The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Let's Talk about Solar Screens! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119489)

Bill 06-02-2019 10:59am

Let's Talk about Solar Screens!

Well, my next door neighbor cut down three trees that gave my house AND my ac units a lot of shade. The house is noticeably warmer now in the afternoon without that shade, and after my a/c scare, I want to do something to mitigate this.

Who has solar screens, and how effective are they? What happens in the Winter? Does my heater have to work harder since I'm not getting the radiant heat through the windows anymore?

I've got a guy coming tomorrow to give a quote, who assures me the solar screen will act as sort of a radiant barrier in the Winter and help keep the heat in the house. That seems a little optimistic.

Thoughts?

Stangkiller 06-02-2019 11:24am

My neighbor has them and swears by them. I’d have them if my wife didn’t declare that they’re “ugly”. My house faces due west at the end of a street so I get a lot of hot afternoon sun.

Do you have electric heat or something? My gas heaters barely run to keep the house warm in the winter, plus the electric bills in the winter are a third of what they are in the summer. If you can make significant gains in the summer anything lost in the winter should be negligible.

Bill 06-02-2019 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1672287)
My neighbor has them and swears by them. I’d have them if my wife didn’t declare that they’re “ugly”. My house faces due west at the end of a street so I get a lot of hot afternoon sun.

Do you have electric heat or something? My gas heaters barely run to keep the house warm in the winter, plus the electric bills in the winter are a third of what they are in the summer. If you can make significant gains in the summer anything lost in the winter should be negligible.

I have gas heat, and my gas bill in the coldest winter is maybe $ 80-100 or so, maybe a little higher if we have an Arctic blast. Having moderately higher heating bills in the Winter isn't a deal breaker, I just wanted some independent opinions. The guy coming out tomorrow swears his bills in the Summer AND Winter went down after putting on the screens. Seems optimistic.

I've always thought they were kinda ugly, too, but I see lots of people in my neighborhood have them.

Strats-N-Vettes 06-02-2019 11:59am

I have solar screens.
I have several double/side-by-side windows.
As the guy was installing then, I could easily feel the heat difference between windows with new screens and windows without.
Installed in the late 90's.

On the south, east, and west side of my house gets blistering south Louisiana sun.
I've re-used the frames he made, and installed new material and rubber screen splines.
20 or so years sun bleached them.

If you are a DIY guy, all the supplies to make the screens yourself are on Amazon...that includes frame making material.

It isn't rocket science.
Your a/c and electric bill will notice the difference.

snide 06-02-2019 2:46pm

You guys have winter? :funnier::funnier::funnier:

VITE1 06-02-2019 3:13pm

Also look into the 3m window tint/impact covering. It helps with both the sun and make your glass more impact resistant.

Strats-N-Vettes 06-02-2019 3:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1672307)
You guys have winter? :funnier::funnier::funnier:

One time it dropped into the low 30's, stocked up on bread and milk.
I'm a survivor. :yesnod:

Stangkiller 06-02-2019 3:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1672316)
One time it dropped into the low 30's, stocked up on bread and milk.
I'm a survivor. :yesnod:

The ice days off from work are incredible down here....so many frozen overpasses and too many overconfident undertrained drivers in large 2wd trucks...makes for really entertaining tv. :rofl:

Bill 06-02-2019 7:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1672315)
Also look into the 3m window tint/impact covering. It helps with both the sun and make your glass more impact resistant.

I thought about window tint first, but it's going to be very labor intensive, since my windows are all multi panes in a grid frame, meaning I'd have to cut out a bunch of small rectangle pieces and put them on one at a time just to shade one window.

3M tint in particular doesn't seem to be sold over the counter anyway, you'd have to find a commercial installer to put it up. I'm guessing that's going to be a lot more than I want to spend. I just want to do something to make up for the loss of the shade trees.

It's funny, the neighbor who cut the trees down has already had one of his units fail, needing a new fan, and I had a capacitor fail, all within a week of the trees being removed. I'm convinced that shading the units from the direct sun is the best way to keep them from dying.

VITE1 06-02-2019 7:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1672341)
I thought about window tint first, but it's going to be very labor intensive, since my windows are all multi panes in a grid frame, meaning I'd have to cut out a bunch of small rectangle pieces and put them on one at a time just to shade one window.

3M tint in particular doesn't seem to be sold over the counter anyway, you'd have to find a commercial installer to put it up. I'm guessing that's going to be a lot more than I want to spend. I just want to do something to make up for the loss of the shade trees.

It's funny, the neighbor who cut the trees down has already had one of his units fail, needing a new fan, and I had a capacitor fail, all within a week of the trees being removed. I'm convinced that shading the units from the direct sun is the best way to keep them from dying.

I asked that question to one of my golf buddies who sells the stuff. The product shrink wraps over most of the separate dividers.

I plan on having him come over for a quote next week.

Bill 06-02-2019 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1672343)
I asked that question to one of my golf buddies who sells the stuff. The product shrink wraps over most of the separate dividers.

I plan on having him come over for a quote next week.

I'm curious what that will cost, on a per window basis. You can post up some numbers here, or PM me if you want.

Thanks!

:bill_daniels:

Strats-N-Vettes 06-02-2019 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1672341)
I'm convinced that shading the units from the direct sun is the best way to keep them from dying.

It helps in our areas (Gulf region). :yesnod:

Bill 06-02-2019 7:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1672346)
It helps in our areas (Gulf region). :yesnod:

I'm thinking about planting a fast growing shrub to try and at least give some afternoon shade for my units.

JRD77VET 06-02-2019 7:46pm

We do "black out" shades here at our house. That really makes a difference in keeping things a LOT cooler.

JRD77VET 06-02-2019 7:47pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1672317)
The ice days off from work are incredible down here....so many frozen overpasses and too many overconfident undertrained drivers in large 2wd trucks...makes for really entertaining tv. :rofl:

:D

Strats-N-Vettes 06-02-2019 8:04pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1672347)
I'm thinking about planting a fast growing shrub to try and at least give some afternoon shade for my units.

I had my units put on the north side for all day shade, and kept the evap coils out of the attic.

We built some similar to this for my dads units, his neighbor did the same but made them shaped like wishing wells (internet photo):

Cybercowboy 06-02-2019 8:45pm

I just put my A/C unit on the north side of the house. And use shades on the south side. That's pretty much my entire strat.

C5SilverBullet 06-03-2019 8:56am

Very good friend of mine owns a company that makes them. He's making some for my house, so I'll let you know

Bill 06-03-2019 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 1672403)
Very good friend of mine owns a company that makes them. He's making some for my house, so I'll let you know

Sigh. That info would have been more useful BEFORE I put a deposit early this morning on screens for the back and side of the house that face the afternoon Sun.

16 screens (two separate screens for the window with an arch at the top) for $ 840

Bill 06-13-2019 3:08pm

Update:

Solar screens installed on back and one side of the house, and what a difference. The heat is virtually gone, and the blazing afternoon sun isn't blinding anymore. With the blinds shut, there's virtually no glare on the TV, either. We'll see what effect it has on the electric bill, but it's got to help just a little bit.