The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Illinois to lay off thousands of State workers. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21535)

R.Zaragoza 09-06-2011 1:52pm

Illinois to lay off thousands of State workers.

A decision made by Gov. Pat Quinn may leave thousands of state workers without a job by the end of the week.

The cuts are coming in the face of a budget deficit that doesn't leave enough money to pay the workers, the governor says. Quinn also plans to close a prison, juvenile detention center and homes for the mentally ill.

If no cuts are made, several agencies will run out of money by spring, Quinn says.

The state's largest government employee union, AFSCME, promises to sue if the layoffs are made, much like they did over blocked pay raises.

And just like the pay raise situation, Quinn says these layoffs aren't his fault.

The governor insists lawmakers didn't leave him enough money to keep the state operating for a whole year. Quinn has asked for $2.2 billion more and already has made partial vetoes to the Legislature's budget.

In July, Quinn responded to a growing labor impasse by saying the General Assembly didn't appropriate any extra money for raises and that his hands were tied.

"The law says that subject to appropriations, these raises would be given," Quinn said. "But the General Assembly did not appropriate the money, the millions of dollars to pay the raises."

When asked Tuesday to confirm the cuts mean thousands of jobs, Quinn said, "We have to do what we have to do."

At same time Quinn maintains, "our number one priority is jobs."

Source: Quinn to Lay off Thousands | NBC Chicago

mrvette 09-06-2011 4:19pm

SO, that is good, depending on WHO they laid off......

but how many welfare dopers they lay off????

:waiting:

bearstrail 09-08-2011 10:32am

What I find more interesting is the little poll they have posted next to the article in the OP. Of the respondents:

75% are thrilled
11% are furious
7% are sad
etc.

If that 75% would get off their asses and fight the political machine, Illinois could be a really viable place to live and work again.

wicked_c6 09-12-2011 1:20pm

why not just raise taxes to cover the difference. That always works. :)

RetiredSFC 97 09-12-2011 2:03pm

Wow, who could have guessed this would happen in Illinois!

Sea Six 09-12-2011 8:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wicked_c6 (Post 421922)
why not just raise taxes to cover the difference. That always works. :)

Nah. Just tax the rich. There's more than enough money there to cover ANY amount of entitlement spending.

Scissors 09-13-2011 6:39am

Good.

Flatbush Harry 09-13-2011 2:25pm

Note that somewhat more than 2% of the current unemployment rate is driven by public employee lay-offs in the 26 states with a Pub majority in the legislature or with a Pub Governor.

Herman Cain was spot on last night when he answered the challenge given him that he didn't understand how government worked, and he replied, "It Doesn't!".

Unfortunately, we have to lay off lots of folks (that's what Greece is not doing!). The consequence is everything that anyone in the private sector has experienced when laid off. The problem comes with the finger-pointing by pols of both sides, blaming anyone else but their party.

Harry, sadly

NB2K 09-14-2011 2:09pm

Cutting state workers is the "third rail" of local politics.

We have too many civil servants at the state level and the pensions are far too generous.

VITE1 09-14-2011 7:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NB2K (Post 424082)
Cutting state workers is the "third rail" of local politics.

We have too many civil servants at the state level and the pensions are far too generous.

Raising taxes as peoples income is shrinking so Teachers who do not teach, Administrators who do nothing and public employees who do next to nothing can keep getting raises is the new thrid rail.

PortDawg 09-14-2011 8:20pm

My brother is an Illinois state worker...He is building a new house ...

Hope he makes it....

Peter Pan 09-15-2011 9:37am

I am taxed enough already and time for the govt sector to be looked at for cuts, like the private sector has experienced in the last few years. I know my small business is still hurting and even if I was to get a 4k tax break I will not hire.