The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Another Social Media Experiment Gone Bad (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104652)

Iron Chef 01-04-2017 9:10am

Another Social Media Experiment Gone Bad

Most people know I'm no fan of social media. On the news this morning, they had a story about two groups of people here in North Texas...one in Dallas and one in Allen (suburb north of Dallas) who got into a fight on Facebook Live. The Dallas group came up to Allen...four people were shot. No one killed that I'm aware of but...REALLY???

Way to go Zuckerberg! Give a voice to people who previously didn't have one. :spdchk:

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-04-2017 9:46am

Isn't this akin to blaming McDonalds because your cholesterol is 5 billion?

Iron Chef 01-04-2017 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1529637)
Isn't this akin to blaming McDonalds because your cholesterol is 5 billion?

Kinda, but I've never heard of anyone getting into a gunfight over a Filet-O-Fish. :dunno:

simpleman68 01-04-2017 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1529640)
Kinda, but I've never heard of anyone getting into a gunfight over a Filet-O-Fish. :dunno:

Well, to be fair....

OddBall 01-04-2017 10:22am

How is that any different from any other argument that escalates to gunplay. You can have a fight on the street corner, schoolyard, a bar, or any other place. Hatfields and McCoys hurt each other a lot over stupid shit, and they had to travel between counties and two states to do it.
I don't think the problem is social media, but more about the character of the people that use it. Either way, for better or worse; it's here to stay.

VatorMan 01-04-2017 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1529647)
I don't think the problem is social media, but more about the character of the people that use it. Either way, for better or worse; it's here to stay.

:iagree: However, Internet and social media has given crazy people instant access to other crazy people just like them. Until you can legislate or correct DNA to get rid of crazy, this will keep happening.

Truck Guy 01-04-2017 10:44am

Anyone who takes the internet and social media seriously is a Fk'n idiot. :slap:

mrvette 01-04-2017 1:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Truck Guy (Post 1529654)
Anyone who takes the internet and social media seriously is a Fk'n idiot. :slap:

Well, I take the comments with a humor sense, and leave it go....but I ASSume the people typing it are trying to be honest......

and some are just sublime, like many liberals/commies in the FB pages/groups I visit.....

there is one group....has a wolf on the header......Ferocious Conservatives..

hardball all the way, my kind of folks......like Uncle Barry Goldwater......

:seasix::hurray:

Iron Chef 01-04-2017 1:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1529650)
:iagree: However, Internet and social media has given crazy people instant access to other crazy people just like them.

This. It's taken an existing problem and increased it by a factor of 20.

Social media HAS done some good, but it's my gut feeling that the bad far outweighs the good.

oyealiz 01-04-2017 4:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1529650)
:iagree: However, Internet and social media has given crazy people instant access to other crazy people just like them. Until you can legislate or correct DNA to get rid of crazy, this will keep happening.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1529701)
This. It's taken an existing problem and increased it by a factor of 20.

Social media HAS done some good, but it's my gut feeling that the bad far outweighs the good.

Oh come on now, I wouldn't even know YOU if it weren't for social media.

Oh, wait.

I see what you mean.

:leaving:

thecornerman 01-04-2017 4:32pm

Quote:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.mlive...roid-sprint-us

VatorMan 01-04-2017 5:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyealiz (Post 1529745)
Oh come on now, I wouldn't even know YOU if it weren't for social media.

Oh, wait.

I see what you mean.

:leaving:

Good thing you like Corvettes- :hurray:

HeatherO 01-04-2017 8:05pm

Quote:

I was ready to fight a bitch cause she gave me packets of yellow mustard instead of honey mustard dipping sauce for my nuggets. she's lucky I wasn't carrying that day :lol::lol:

tjfontaine 01-04-2017 8:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1529628)
Most people know I'm no fan of social media. On the news this morning, they had a story about two groups of people here in North Texas...one in Dallas and one in Allen (suburb north of Dallas) who got into a fight on Facebook Live. The Dallas group came up to Allen...four people were shot. No one killed that I'm aware of but...REALLY???

Way to go Zuckerberg! Give a voice to people who previously didn't have one. :spdchk:

You are no fan of social media - yet you have over 8000 posts on here??? WTF do you think this place is??

Iron Chef 01-04-2017 9:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjfontaine (Post 1529822)
You are no fan of social media - yet you have over 8000 posts on here??? WTF do you think this place is??

This place is about as far from Social Media as you can get without being offline. Most people know each other here and have met in person. It's a hangout for a group who have known each other for years. Think I'm wrong? Check out the other sections here for activity and see how many people are online at one time (on average).

Comparing this to mainstream social media is like comparing Golden Corral to Ruth's Chris.

And yeah...I have 8000 posts. Over a period of 8 years. I have exactly TWO posts on my Facebook page in the last year. I don't have an account on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Pinterest or any of those other electronic timewasters. The only reason I keep my Facebook account open is on the remote chance that someone who I'd like to communicate with finds me there (which actually happened just recently with a cousin whom I'd lost contact with).

I never post thoughts, opinions or rants on there and if I want to message someone, it's always via a private message.

So not exactly using a lot of bandwidth on the internet. :spdchk:

Mike Mercury 01-05-2017 8:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1529840)

Comparing this to mainstream social media is like comparing Golden Corral to Ruth's Chris.

:thumbs:

Sneaks 01-05-2017 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherO (Post 1529812)
I was ready to fight a bitch cause she gave me packets of yellow mustard instead of honey mustard dipping sauce for my nuggets. she's lucky I wasn't carrying that day :lol::lol:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mike Mercury 01-05-2017 10:53am

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/up...-your-mind.jpg

johnnyvettes 01-05-2017 11:39am

people are just wound to tight this world is so screwed up , people are ready to commit suicide because Trump is our next president Odumbo is ready to go to war over fake cyber war with Russia so he can call martial law so he can stay in office . hillary is trying everything and anything to steal the election . soros in trying to take over the world and destroy america and odumbo and hillary are his puppets , and you wondering why people are crazy .