The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   It's not a complete sink faucet upgrade until blood is drawn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124585)

JRD77VET 01-10-2021 8:13pm

It's not a complete sink faucet upgrade until blood is drawn

1 Attachment(s)
So the Moen kitchen sink faucet was staying to drool and had some minor corrosion at the bottom of the handle. My wife picked out a two Handled faucet for the replacement.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/d56...2&odnBg=ffffff

I borrow the sink wrench and tubing cutter from a coworker. Before I start I make sure the shut off valves work, they do :hurray:

The old sink faucet comes out without much problem. Clean under the old one and all that is left is to remove the holder for the old spray handle. Squeeze back under the sink and reach up to loosen and proceed to smack my head on the garbage disposal ( which we don't ever use since we have a septic system )

Reach up, think I'm fine and then I feel "warmth". SOB :cuss:

My wife helps clean the cut and I finish the job. Works great

This will turn into a nice scar once the remaining hair vacates. :sad:

markids77 01-10-2021 8:17pm

Hey, your scalp is wavy. ;) Skin does get thinner as we age, and head wounds bleed.
Glad you were able to finish without time on the disabled list!

JRD77VET 01-10-2021 8:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1843278)
Hey, your scalp is wavy. ;) Skin does get thinner as we age, and head wounds bleed.
Glad you were able to finish without time on the disabled list!

I was just happy it didn't hurt. I guess a hat is required for any other sink repairs. :lol:

Rodnok1 01-10-2021 8:25pm

Damn nice wack right there.

RMVette 01-10-2021 8:29pm

Ouch!

JRD77VET 01-10-2021 8:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1843281)

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1843285)
Ouch!

Came off the list of "Fun Things to Do" :D

Bill 01-10-2021 8:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1843281)

That's @lspencer534 level injury right there! Do you suddenly feel the urge to post cat pictures and talk about the Farmer's Almanac now?

:ohnoes:

DAB 01-10-2021 8:53pm

Lamont...

Stangkiller 01-11-2021 12:08am

Ouch!

mrvette 01-11-2021 5:01am

Don't forget to remember to not do that again.......

and your new faucet is the same as we have had for some 19 years now.....

:dance::seasix:

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-11-2021 7:51am

That job sucks ASS. I had new Cambria countertops installed here which included a new undermount sink. Naturally you'd never reinstall the old sink fixture so a new one was in order.

The supply piping was fairly straight forward but the drains were an epic PITA. The new sink is significantly lower than the previous. It's a double bowl with staggered depth.

I tied the two drains together and by the time the trap was installed it wouldn't tie into the drain pipe riser because it was fit for the previous sink bowl which were a lot higher. Yay. I ended up having to cut the sheetrock behind the sink, chop the riser off, put a coupling in downstairs and tie everything back together.

No new sinks. :rofl:

And when did a simple faucet get so fukin' expensive?

6spdC6 01-11-2021 8:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1843280)
I was just happy it didn't hurt. I guess a hat is required for any other sink repairs. :lol:

Dam man, retired pipefitter/welder here.

I always used to say "unless you got injured a bit or burned every now and then, the boss did not think you were working hard enough"---:D

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-11-2021 8:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1843449)
Dam man, retired pipefitter/welder here.

I always used to say "unless you got injured a bit or burned every now and then, the boss did not think you were working hard enough"---:D

Burned. :rofl:

Ear wax sizzles for a LONG time. :rofl:

Strats-N-Vettes 01-11-2021 8:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1843450)
Burned. :rofl:

Ear wax sizzles for a LONG time. :rofl:

Slag rolls off your helmet, into your shirt, down your belly, and nestles between the skin and where your shirt is tucked in, and will just smolder until it's BBQ time.

Not that I've ever had that happen. :mirror:

Mike Mercury 01-11-2021 8:23am

wear your scar as a badge of honor !

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H64l5BsFokM/hqdefault.jpg

Rodnok1 01-11-2021 8:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1843453)
Slag rolls off your helmet, into your shirt, down your belly, and nestles between the skin and where your shirt is tucked in, and will just smolder until it's BBQ time.

It's better when rolls off your jacket into jeans pocket that may have had a hole in it continues down the leg and sticks to your sock. I was burning some lead out of a pipe fitting so it cooled just enough to stick at sock level yet try to burn it's way to the bone.

I'd afraid that disposal would have to go after that incident, especially since it's not used.

Strats-N-Vettes 01-11-2021 8:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1843456)
wear your scar as a badge of honor !

Went out and bought a shoulder cape immediately...:yesnod:

https://activerain-store.s3.amazonaw...les/Badges.gif

Strats-N-Vettes 01-11-2021 8:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1843457)
It's better when rolls off your jacket into jeans pocket that may have had a hole in it continues down the leg and sticks to your sock. I was burning some lead out of a pipe fitting so it cooled just enough to stick at sock level yet try to burn it's way to the bone.

I'd afraid that disposal would have to go after that incident, especially since it's not used.

I burned a lot of clothes and boot soles before I could laugh at the demise of others...:funnier:

Giraffe (He/Him) 01-11-2021 8:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes (Post 1843453)

Stainless Steel stick rod is the WORST. As the weld cooled the slag would fly off and always land on any exposed skin. Including your face.

Stainless stick welding is quickly falling out of favor these days due to the Hex-Chrome issues. I'm sure plenty of it is still happening here and there but in industrial applications it's frowned upon unless you have good ventilation. Maybe in a fab shop environment where you can pull a trunk up to the weld but in the field that's pretty had to do even with smoke eaters. Besides. Most guys would rather TIG anyway.

Strats-N-Vettes 01-11-2021 8:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas (Post 1843461)
Stainless Steel stick rod is the WORST. As the weld cooled the slag would fly off and always land on any exposed skin. Including your face.

Stainless stick welding is quickly falling out of favor these days due to the Hex-Chrome issues. I'm sure plenty of it is still happening here and there but in industrial applications it's frowned upon unless you have good ventilation. Maybe in a fab shop environment where you can pull a trunk up to the weld but in the field that's pretty had to do even with smoke eaters. Besides. Most guys would rather TIG anyway.

I always wanted to get into the fab shop, but was stuck outside in the heat, cutting and welding casing, spiders, elevators, racks, flooring, etc.. (oilfield).

Ever been so good at your job they don't advance you? :Jeff '79: