The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Military is short on fresh bodies (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119822)

DAB 07-19-2019 12:57pm

Military is short on fresh bodies

and so they want to hire 16 year olds.

i have a different idea: hire 55+ year olds. we're old farts, we've lived, loved, made and lost our fortunes, and have jello and canes to look forward to. how about you hire us old farts. we aren't as afraid of dying (as many have been married, so we're used to incoming fire), we've had the last 40+ years to learn how to shoot. now granted, we don't move as fast as these young bucks, but how many wars have been won by the faster runner? how about the better shot (right Sgt. York?)?

and if we make it another 10 years, the war should be won, and now we have some benefits coming to support our retirement.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...over-enlistme/

MrPeabody 07-19-2019 1:07pm

The problem with us old farts is when we are told to do something, we ask why.

DAB 07-19-2019 1:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1677585)
The problem with us old farts is when we are told to do something, we ask why.

pfft, no sweat. we just need to learn to switch from "yes dear" to "yes sir"

dwjz06 07-19-2019 1:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1677586)

:lol:

snide 07-19-2019 2:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1677586)

I don't know that phrase. :shrug:

69camfrk 07-19-2019 3:30pm

Problem is, the military still wants you to be a track and field star. Believe me, at 50 years old, with bad knees, a torn rotator cuff, and degenerative disc disease with accompanying sciatic nerve pain, I decided that the military was for young people. Heavy aircraft maintenance over twenty some years did a number on my body.

z06psi 07-19-2019 3:32pm

Did my 27 years and 9 days. I'm good.

DAB 07-19-2019 3:58pm

how did we ever beat the British? we cheated.

MrPeabody 07-19-2019 4:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1677616)
how did we ever beat the British? we cheated.

Having your army wear red coats in a shooting war wasn't the brightest idea.

DAB 07-19-2019 4:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1677618)
Having your army wear red coats in a shooting war wasn't the brightest idea.

and line up in nice, straight lines (and not scurry around, hiding behind rocks).

mrvette 07-19-2019 4:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1677613)
Problem is, the military still wants you to be a track and field star. Believe me, at 50 years old, with bad knees, a torn rotator cuff, and degenerative disc disease with accompanying sciatic nerve pain, I decided that the military was for young people. Heavy aircraft maintenance over twenty some years did a number on my body.

I see the evidence on that kind of wear and tear on every guy I know in the industrial world.....welders, HVAC/etc.....and the reason I have had a rough go all my life is that damn extra vert in my lo back....spondalytis L6 they call it, and too boot the cartilage between two of the verts is gone and so they are growing together, putting more load on the other joints.....:issues:

and my wife just showed me her left knee that was hurt in the wreck some 6.5 years ago....all banged up and swollen in spots odd shaped.....

Doing industrial work is good till age 45 or so, then the loading is quite literally OVER the top.....

:issues: