The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   So The Stock Market Is A Touch Frothy These Days (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124193)

Jeff '79 11-27-2020 8:11pm

I'm 57.
I get my pension at 62.
I can start withdrawing from my 401k at 59 1/2
We get SS at 67?

markids77 11-27-2020 8:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1827375)
I'm 57.
I get my pension at 62.
I can start withdrawing from my 401k at 59 1/2
We get SS at 67?

Full SS at 67, you can draw a smaller check starting at 62.

dvarapala 11-27-2020 8:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cool 50th AE (Post 1827368)
I have absolutely no idea what I知 doing financially.

The pictures you post prove you're FOS. ;)

Mick 11-27-2020 8:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1827331)
Is anyone bailing ?

As of today's close, I'm 90% cash - 10% risky funds in my 401k, which is up 25% ytd, as of this morning.
I suspect it'll be up ~26% at tonight's settlement.
I'll take it !
I sold all of my stocks except for JFrog, which I will sell on Monday for $72.00 hopefully.
Then I'll wait for a little correction.
The Fed and monetary policy is allowing for stretched valuations, ergo records for the S&P and NASDAQ today.
How long can it last ?
The brokerages have to book their profits for the year soon, the unemployment numbers are going up again, and that nuke scientist was whacked in Iran today, so I'm packing it in for a bit.
What are you thinking kids ?:waiting:

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/video/...154200122.html

Laugh all you want about the news source, but Muhammed El-Erain is one smart cookie.

I read this kind of shit constantly, and can't help asking myself: "What the **** are these morons invested in, and who the **** told them to invest this way?"

As of the close today, my 401K is up 35.5% this year, and I have literally not made a single trade in it ALL YEAR. I read all the time about folks saying "COVID killed my 401K" and shit like that, and I can't fathom WTF these folks are doing with their retirement savings! Your 401K is supposed to be your "nest egg", that will prevent you from needing to eat cat food when you stop working. Why the **** would you invest it in "risky funds"?

For the record: the above are basically rhetorical questions.

Dan Dlabay 11-27-2020 9:17pm

I have been retired over 2 years and have yet to get into my retirement fund. The stock market goes up and down. so just see what happens.:cert:

DAB 11-27-2020 10:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1827377)
Full SS at 67, you can draw a smaller check starting at 62.

I知 taking my SS at 62. My break even age is about 81. For all three options.

I値l take uncle sams money and leave my money alone.

Jeff '79 11-28-2020 8:22am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1827388)
I read this kind of shit constantly, and can't help asking myself: "What the **** are these morons invested in, and who the **** told them to invest this way?"

As of the close today, my 401K is up 35.5% this year, and I have literally not made a single trade in it ALL YEAR. I read all the time about folks saying "COVID killed my 401K" and shit like that, and I can't fathom WTF these folks are doing with their retirement savings! Your 401K is supposed to be your "nest egg", that will prevent you from needing to eat cat food when you stop working. Why the **** would you invest it in "risky funds"?

For the record: the above are basically rhetorical questions.

I just call the option that I chose in my 401k, "risky". It is not necessarily risky per se'. I don't actually think that there is a truly risky option in a Principle 401k suite, just poor choices.
Mick, a while back, you mentioned in another thread something about your investing prowess. I'd be very interested to hear what it is that you are into to earn 35% ytd.
For the record, I would have been up 51% ytd in the Vanguard fund that I'm in, if I would have left the money alone and was not spooked out.
Timing the market lost me 25% , but at my age, I figure that I'm better safe than sorry.

Price - YTD - Last Complete Mo. - Last 3 mo. -1yr. - 3yr. - 5yr. - 10yr. - Since inception
Attachment 49548

Jeff '79 11-28-2020 8:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1827419)
I知 taking my SS at 62. My break even age is about 81. For all three options.

I値l take uncle sams money and leave my money alone.

me too:seasix:

Mick 11-28-2020 11:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1827443)
I just call the option that I chose in my 401k, "risky". It is not necessarily risky per se'. I don't actually think that there is a truly risky option in a Principle 401k suite, just poor choices.
Mick, a while back, you mentioned in another thread something about your investing prowess. I'd be very interested to hear what it is that you are into to earn 35% ytd.
For the record, I would have been up 51% ytd in the Vanguard fund that I'm in, if I would have left the money alone and was not spooked out.
Timing the market lost me 25% , but at my age, I figure that I'm better safe than sorry.

Price - YTD - Last Complete Mo. - Last 3 mo. -1yr. - 3yr. - 5yr. - 10yr. - Since inception
Attachment 49548

My main "prowess" is buying sensible shit, and leaving it the hell alone. Especially in my tax deferred accounts. My main tax deferred account was in a 401K but got transferred to an IRA when I lost my job. It is currently invested in SPY and AAPL. I have not done a trade in the account in literally years.

