG hill. I saw him hit a dip in the road and a rock bounce out of the truck, onto the road and directly into my windshield. :cuss:

mrvette 07-07-2019 4:02am

O1 Focus, POS Love to hate, few years ago, chip about 6" above hood on driver side, I just put some cheap super clue in it.....no problem.....

couple years later, same this only large and spreading on pass side....this time the insurance picked it up.....only took about an hour right here in the driveway.....

My '72 vette is Museum coverage, so I wonder about the glass on it....

but no issue so far.....:dance:

Jeff '79 07-07-2019 7:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1675535)

I have.
Just one nick in the paint will cause the cancer to spread into the cage.
Fixing that is no inexpensive feat and thoroughly pizzes me off.
I'll try this first, as this is not a leased car.
If it was leased, I wouldn't care.

04 commemorative 07-07-2019 8:48am

understood.....I am on windshield #4 with my Honda CRV :willy:
I call it the rock magnet :wow:.....there is hardly a time we go anywhere and a rock will not hit us somewhere......crazy :spdchk:

Jeff '79 07-13-2019 10:48am

It worked.
$8.99 and an hour of my time and I can't tell that there was a visual obstruction there unless I really look for it.
One thing that I'd do differently is to push the resin in a bit harder than the U-Tube video said to. There is a 1/16' spider crack left that would definitely have been gone if I did that. Again, if you didn't know that it was there, you couldn't see it.
It'll pass the Nazi NYS inspection no problem.:dance:
On to my wife's leased Jeep...:D

snide 07-13-2019 7:36pm

Awesome before and after pics. :thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

Jeff '79 07-13-2019 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1676161)
Awesome before and after pics. :thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

Ya. No one cares amymore so I said fkit:seasix:

BOTY 07-15-2019 8:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1675594)
It fell out of his truck. He was "charging" a BIG hill. I saw him hit a dip in the road and a rock bounce out of the truck, onto the road and directly into my windshield. :cuss:

:yesnod: