The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Ex-Boston Drummer Sib Hashian Dead After Collapsing on Cruise Ship (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107126)

Jeff '79 03-23-2017 7:05pm

Ex-Boston Drummer Sib Hashian Dead After Collapsing on Cruise Ship

:sadangel:

Former Boston drummer Sib Hashian has died, TMZ reports. According to his son, Hashian was performing on stage at the Legends of Rock Cruise when he collapsed and died. He was 67 years old.

Hashian joined Boston in 1975. He played on the band’s 1976 self-titled debut, which includes “More Than a Feeling,” perhaps their best known song. Rolling Stone named Boston the 41st best debut album of all time, praising Hashian’s “climactic drum fills in the final fade-out” on “More Than a Feeling.” He also played on the follow-up (1978’s Don’t Look Back) and began recording on their third LP—1986’s Third Stage—before leaving the band.

In addition to his work with Boston, Hashian played on bandmate Barry Goudreau’s 1980 self-titled record. He also sang backing vocals on Sammy Hagar’s 1979 “Sittin’ On (The Dock of the Bay)” cover.

They were the 1st arena concert that I ever saw in 1978.
Bummer

Rotorhead 03-23-2017 8:06pm

Well, I think he went out in a pretty honorable fashion.

VITE1 03-23-2017 8:37pm

:sadangel:

Wathen1955 03-23-2017 8:54pm

When that LP came out in 1976 at the rip age of 21, I played the shit out of it. One of the best debut albums of all time.

snide 03-23-2017 8:57pm

Heard that on the radio this morning. Sad news. :sadangel:

OddBall 03-23-2017 10:16pm

:sadangel: :sadangel: :sadangel:

Jeff '79 03-24-2017 6:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1548593)
When that LP came out in 1976 at the rip age of 21, I played the shit out of it. One of the best debut albums of all time.

That album and concert is probably why I'm 1/2 deaf right now. :Jeff '79:
Those Panasonic EAB-940 speakers in my '75 Nova kicked azz.:fastguy:

Wathen1955 03-24-2017 11:49am

Yeah I saw Boston twice in 1976 and 1977 in San Diego. What I found interesting is the music they played sounded almost the same as the LP, except for the shitty acoustics in the San Diego sports arena.

NCC-1701 03-24-2017 12:00pm

Saw them with the old singer as well as the new and they did sound a lot like from their LP's they did not deviate much although I like the group a lot I found their concerts boring.

BADRACR1 03-24-2017 8:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1548593)

I still have a promo copy. Stamped on the front and rear "Disc jockey sample only" in the lower corner.
Always one of my favorite groups.:sadangel:

MrPeabody 03-24-2017 9:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1548679)
Yeah I saw Boston twice in 1976 and 1977 in San Diego. What I found interesting is the music they played sounded almost the same as the LP, except for the shitty acoustics in the San Diego sports arena.

I had a similar experience. I saw them right after the album came out and note for note it was just like listening to the album turned up loud. The songs on the first album was the whole show. Played in the same order as on the album. When the crowd demanded an encore, they came out and replayed one of the songs.

A good show, but kind of strange.

Wathen1955 03-24-2017 9:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1548772)
I had a similar experience. I saw them right after the album came out and note for note it was just like listening to the album turned up loud. The songs on the first album was the whole show. Played in the same order as on the album. When the crowd demanded an encore, they came out and replayed one of the songs.

Yeah it wasn't like watching Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer which were shows.

C5SilverBullet 03-25-2017 9:57am

Quote:

Lots of Google results saying people believe they didn't actually play in their concerts.

Jeff '79 03-25-2017 12:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1548775)
Yeah it wasn't like watching Pink Floyd or Emerson Lake and Palmer which were shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 1548821)
Lots of Google results saying people believe they didn't actually play in their concerts.

Enter the age of modeling amplifiers.
Boston sounded the way they did in concert because of the Inventions of lead guitarist Tom Sholtz. He was an innovator in sound modeling. As a MIT engineering grad, he really was a pioneer in what eventually came out in the '80's.
Tom Scholz - Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers — Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers | PBS
The concert that we saw in the late '70's was them playing. The sounds, however, went through his unique inventions, one, The Rockman, giving them that signature sound that Boston had.
It's an amazing story actually. He also invented the technology behind the SX-70 Poloroid camera.
Boston fans: What member invented what? - Straight Dope Message Board
Attachment 11078
He’s pictured here with his trademark ’68 stripped goldtop Les Paul equipped with some kind of Rockman invention.

Jeff '79 03-25-2017 1:57pm

A great tune right here..... :yesnod:

Brad Dolph, the singer, passed a while back too.

MrPeabody 03-25-2017 2:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1548832)
Enter the age of modeling amplifiers.
Boston sounded the way they did in concert because of the Inventions of lead guitarist Tom Sholtz. He was an innovator in sound modeling. As a MIT engineering grad, he really was a pioneer in what eventually came out in the '80's.
Tom Scholz - Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers — Secret Life of Scientists and Engineers | PBS
The concert that we saw in the late '70's was them playing. The sounds, however, went through his unique inventions, one, The Rockman, giving them that signature sound that Boston had.
It's an amazing story actually. He also invented the technology behind the SX-70 Poloroid camera.
Boston fans: What member invented what? - Straight Dope Message Board
Attachment 11078
He’s pictured here with his trademark ’68 stripped goldtop Les Paul equipped with some kind of Rockman invention.

Oh, I believe they were playing. They were that good. I just like to hear a little improvisation at a live show. And I have long been aware of Tom Scholtz' genius. I've owned a Rockman since 1986.:yesnod:

Jeff '79 03-25-2017 2:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1548843)
Oh, I believe they were playing. They were that good. I just like to hear a little improvisation at a live show. And I have long been aware of Tom Scholtz' genius. I've owned a Rockman since 1986.:yesnod:

:cool1:

Ya, I thought that it was common knowledge.

BADRACR1 03-27-2017 9:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1548842)

Brad Dolph, the singer, passed a while back too.

That would be "Delp". 3/6/2007. Suicide.