I have a small chunk of money in my taxable account, and my wife and I do our options trading in that account to generate cash. I have done write-ups of the two main strategies we use, namely selling covered calls and selling cash-covered puts. If people are interested, I can post them again.

Steve_R 11-28-2020 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1827480)
My main "prowess" is buying sensible shit, and leaving it the hell alone. Especially in my tax deferred accounts. My main tax deferred account was in a 401K but got transferred to an IRA when I lost my job. It is currently invested in SPY and AAPL. I have not done a trade in the account in literally years.

I have a small chunk of money in my taxable account, and my wife and I do our options trading in that account to generate cash. I have done write-ups of the two main strategies we use, namely selling covered calls and selling cash-covered puts. If people are interested, I can post them again.

I壇 be interested to see it. I知 sure as Hell not taking any investment advice from Jeff. :rofl:

Raazor 11-28-2020 12:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1827490)
I壇 be interested to see it. I知 sure as Hell not taking any investment advice from Jeff. :rofl:

Please don't! If you listened to his wisdom 9 years ago you'd be ****ed.

Best to not take advice regarding your money from people on an intrawebz forum. Talk to a "guy". :rofl:

1.5 billion Earthlings will enter the middle class over the next 10 years spending money they should save and that will drive the Global Economy upward.

Regardless, nobody is dumb enough to have everything in public equities and those dividends sure are nice so just leave it unless you're needing that money in 5 years :yesnod:

Jeff '79 11-28-2020 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1827480)

I missed your write up but would like to see it.
I have tried to understand options but it appears that I'm not wired for it, so if you could post the dummy version, that'd be great. :cert:

Raazor 11-28-2020 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1827391)
I have been retired over 2 years and have yet to get into my retirement fund. The stock market goes up and down. so just see what happens.:cert:

My folks are 80 and they just took a bunch out and put it in their safe bucket. At that age, it's an excellent idea.

Everyone's situation is different depending on so many factors it's really stupid for people to discuss it online as nobody is talking Apples to Apples.

Jeff '79 11-28-2020 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1827493)
Please don't! If you listened to his wisdom 9 years ago you'd be ****ed.

Best to not take advice regarding your money from people on an intrawebz forum. Talk to a "guy". :rofl:

1.5 billion Earthlings will enter the middle class over the next 10 years spending money they should save and that will drive the Global Economy upward.

Regardless, nobody is dumb enough to have everything in public equities and those dividends sure are nice so just leave it unless you're needing that money in 5 years :yesnod:

Totally not true. You just would have made less than you would have that year.
Just because I was cautious and like to sleep at night, not making the 6% that I would have otherwise made, was ok in my world. Well not really, it sucked, but I digress.:D
I have called bottoms and tops many times and was really close, so it works in my world. I've made 30% in years and 5% in years. My 5 year average as of today is 13%. Works for me.
Timing the market is not easy. Like I said, I would have been up 51% instead of 26% if I would have just let it alone this year, so far.. I'm not perfect, as no one is.
I don't give investment advice to anyone, so take what I say with a grain of salt if you want. No skin off my teeth.
Like DAB said...
Bulls Make money
Bears Make Money
Pigs get slaughtered.

Truer words have never been spoken. I like to sleep at night.
I do better than any investment advisor would with my money.

Jeff '79 11-28-2020 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1827497)
My folks are 80 and they just took a bunch out and put it in their safe bucket. At that age, it's an excellent idea.

Everyone's situation is different depending on so many factors it's really stupid for people to discuss it online as nobody is talking Apples to Apples.

Everyones situation is different. Yes, That is huge.
As I said earlier, I'm 57 , retired from a job with a full pension and do not want to work anymore.
Kinda like DAB.
I'm sure that we all understand that nothing is apples to apples, so why is is stupid to discuss?
Maybe we can learn something.
If I wasn't so pig headed, I would have learned a long tome ago to set it, and forget it. But noooo... I like to think that I'm better than that. Well sometimes I am, and sometimes I'm not. No biggie. I enjoy it. Enjoyment sometimes costs money and If I can profit from enjoyment, all the better.

Aerovette 11-28-2020 1:02pm

https://i.imgflip.com/4o5zwa.jpg

dvarapala 11-28-2020 1:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1827519)

* win

DAB 11-28-2020 1:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raazor (Post 1827497)

true to a certain extent.

but what i do know is that it is very hard to spend money you don't have.

if you want to work until you drop dead, go for it. if you want to have options down the road, there are ways to give yourself some flexibility later on.

:DAB:

Jeff '79 11-28-2020 1:24pm

Quote:

The economy is not the stock market.

Raazor 11-28-2020 1:30pm

Quote:

"with the senate" I don't get it :shrug: