The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Taking the next step toward retirement . . . (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124568)

Mick 01-08-2021 3:03pm

Taking the next step toward retirement . . .

I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1979. In some way, shape, or form, I have either worked full time, part time, or went to school full time (sometimes more than one of those at the same time) ever since.

In 2012, I got the boot from Corporate America, and went into consulting. I made good money consulting, but could never keep myself fully employed that way, so it was kind of part time, with my property management as another part-time job. I left the consulting company I primarily used in 2016. I have done a few small paying gigs since then, but consider myself retired from consulting.

In 2017, I still had 2 investment properties, which kept me pretty busy (old buildings), but I made decent money. I sold the 3 family last year, and today, listed the 2 family with a realtor. With any luck, it will sell in a few months, and I will be fully retired. :cheers:

DAB 01-08-2021 3:17pm

my investments don't call me at 2am with no hot water.

DJ_Critterus 01-08-2021 3:20pm

When you retire, make sure to tell your boss to go **** himself :yesnod:

:leaving:

Seriously, I'll never buy property to rent out again unless it's making enough money to cover a management and maintenance team while still turning a profit. No way in hell will I rent out again.

mrvette 01-08-2021 3:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1842541)

:leaving:

Seriously, I'll never buy property to rent out again unless it's making enough money to cover a management and maintenance team while still turning a profit. No way in hell will I rent out again.

MY hard earned advice/opinion is NEVER take in any business partners.....it worked fine for my Dad, back when, even in the Wash DC region.....but that is all 80 years ago, ending in '86 or so his experience was fine......even when not paying off some CONNgress person......the few rentals I had over the years were not an issue.....never had a problem.....course I fixed houses for a living so........:dance::D

thecornerman 01-08-2021 3:34pm

Retirement?
We can retire?
F-K, I spent my life savings trying to keep the grand kids from going into a foster home.
Anyone got some cardboard so I can make a "need food sign"

Mike Mercury 01-08-2021 3:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1842536)
I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1979.

for me, I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1974; never missed a 40hr paycheck in the past 46 years. I did go through a period of bad health (long ago), but my employer at that time continued to pay me; it was great they did that.

My magic date is Dec 13, 2021; I turn 66 and 2 months and will switch to part time then. Yeah, part time; I wasn't supposed to live past age 35 so I never did anything on my own for retirement; Social Security only.

ZipZap 01-08-2021 4:37pm

Working since 1976. Punched out on 1 January.

Ready to do what I want to do. Pretty sure they'll come back after my "skills" but it will definitely be on my terms now.

Getting the F out of CA is my next step come Tuesday. Can't wait 'til Gavin comes after my retirement:rofl: They tried this once when I got out of the military in '92, and I expect them to do it again. GFY:D

The_Dude 01-08-2021 4:43pm

Good for you PK. I wish I could say the same. :cert:

99 pewtercoupe 01-08-2021 4:47pm

I retired in Oct 2017 after working full time since June 1973 (other than one 6 month period). I turn 65 this month and have already registered for Medicare but will hold off until at least 2022 for SS. Medicare and my supplement is still about $1,000 a month less than what I was paying for Obama Care.
I have not regretted retiring for a single day. :party:

Wathen1955 01-08-2021 5:14pm

I've been working full time since 1973. I retired in May 2020, after putting in 33 years and 6 months with the company. I haven't touched SS yet, as my full retirement age is 66 and 2 months which will occur on July 2021. I'm currently living off my 401k which is still making $$$ even pulling from it each month, and a small pension.

My biggest mistake - signing up for Medicare the same month I retired and my birthday which I turned 65. So my Medicare cost is now based on what I was making while working so I pay more. Now I have to do an adjustment through SS to have it reduced since I'm no longer working.

Mick 01-08-2021 6:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1842540)
my investments don't call me at 2am with no hot water.

