The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Is there a difference in quality with frozen shrimp? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14466)

GEODON 05-20-2011 3:06am

Is there a difference in quality with frozen shrimp?

When you go and buy frozen shrimp and it has Extra Large for $6. But there is another brand selling for $15. Can you really taste the difference in shrimp? Are there different types of shrimp? What makes one more expensive than the other? Or is it all bullshit?

Blademaker 05-20-2011 5:56am

Depends on where it came from

VetteBoy1979 05-20-2011 6:09am

I prefer wild caught gulf shrimp, versus "Farm raised in Thailand, Vietnam, China, or anywhere else". Wild caught from North or South American are usually more.

MEANZ06 05-20-2011 6:48am

depends on what street corner. and yeah, theres a difference in the taste... :leaving:

onedef92 05-20-2011 6:49am

Generally speaking, the further you get inland, the crappier the taste.

vetteman9368 05-20-2011 7:26am

who would ever buy frozen seafood?

aside from red lobster

LATB 05-20-2011 7:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteman9368 (Post 281824)
aside from red lobster

damn Yankee's

NEVRL8T 05-20-2011 7:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by vetteman9368 (Post 281824)

People that live in Arkansas. I wonder that also though. Especially since we are so close to the ocean. :D

Kerrmudgeon 05-20-2011 7:35am

Shrimp are either wild or salt water, or farmed, usually in fresh water. there is a difference in taste, natural salt shrimp has more flavor and firmer meat. Sold usually by how many per pound, as in 6-8, 30-40, etc. But......when they cook shrimp for freezing, they cook them only till they just turn pink to keep them from shrinking much, so I find the cheaper ones shrink quite a bit when you finish cooking them for use, and for safety. :cheers:

DJ_Critterus 05-20-2011 7:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon (Post 281836)
But......when they cook shrimp for freezing, they cook them only till they just turn pink to keep them from shrinking much, so I find the cheaper ones shrink quite a bit when you finish cooking them for use, and for safety. :cheers:

"It was warm in there. I had shrinkage!"

Hmm... just doesn't seem right no matter how you say it.:fingertap:

Jobaka 05-20-2011 11:31am

Do yourself a favor. Avoid farm raised shrimp.

Quote:

So, what exactly are the risks of farm-raised shrimp? In a nutshell, the major concerns are salmonella, antibiotics, bacteria, parasites, and chemical residues. Often, conditions on shrimp farms are unsanitary and frequently lead to the U.S. refusing shrimp imports for reasons of “filth.” The most significant dangers are posed by internationally farm-raised shrimp. At shrimp farms in locales such as Southeast Asia, overcrowding and poor sanitary conditions create a largely unstable environment, full of viruses and bacteria. To discourage disease, the shrimp pools are pumped with antibiotics and chemicals – some of which are actually illegal in the United States. The shrimp are frozen as they are transported, but this doesn’t always kill the chemicals or viruses. The FDA is charged with testing the shrimp when they arrive in the United States, but inspection guidelines aren’t as stringent as consumers might like, so various watchdog organizations have cropped up to try to prevent potential harms.

Source

Petew1971 05-20-2011 11:33am

Most stores just go to the frozen section and grab a bag from the freezer and dump it out in the meat department

jaxgator 05-20-2011 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petew1971 (Post 282137)
Most stores just go to the frozen section and grab a bag from the freezer and dump it out in the meat department

While that is true, the grocery store that I frequent (Publix) lets you know if they are fresh or previously frozen.

NeedSpeed 05-20-2011 11:58am

I like the frozen Tiger shrimp.

Couldn't tell you if there is much difference though.

kylebuck 05-20-2011 11:58am

I just go to the shrimp boat

C5SilverBullet 05-20-2011 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebuck (Post 282186)
I just go to the shrimp boat

Me too, but I don't like shrimp.

A friend owns a shrimp boat, and will occasionally drop off some shrimp. They are frozen, but they are frozen in the salt water they were caught in. I don't know if he is just bull shitting, but he said that makes a difference.

Cybercowboy 05-20-2011 12:23pm

I can tell you that if you can find frozen Alaskan shrimp, BUY THEM! They are fantastical, serious. The best shrimpies you'll ever eat.

Cajundude@EnglandGreen 05-20-2011 1:48pm

Absolutely! Gulf shrimp are the best. I have not tried Alaskan...

As far as the freezing, there are fishers/suppliers who immediately flash freeze the shrimp on the boat. If you get these, they are fine. Any other freezing is nasty tasting, at least to me, but I am also used to fresh Gulf seafood whenever I want it.

I would never buy frozen seafood from any grocery.

Cybercowboy 05-20-2011 1:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cajundude@EnglandGreen (Post 282349)
Absolutely! Gulf shrimp are the best. I have not tried Alaskan...

As far as the freezing, there are fishers/suppliers who immediately flash freeze the shrimp on the boat. If you get these, they are fine. Any other freezing is nasty tasting, at least to me, but I am also used to fresh Gulf seafood whenever I want it.

I would never buy frozen seafood from any grocery.

The Alaskan shrimp are flash frozen right on the boat and are big, typically about four to six per pound. They are sweet and a bit lobster-like. The ones I've had even had shrimp roe still clutched in their little shrimp legs. There was a store here about 10 years ago that sold them, and when they went out of business I've never seen them since. They were about $25/lb, pricey devils. I think they are called Alaskan Spot Shrimp.

Uncle Pervey 05-20-2011 3:07pm

You gotta be careful buying shrimp from some of the "foreign" shrimpers, even buying them off the boat. A few years ago an undercover investigation down here found that some of the Vietnamese shrimpers were taking shrimp that had was quite a bit past prime time and washing them in Clorox to get the smell and discoloration out of the meat. :puke: