The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Walmart is pulling all confederate flag merch.. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84433)

...Whitepower... 06-22-2015 8:22pm

Walmart is pulling all confederate flag merch..

Walmart to stop selling Confederate flag merchandise - CNNPolitics.com

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:24pm

Private enterprise. They are making a smart move to avoid alienating customers.

DAB 06-22-2015 8:25pm

How brave of them to follow. :slap:

Aerovette 06-22-2015 8:26pm

They need the shelf space for the Mexican flag merchandise.

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1371310)
How brave of them to follow. :slap:

They are not supposed to make a moral stand.

They are supposed to create shareholder value.

Period.

Bill 06-22-2015 8:30pm

I have just about decided that the people who want to get rid of the flag, like those in South Carolina, have a point. Too many a-holes and douchebags have co-opted the flag, to the point where it's tainted, just as the Nazis did with the swastika.

Bill 06-22-2015 8:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1371313)

Period.

This. Exactly this.

...Whitepower... 06-22-2015 8:33pm

Last two posts are on point.:yesnod:

LATB 06-22-2015 8:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1371313)

Period.

How does removing the confederate flag merchandise do that? :island14:

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 1371317)
How does removing the confederate flag merchandise do that? :island14:

It avoids a group of merchandise that could be deemed controversial.

Aerovette 06-22-2015 8:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1371314)
I have just about decided that the people who want to get rid of the flag, like those in South Carolina, have a point. Too many a-holes and douchebags have co-opted the flag, to the point where it's tainted, just as the Nazis did with the swastika.

I will tell you this in all honesty and sincerity. Having lived in Atlanta and Texas most of my life, I make no connection to the confederate flag and slavery until someone else does. In my head and heart, it is a symbol of the old south and southern charm and a laid back lifestyle.

The thoughts I have when I see it is childhood memories of Stone Mountain, Kennesaw, Chattanooga, old grist mills, steam trains, battlegrounds, Rock City, and Six Flags over Georgia.

Probably because I didn't own slaves...nor did my parents...or their parents...or theirs before them.

I agree that the Nazi flag has a deep negative symbolism, but to be a true southerner does not carry the same stigma as being a true Nazi.

MrPeabody 06-22-2015 8:41pm

From a purely financial standpoint,

I wish I was on the side of the road in South Carolina selling Rebel flags right now. I'll bet they would need cops to direct the traffic jam of people lined up to buy them.:yesnod:

Just from a purely financial standpoint, you understand.:hide:

MrPeabody 06-22-2015 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1371320)
I will tell you this in all honesty and sincerity. Having lived in Atlanta and Texas most of my life, I make no connection to the confederate flag and slavery until someone else does. In my head and heart, it is a symbol of the old south and southern charm and a laid back lifestyle.

The thoughts I have when I see it is childhood memories of Stone Mountain, Kennesaw, Chattanooga, old grist mills, steam trains, battlegrounds, Rock City, and Six Flags over Georgia.

Probably because I didn't own slaves...nor did my parents...or their parents...or theirs before them.

I agree that the Nazi flag has a deep negative symbolism, but to be a true southerner does not carry the same stigma as being a true Nazi.

I understand fully. It means different things to different people, not all bad things. Unfortunately at the present time it is being made to represent some bad things by some bad people.

LATB 06-22-2015 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1371319)
It avoids a group of merchandise that could be deemed controversial.

I understand that. But don't see how that creates shareholder value.

All these years they selling confederate flag merchandise. THE most successful retailer of all time. Now, they going to remove it "to increase shareholder value"

I say BS.

It is pure political correctness.

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1371321)
From a purely financial standpoint,

I wish I was on the side of the road in South Carolina selling Rebel flags right now. I'll bet they would need cops to direct the traffic jam of people lined up to buy them.:yesnod:

Just from a purely financial standpoint, you understand.:hide:

But for the rest of America that probably won't work.

Even if Wally World shelves this shit until the news cycle has something else to focus on then puts it back on full display, that works. More likely, Walmart was able to jam the inventory back up their suppliers asses and will stock the shelves with something else.

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 1371323)
I understand that. But don't see how that creates shareholder value.

All these years they selling confederate flag merchandise. THE most successful retailer of all time. Now, they going to remove it "to increase shareholder value"

I say BS.

It is pure political correctness.

Avoiding protests or bad PR.

That's the move.

They need to create a place where all poor and uneducated Americans can buy cheaply made shit from slave labor camps in china together.

It's time to start the healing.

Bill 06-22-2015 8:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1371326)

That's the move.

They need to create a place where all poor and uneducated Americans can buy cheaply made shit from slave labor camps in china together.

Take out poor and uneducated, and you've just described the Apple Store.

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1371328)
Take out poor and uneducated, and you've just described the Apple Store.

Lol, heroic stock price, no real controversial stands on anything.

Slave labor, and so much cash they have no idea what to do with it or how to get a lot of it back in the country.

LATB 06-22-2015 8:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 1371326)

That's the move.

There were protests? And, like its the 1st time the PC police has gone after Walmart. :Jeff '79:

So, when government officials call for the removal of black American, or gay American, or Hispanic American, merchandise from the shelves...or any other product representing a particular culture, group, or fad...

Supporters of this move will support that..."for the good of the shareholders". :spdchk:

sanchez 06-22-2015 8:56pm

Granted, I don't have the attachment to the 'stars and bars' that a lot of folks do. I'm from the north, the part of the country that wins civil a wars.