The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   RIP Dad (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60266)

Sneaks 12-12-2013 1:02am

RIP Dad

Left Friday the 30th for Kentucky to take care of my mom for a few days. She had to have emergency surgery for a ruptured ulcer. Just the week prior dad fell and had to have 11 staples in his head. After leaving the VA, they had to take my dad to a home. His alzhimers had gotten to the point that mom could no longer take care of him, he couldn't do anything for himself, knew no one, had dwindled down to 118lbs(this from a man that once was a 6'4", 240 brick block who was never sick a day in his life), etc. My mom had been taking care of him at home for the last 18 months and she was completely worn down to nothing.
On Tuesday, I got a call from St. Catherines that he was unresponsive. My brother and I made the 1 1/2 trip to Indiana in about 50 minutes. Luckily there was light traffic and no cops on I65. When we got there, he was laying in his bed, un-responsive and breathing very shallow. We sat with him for about 20 minutes. I didn't think he could hear me, but I hoped he could. I couldn't speak. Seeing my Dad laying there like that just tore my guts out. Dad and I always had a connection where he seemed to know what I was thinking, so I just sat there and kept telling him in my mind that I loved him, and that it was OK to go home. At 7:45 PM December 4th, he took his last breath. He would have been 81 on Dec 30th.
My dad taught me everything. How to shoot, hunt, trap, fish, work on cars, sharpen a knife, to be responsible, and a million more things. He was my hero my entire life. No way I could ever explain what he meant to me.
Rest in peace Dad. I love you.
:sadangel::sadangel:

Milton Fox 12-12-2013 1:05am

Sorry for you loss. :sadangel:

Sea Six 12-12-2013 1:06am

:sadangel:

Very sorry to hear.

1911fool 12-12-2013 1:07am

Sorry to hear....dads are special. I miss mine daily.

wwomanC6 12-12-2013 1:31am

Damn Tim, it's tough loosing the ones so dear to us! May your Dad's memories give you comfort and joy until you meet again someday! May he rest in peace and he knows you loved him! May you be comforted and feel his love!

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/...psdbe07994.jpg

NEED-A-VETTE 12-12-2013 2:11am

Sorry to hear this. :sadangel:

87 Ragtop 12-12-2013 2:19am

Very sorry to hear :sadangel:

Mirroredshades 12-12-2013 4:14am

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 12-12-2013 4:22am

Very sorry to hear of this. I'm sure he knew of your love for him. Prayers for comfort for you and your brother at this time.

I'm sure you have a lifetime of memories that will keep him in your daily life from now on. What a wonderful gift he left for you.

NCC-1701 12-12-2013 4:34am

I'll say a prayer for your mom and dad may he rest in peace. :sadangel:

Rob 12-12-2013 4:50am

You and your family are in my prayers

Giraffe (He/Him) 12-12-2013 5:44am

Very sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had an enormous impact on your life. You'll always carry him with you even though he's passed away.

island14 12-12-2013 5:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1086525)
We sat with him for about 20 minutes. I didn't think he could hear me, but I hoped he could. I couldn't speak. Seeing my Dad laying there like that just tore my guts out. Dad and I always had a connection where he seemed to know what I was thinking, so I just sat there and kept telling him in my mind that I loved him, and that it was OK to go home. At 7:45 PM December 4th, he took his last breath. He would have been 81 on Dec 30th.
My dad taught me everything. How to shoot, hunt, trap, fish, work on cars, sharpen a knife, to be responsible, and a million more things. He was my hero my entire life. No way I could ever explain what he meant to me.

He heard you...

Your words here show me how much pain you feel from the loss of him, and really hits home with me as one who has already lost both my Mom and Dad.

I was speaking to my Mom on the phone when she passed, she had been unresponsive for about a week, but when I called her, and was on the phone telling her it was ok to go if she wanted, my sister told me that she couldn't speak, but mouthed, "I love you" and she then was gone..

I'm truly sorry for your loss.. :sadangel:

bryanZ06 12-12-2013 6:20am

Sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family.

Stangkiller 12-12-2013 6:24am

So sorry for your loss. Prayers sent for you and your family.

vtelvr 12-12-2013 6:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 1086525)
His alzhimers had gotten to the point that mom could no longer take care of him, he couldn't do anything for himself, knew no one, had dwindled down to 118lbs(this from a man that once was a 6'4", 240 brick block who was never sick a day in his life), etc. My mom had been taking care of him at home for the last 18 months and she was completely worn down to nothing.
On Tuesday, I got a call from St. Catherines that he was unresponsive. My brother and I made the 1 1/2 trip to Indiana in about 50 minutes. Luckily there was light traffic and no cops on I65. When we got there, he was laying in his bed, un-responsive and breathing very shallow. We sat with him for about 20 minutes. I didn't think he could hear me, but I hoped he could. I couldn't speak. Seeing my Dad laying there like that just tore my guts out. Dad and I always had a connection where he seemed to know what I was thinking, so I just sat there and kept telling him in my mind that I loved him, and that it was OK to go home. At 7:45 PM December 4th, he took his last breath. He would have been 81 on Dec 30th.

So sorry to hear of your loss. Seeing someone who you once knew as a very healthy, very independent person dwindling down to nothing and can't do anything for themselves has to be the hardest way to see someone you love check out. Just know they are no longer in pain, and are living joyously now.

My dad was everything yours was to you, and maybe more. He passed when I was 23, and nothing has been completely right(within myself), since. I miss him everyday, just as I do my mom who passed right before I turned 18. I had a void when my mom passed, but when my dad passed, there is something missing from my everyday life. I used to call him everyday, we would either bullshit, or he would be talking me down off the ledge because of work shit...telling me that I am going to get very upset over my working career and that I need to let it roll off my back. I couldn't quantify the times I called him completely pissed off about work, and when we hung up, I had a different perspective on life, work, etc. He was a do all kind of person. If it was broken, he would fix it. If one of us boys was out of line, he shaped us up. I never knew what my dad meant as we were growing up...but now that I am an adult, I understand each of his lessons. He taught me work ethic, manners, how to flirt the right way, how to work on a vehicle, how to....etc. He meant the world to me...

You will miss your father immensely, but just know he is always there for you, whether he is here in human form or not. You now have a kick ass guardian angel!

McLeod 12-12-2013 6:51am

Sorry for your loss Tim.:sadangel:

VatorMan 12-12-2013 6:58am

Grey Ghost 12-12-2013 7:00am

Yerf Dog 12-12-2013 7:02am

I am sorry for your loss.

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c5/yer...s/thoughts.gif