The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member/User Comments & Suggestions (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Why? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71820)

HellCat 10-08-2014 10:09am

Why?

On almost all forums, when you click on a thread title, it changes color so that the next time you look at the forum you can tell which threads you have seen already. Why doesn't the Vette Barn have this feature? :confused5:

Y2Kvert4me 10-08-2014 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellCat (Post 1252566)
On almost all forums, when you click on a thread title, it changes color so that the next time you look at the forum you can tell which threads you have seen already. Why doesn't the Vette Barn have this feature? :confused5:

As is standard behavior with VBulletin, the thread title font changes from bold to standard weight upon being read, making visited threads quite easy to discern.
New (unread) thread titles also have the addition of a blue arrow icon to the left of the title text, which is a link used to navigate directly to new/unread post(s).

When new (unread) posts update a previously-read thread, the title reverts back to bold, and the "go to first unread" icon reappears, indicating there is new content in the thread.

You can see this in the example screenshot below, and with those two changes, I find it quite obvious as to what's been read, and what hasn't.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/tom/readstatus.jpg

I just checked 12 different forums, and not a single one changes font color with read status, so although that is easily possible, I can't agree with your "almost all" claim. Can you link to one to show as an example?

:cert:

HellCat 10-08-2014 4:33pm

So both the title reverts back to bold and also the blue arrow appears when there has been a new post to an existing thread. Why is VB the only one of about 5 forums I'm on that does both? Others do not re bold the title>:cry::cry:

Y2Kvert4me 10-08-2014 4:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellCat (Post 1252760)
So both the title reverts back to bold and also the blue arrow appears when there has been a new post to an existing thread. Why is VB the only one of about 5 forums I'm on that does both? Others do not re bold the title>:cry::cry:

So you don't want visual aids to inform you there are new, unread posts? :skia:

I don't understand what you want...So again, show me an example of what you find to be desirable.

HellCat 10-09-2014 11:37am

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry for the website used but this is what I am talking about.

Y2Kvert4me 10-09-2014 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by HellCat (Post 1253215)
Sorry for the website used but this is what I am talking about.

It appears CF font color changes slightly, from #333333 to #888888, so title remains lighter even after there are new (unread) posts in a previously read thread. Not sure I like that, but a subtle change may not be quite so noticeable.

This is very easy to change, so let me experiment and find a slightly different shade that works.

Y2Kvert4me 10-09-2014 12:40pm

How would this work? The difference is subtle, but noticeable.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/tom/colorchangereadst.jpg

The main thing I don't like about it, is it affects all links on the forum, not just thread titles. (usernames, forum and breadcrumb links, etc)

Y2Kvert4me 10-10-2014 1:10pm

Also interesting to note (as I've been playing with different link colors on a test skin)...If you use the "go to 1st unread" and/or "go to last post" shortcut icons to navigate (like I mostly do), the thread title color will not change, even though you're viewing the thread. You have to click the actual text link in order for that link color to change. Works the same at CF.

So for example, say you have a dark font for unread, and a light font for read (like CF, or in the pic above)...You can have a thread you've just read still with a dark title, and a previously viewed thread (updated with new posts) with the light colored font...Exactly opposite the normal/desired behavior, and makes the color distinction pretty much useless.

I've been using this skin with different font colors for a full day now, and I find it more distracting than convenient. Once you see a whole page populated with titles and links, seeing half in one color, and half in another color....Well, it looks like crap. And since there is no actual correlation to what's been read, quite pointless.

HellCat 10-10-2014 1:54pm

Guess my suggestion is not as easy as it sounds but this is the only forum that I'm on that does it your way. All others do it like the attachment I sent you. No problem. Thanks for your attention.

Y2Kvert4me 10-10-2014 2:08pm

Here, just for you....

Go to the bottom left of most any forum page...You'll see a dropdown menu that currently says "Default Style". Open that, and select the Default2 style. It will look just like the default skin, but with the link color behavior you desire.

If anyone else wants to try it and finds it to be an improvement, please let me know.

:cheers:

HellCat 10-12-2014 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me (Post 1253868)
Here, just for you....

Go to the bottom left of most any forum page...You'll see a dropdown menu that currently says "Default Style". Open that, and select the Default2 style. It will look just like the default skin, but with the link color behavior you desire.

If anyone else wants to try it and finds it to be an improvement, please let me know.

:cheers:

Thanks.

73sbVert 10-12-2014 11:44am

I'm happy with it the way it is.

:D

Aerovette 10-12-2014 12:47pm

I typically use two options.