The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   HID / State Inspection (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4124)

Garb55 11-11-2010 10:48pm

HID / State Inspection

I do not drive much at night however would like to convert to over to HID low beams only, no High Beams! Oh I do like High Beams :lolsmile:. Curious, if you have to have high and low beam to pass inspection in TX, what is this best route to go in order to pass or is not an issue?

Y2Kvert4me 11-11-2010 10:57pm

I've not seen any headlight modification that completely eliminates high beam bulbs, so unless there is, I'm not understanding your question. :confused5:

Using HID lows/retaining stock halogen highs are the usual mod, short of going to the more expensive alternatives in aftermarket projector housings.

:cheers:

Garb55 11-11-2010 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 49575)
I've not seen any headlight modification that completely eliminates high beam bulbs, so unless there is, I'm not understanding your question. :confused5:

Using HID lows/retaining stock halogen highs are the usual mod, short of going to the more expensive alternatives in aftermarket projector housings.

:cheers:

OK, My bad! I'm trying to understand in the state TX if you have HID low beams and you go for inspections and they hit the HI beams they will not be the same color / they do not match will it be a problem for passing.

illmac77 11-12-2010 8:24am

The past three years i have not had a prob. passing state inspections. the last one i just did was in sept. only thing there ever courious is how do u hope the door, i guess they dont see shaved handles much....

Garb55 11-12-2010 9:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by illmac77 (Post 49589)
The past three years i have not had a prob. passing state inspections. the last one i just did was in sept. only thing there ever courious is how do u hope the door, i guess they dont see shaved handles much....

Thanks Mike. I bet that's interesting to watch, hey were is the door Handel. :confused5:

Defib1961 11-12-2010 8:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garb55 (Post 49597)
Thanks Mike. I bet that's interesting to watch, hey were is the door Handel. :confused5:

Hope this link helps. It is the best I could do.

Texas Department of Public Safety - Inspection/Rejection Criteria

Lowcash 11-13-2010 9:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by illmac77 (Post 49589)

:iagree: I have taken my car to the same shop the past 2 years and the same guy inspects it each year and ask the same question every year. :D

Garb55 11-25-2010 8:26pm

Installed! "WOW" Now I want them for the Truck!

ZQQH6 12-06-2010 11:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garb55 (Post 51004)
Installed! "WOW" Now I want them for the Truck!

Which lights did you go with? From who?

Garb55 12-06-2010 4:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZQQH6 (Post 51895)
Which lights did you go with? From who?

As I do not drive much at night in the ZO6 I choose just to try out a C5 Corvette Low Beam Slim Ballasts 6000k HID Kit from JW Motoring. It is a Plug and play, reasonable price for my limited night driving and is a Hugh Difference over the stock Lamp. Great Service Great product. If I drove more at night I would have gone with a Projector Light or Light Cannon. I have my eye on these but my side job has to really pick up and it is extremely slow right now.

Munch 12-07-2010 5:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garb55 (Post 51929)
As I do not drive much at night in the ZO6 I choose just to try out a C5 Corvette Low Beam Slim Ballasts 6000k HID Kit from JW Motoring. It is a Plug and play, reasonable price for my limited night driving and is a Hugh Difference over the stock Lamp. Great Service Great product. If I drove more at night I would have gone with a Projector Light or Light Cannon. I have my eye on these but my side job has to really pick up and it is extremely slow right now.

Do the ones you have now seem to bounce a lot or are they jittery?

Garb55 12-07-2010 7:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 52067)
Do the ones you have now seem to bounce a lot or are they jittery?

The Bulbs did not fit as snug as the Factory ones. I bent the metal tabs on the Light Housing and reinserted the Bulbs and they were a tighter fit. I have only driven 2x at night and as of now no bounce or jitter. If they do then I will put a little silicone on them.

Junkman2008 12-08-2010 2:44am

Quote:

:iagree:

Light cannons do rock and they look cool too. JW is great to deal with and his prices are very fair. He stands behind his product too. I love my light cannons. :D

http://www.pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/angel_eyes.jpg

http://www.pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/c5_halos.jpg

Eagleeye 12-08-2010 5:25pm

Car is so shiny...hard to see the lights !

Junkman2008 12-08-2010 9:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagleeye (Post 52265)
car is so shiny...hard to see the lights !

:d :d

Y2Kvert4me 12-08-2010 10:29pm

Quote:

Me too. Love the sleepy eye popup look! :cool1:

Tulsa Vette Guy 12-31-2010 12:17pm

Quote:

:dance::iagree:

Barkingowl 01-04-2011 7:59pm

THe HIDs aren't legal in NC although I did have them mounted in my C5 a number of years ago. They were low beam only. I had to go to a "friendly" inspection station to have the car passed.

2ez 2spd 01-06-2011 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barkingowl (Post 56517)
THe HIDs aren't legal in NC although I did have them mounted in my C5 a number of years ago. They were low beam only. I had to go to a "friendly" inspection station to have the car passed.

I was wondering about NC, I want to change mine but I don't any trouble at inspection time. What makes the HIDs illegal????

Junkman2008 01-07-2011 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ez 2spd (Post 60077)
I was wondering about NC, I want to change mine but I don't any trouble at inspection time. What makes the HIDs illegal????

HID's are not illegal anywhere. It is the using of HID bulbs in a non-HID housing that is illegal.

You cannot legally put HID bulbs in a housing that is not made for HID bulbs. The reason why is that the HID bulb will throw off a scattered light pattern and could possibly blind oncoming drivers. A true HID housing will create a definitive cutoff point and eliminate the possibility of light scatter. See the pictures below:

True HID housing and bulb. Notice the definitive cutoff.

http://www.pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/fogbeam.jpg

HID bulb in non-HID enclosure. Notice that the cutoff is not as defined.

http://www.pc-surgeon.net/images/cforum/lowhidbeam.jpg