The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bad Luck to Have a Woman Leading a Ship: Female Navy Ship Captain Fired (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136170)

Bill 02-02-2024 11:14pm

Bad Luck to Have a Woman Leading a Ship: Female Navy Ship Captain Fired

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/y...lture-of-fear/

Quote:

Report: Fired USS Lake Erie captain instilled a ‘culture of fear’
By Sarah Sicard
Feb 1, 04:00 AM

The commanding officer of the cruiser Lake Erie fostered a hostile environment on the ship by tormenting crew members before she was relieved of duty in October, according to a Navy investigation obtained by Navy Times.

Capt. Danielle DeFant — who commanded the ship for roughly 14 months — was ousted following an investigation that began after three unnamed subordinates aired grievances about “toxic command climate and/or sexual discrimination.”

A Freedom of Information Act request filed by KPBS in San Diego first revealed details of the Navy’s investigation.

The probe reveals instances where DeFant screamed at and berated subordinates — particularly the officers — creating a “toxic” situation.

“Captain DeFant’s behavior consisting of yelling, profanity, and public admonishments has contributed to a culture of fear onboard,” the investigation states.

In one incident, a conning officer responded to a question from DeFant that was meant for the officer of the deck, causing DeFant to grab him by the collar and reprimand him.

The investigator noted that, in response, DeFant pulled the officer close and whispered something along the lines of, “was I talking to you … You’re not the [OOD] … I was talking to the OOD … don’t ever interrupt me again.”

This excessive use of physical force was classified as battery per Article 128 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice, the investigation states.

One officer also complained of frequent bullying. Though DeFant admonished this officer often, she never put any performance issues into writing or suggested formal counseling to remedy the situation, according to the investigation.

“The excessive nature of Capt. DeFant’s reprimands exceeded a reasonable standard for correcting professional deficiencies or providing constructive feedback to improve performance,” the investigation notes. “In the opinion of the investigating officer, Capt. DeFant’s actions exceeded any proper military purpose and were belittling and humiliating.”

Smaller incidents also included unwarranted aggression from DeFant. It’s noted that she was verbose “even at a conversational level” and often resorted to profanity.

During a briefing with senior officers, DeFant, displeased about one officer’s spreadsheet, took it upon herself to make changes to the document. She then dismissed the other officers and screamed so loudly at the presenter that it carried well beyond the confines of the briefing room.

Investigators also noted that DeFant yelled at a junior officer, who mentioned seeing dolphins from the bridge, for not paying attention on duty.

“There is clear evidence that Captain DeFant’s recurrent, counterproductive behaviors have had adverse effects on subordinates and the command, and have had destructive effects on her crew,” the investigation states.

DeFant originally took command of the Lake Erie in July 2022. Rear Adm. Christopher Alexander, commander of Carrier Strike Group 9, took over her post in the wake of the firing.

She is currently assigned to the staff of Naval Surface Force Pacific.

vettemed 02-03-2024 4:39am

What an attractive specimen...

https://www.surfpac.navy.mil/Leaders...elle-c-defant/

roadpilot 02-03-2024 6:57am

Bad management skills. In the military you have to take it. In
civilian you haul off and slug the idiot.

Frankie the Fink 02-03-2024 7:11am

Basic leadership skills, you praise publicly, and criticize/advise privately.
Gender aside, this person is clearly not leadership material.

slewfoot 02-03-2024 7:44am

In her defense, she lived at Camp Lejune. She should lawyer up with the Law Offices of Dewey, Cheatham & Howe.

Dan47 02-03-2024 8:35am

1 Attachment(s)
“That’s a Man, Baby”

Jughead 02-03-2024 8:52am

Ugly skank.

mrvette 02-03-2024 9:04am

'Her' face looks like a guy to me.......

DJ_Critterus 02-03-2024 9:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2212452)

that's a dude

jw38 02-03-2024 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vettemed (Post 2212452)

That's one ugly, DEI-hired bitch! :bslap:

Unsuspicious 02-03-2024 10:43am

Women trying to be men think they need to be assholes to be respected.

Mike Mercury 02-03-2024 10:50am

Quote:

Capt. Danielle DeFant, the commanding officer of the cruiser Lake Erie fostered a hostile environment on the ship by tormenting crew members before she was relieved of duty ...
is this her ???

https://www.tim-yvonne.com/forum/psycho-woman.jpg

lrobe22 02-03-2024 11:06am

I was not a Navy guy but I would imagine a CO needs to be the most cool and collected person on the boat. My Army experience was similar; usually the XO was the high strung person.

Onebadcad 02-03-2024 11:50am

Even I have to draw the line here,,,

LilRedCorvette 02-03-2024 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink (Post 2212461)
Basic leadership skills, you praise publicly, and criticize/advise privately.
Gender aside, this person is clearly not leadership material.

THIS. :iagree: No need to insult gender or looks. :nonod: :spdchk: Some people should simply not be in charge of anything or anyone. :shrug:

WydGlydJim 02-03-2024 12:53pm

I will say she put in her dues at least....took dang near 30 years to get command........but like always with these DEI hires, she was bounced around all over the place, with one goal in mind.....personal advancement......I did notice, she assumed command shortly after this assignment.......go figure....bet she learned a thing or two about how to get there.

"Danielle completed a tour as the Navy’s Officer Promotion and Policy Planner in OPNAV N1."

our military has become a watered down woke experiment, that has completely lost its mission of being the absolute best fighting force it can be.
:halfmast:

Bill 02-03-2024 1:22pm

I just want to say that I support mUh GiRl PoWeR.

Give Danielle a PT boat with an all girl crew, have them patrol the Rio Grande, then tell them all that all those military fighting aged males wading across the river said they looked fat in those dresses.

DAB 02-03-2024 2:02pm

and no one caught a hint of her "personality" before they kicked her upstairs one more notch (which no doubt got the kicker upper some career points too)?

calm, level headed, kind, patient, understanding......

Torqaholic 02-03-2024 2:10pm

Quote:

Bad Luck to Have a Woman Leading a Ship
The saying goes "it's bad luck to have a woman onboard".

Could be scrubbing toilets for all it matters.

Unsuspicious 02-03-2024 2:30pm

Not a single seamen joke so far, I'm impressed