The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Old Old Old tapes founded. Riviera Paradise (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121961)

SnikPlosskin 03-15-2020 7:18pm

Old Old Old tapes founded. Riviera Paradise

Riviera Paradise

I don't remember playing any of this nor do I ever remember having so much speed and dexterity.

Check this one out - Robin Trower - I especially don't remember playing with so much distortion - I play clean now.

And Rude Mood!

markids77 03-15-2020 7:46pm

Love me some Trower. Great stuff!

SnikPlosskin 03-15-2020 7:52pm

That was 28 years ago. Wow. I knew I lost dexterity and accuracy when I quit in 2006 but I really didn’t understand how much until I found these tapes.

MrPeabody 03-15-2020 7:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1742107)
That was 28 years ago. Wow. I knew I lost dexterity and accuracy when I quit in 2006 but I really didn’t understand how much until I found these tapes.

The drugs were better back then.:leaving:

Broken Wind 03-16-2020 7:43am

Dude, you rocked Trower. Why did you quit in 06?

Lakeside49 03-16-2020 7:59am

Wow - wow!! That was you??
Beautiful!!

Strats-N-Vettes 03-16-2020 8:06am

Rude Mood = :seasix:

SnikPlosskin 03-16-2020 8:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1742108)
The drugs were better back then.:leaving:

Ha! I was clean by then!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Wind (Post 1742201)
Dude, you rocked Trower. Why did you quit in 06?

Thx. I quit for a number of reasons. I moved from Milwaukee where I had a long list of players from Chicago and Milwaukee, a reputation that made gigs come to me, a large database of fans and we were commanding $800-$1000 per show.

Move to Austin and all of that goes away. I was unknown here (not any more! :kimblair: ) People playing for tips here. **** that. I also had an ailing consulting business (the main reason we moved was because of Austins incredible growth. The Midwest was still stuck from 9/11) I had to make a choice. I played a big show three days before we moved.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeside49 (Post 1742204)
Wow - wow!! That was you??
Beautiful!!

Indeed ‘twas. WAS. In fact, that was a precursor band to an even better group.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1742207)
Rude Mood = :seasix:

I cannot play that no matter how hard I try these days. Something about the right hand on that tune I have lost.

simpleman68 03-16-2020 9:08am

Great tunes man!
SRV was the master but Trower had plenty of tasty licks of his own.
Back It Up got played to death in my car in the 80s
Scott

SnikPlosskin 03-16-2020 4:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by simpleman68 (Post 1742221)
Great tunes man!
SRV was the master but Trower had plenty of tasty licks of his own.
Back It Up got played to death in my car in the 80s
Scott

I had forgotten how much Trower I used to play. Definitely one of my formative influences. The other is Alex Lifeson. And Gary Moore.

Strats-N-Vettes 03-16-2020 5:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1742213)
I cannot play that no matter how hard I try these days. Something about the right hand on that tune I have lost.

I butchered it a bunch, relegated myself to 1-5-7 cowboys chords as punishment. :kick:

SnikPlosskin 03-16-2020 7:26pm

One more I found - Voodoo Chile Slight Return. Vocal is buried.

BADRACR1 03-16-2020 9:46pm

I used to play when I was young, too. Played in a couple of local groups with guys I knew. Mostly Skynyrd, Seger, Styx, Foreigner, Boston, CCR and some acoustics like Croce, John Denver, England Dan & John Ford Coley and such. It was the late seventies, early eighties ya know. I try every now and then again but damn I suck now. I remember the lyrics but a lot of the music is lost along with the dexterity. Two or three songs and the carpal tunnel kicks in and I'm done. I think one of the guys has some audio recordings but I haven't seen him in close to thirty years.

Damn good playin', son. Don't think I was ever that good.:BADRACR1:

mrvette 03-17-2020 3:17am

My nephew is now about 65 y/o or so, and he played git-fiddle for a long time, so much so that he screwed up his fingers to the point he can't play anymore, and here I thought it was just him, but reading this.....I guess not......

:confused5::issues:

SnikPlosskin 03-17-2020 8:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1742598)
My nephew is now about 65 y/o or so, and he played git-fiddle for a long time, so much so that he screwed up his fingers to the point he can't play anymore, and here I thought it was just him, but reading this.....I guess not......

:confused5::issues:

Arthritis is definitely part of the equation. Same cause as Crohns. Most of us with The Disease have it. I also assume repetitive motion stress. Luckily I don’t play that style any more. My playing has gone more towards a sparser style, more Jimmie than Stevie (or Lowell Fullson, Anton Funderberg, etc.)

I’m more of an ensemble player (less out front, more of a balanced sound that serves the song, not the ego) a lot of that style is wrapped in ego.

And SRV had one hell of an ego back in the day. He also never had a ride, smokes, cables, a place to live and was wasted all the time when I was in Austin in 1981. I didn’t meet him, but he wasn’t a worldwide star yet. But he was a big deal regionally. Everyone propped him up.

I know this first hand and second hand since most of the people I play with also played with him.