Exactly. One of the reasons why I am ready to leave that kind of self-employment. I've been doing the landlord thing for 15 years. It paid a lot of bills, and padded the kids' college savings accounts, so I have no regrets. But it really isn't doing much for me now that I can't do with some other way that doesn't involve me essentially being a slave to a bunch of whiners who are renting because they don't have the where with all to get off their ass and do something for themselves.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1842541)

I've always said, the downside of self-employment is that I have an asshole for a boss. If I'm sick, or hurt, or just plain exhausted, he doesn't care. I tell him to **** off hoping I'll get fired, and he doesn't care about that either. No win situation. :yesnod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1842545)
MY hard earned advice/opinion is NEVER take in any business partners.....it worked fine for my Dad, back when, even in the Wash DC region.....but that is all 80 years ago, ending in '86 or so his experience was fine......even when not paying off some CONNgress person......the few rentals I had over the years were not an issue.....never had a problem.....course I fixed houses for a living so........:dance::D

My only business partner is my wife. We met when we were teenagers, so I'm pretty sure we'll be taking it long-term. Between the two rentals and the house where I live, yeah, I feel like I have been fixing houses for a living for the last 5 years. Getting rid of the property last year really opened my eyes to how much time I spend keeping up with the bullshit associated with 100 year old buildings, and I've had enough!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1842547)
Retirement?
We can retire?
F-K, I spent my life savings trying to keep the grand kids from going into a foster home.

Sorry to hear that. I don't have any grandchildren yet, and at least so far, the kids are fully independent, so I can focus on me and the wife at this time. I am aware that this can change in an instant.

Dan Dlabay 01-08-2021 6:04pm

I retired in Dec. 2018. As a friend said it is now your time.:cert:

snide 01-08-2021 7:08pm

Quote:

Retirement?
We can retire?

PM your address. I'll send you a cardboard box that you can use to make a couple of signs. The box will also contain two of the main ingredients for Cashew "Chicken", so you'll at least have a couple of meals. :seasix::seasix:

:cheers:

thecornerman 01-08-2021 7:31pm

Lol

Anjdog2003 01-08-2021 7:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1842565)
I wish I could say the same. :cert:

This was enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1842536)
I started working for a paycheck with SS deductions in 1979. In some way, shape, or form, I have either worked full time, part time, or went to school full time (sometimes more than one of those at the same time) ever since.

In 2012, I got the boot from Corporate America, and went into consulting. I made good money consulting, but could never keep myself fully employed that way, so it was kind of part time, with my property management as another part-time job. I left the consulting company I primarily used in 2016. I have done a few small paying gigs since then, but consider myself retired from consulting.

In 2017, I still had 2 investment properties, which kept me pretty busy (old buildings), but I made decent money. I sold the 3 family last year, and today, listed the 2 family with a realtor. With any luck, it will sell in a few months, and I will be fully retired. :cheers:

Mick 03-03-2021 5:11pm

Today, I took the next step. I listed my property for $540,000, and today, singed a contract to sell for $505,000. I now have a "proposed" retirement date of 4/30/21 if the deal finds its way to closing on the proposed date of 4/29/21. Fingers crossed! :thumbs:

Egnalf 03-03-2021 6:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1863648)
Today, I took the next step. I listed my property for $540,000, and today, singed a contract to sell for $505,000. I now have a "proposed" retirement date of 4/30/21 if the deal finds its way to closing on the proposed date of 4/29/21. Fingers crossed! :thumbs:

***sang. Or..***signed

ZipZap 03-03-2021 6:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1863648)

Good job! Only been a couple months but I haven't looked back. I've been going through so much crap that I collected, it's insane. Home weighs at least a ton less than at the start of the year.

Giraffe (He/Him) 03-03-2021 6:31pm

Quote:

Retirement?

Make that two.

Mick 03-03-2021 6:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egnalf (Post 1863665)
***sang. Or..***signed

Yes, you are correct. I didn't "sing" a contract, I signed a contract. :thumbs:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZipZap (Post 1863666)
Good job! Only been a couple months but I haven't looked back. I've been going through so much crap that I collected, it's insane. Home weighs at least a ton less than at the start of the year.

I have been working on that for YEARS! My kids have gotten it in the last few years, and their shit has been getting smaller and smaller. Every time I get rid of a pile of shit that belongs to me and the wife, a new pile shows up someplace else. Every, damn, time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasTheGiraffe (Post 1863667)
Make that two.

Late stage divorces will do that. Sorry Bud.