The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Adding a wideband sensor (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3447)

Munch 07-26-2010 8:17am

Adding a wideband sensor

When adding a wideband sensor do you just replace one of the existing O2 sensors or does it have to be a fresh install? This is on a car with LT's if that matters.

Thanks.

Cobra4B 07-26-2010 8:19am

It's best to get a bung welded in the center of your x-pipe if you have one.... that way it'll be most accurate. Otherwise you can just remove a rear 02 and put the wideband in it's place.

Munch 07-26-2010 8:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra4B (Post 42265)
It's best to get a bung welded in the center of your x-pipe if you have one.... that way it'll be most accurate. Otherwise you can just remove a rear 02 and put the wideband in it's place.

Never thought of that, I like that idea.:rep:

The idea of putting the sensor on just one bank always kind of bothered me.

thegreenman 07-26-2010 9:10am

I had bungs welded just behind each cat.

Munch 07-26-2010 8:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreenman (Post 42273)
I had bungs welded just behind each cat.

So you run 2? How does that work? Do you have 2 gauges or do they both tie in to some kind of fancy electro doohickey and it averages them or what?

thegreenman 07-26-2010 10:06pm

I couldn't afford the fancy electro doohickey, instead I have one wideband going to my gauge and it feeds a line to the data logger. The second wideband is only for the datalogger (no gauge).

Sneaks 07-27-2010 8:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreenman (Post 42309)
I couldn't afford the fancy electro doohickey, instead I have one wideband going to my gauge and it feeds a line to the data logger. The second wideband is only for the datalogger (no gauge).

The data logger being that electro doohickey thingy. :D

thegreenman 07-27-2010 9:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 42333)
The data logger being that electro doohickey thingy. :D

Electro doohickey yes, fancy electro doohickey, no. They wanted a lot more money for the fancy version.

Sneaks 07-27-2010 11:01am

See, I know my terminology well. :D

Munch 07-27-2010 8:27pm

After much research it turns out the the expensive "wideband kits" are just that, kits with the data logger and stuff. If I don't want to data log but just want a gauge and a connection to my nitrous progressive controller. It seems I can just buy a sensor and an extension cable... I think. I hear that most of the "kits" use a Bosch sensor (not sure which one yet) and it's not pricey at all. I can always get the data logger part later if I get that advanced. Am I on the right track here?? Perhaps I should ask my tuner?

thegreenman 07-27-2010 8:53pm

My Autometer wideband was a complete kit, it include the Bosch sensor. The gauge has a data logger output that you could use if you get a data logger at a later date or if getting tuned your tuner may want to use it. I believe a wideband sensor will be more accurate than sticking a probe in your rear (tail pipe that is).

mariofromnewyork 07-27-2010 10:45pm

I have a LC1 innovative W/B with DB guage and it is accurate as hell. I have it in my X pipe like Brian mentioned!

Mario

Munch 08-04-2010 9:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariofromnewyork (Post 42396)
I have a LC1 innovative W/B with DB guage and it is accurate as hell. I have it in my X pipe like Brian mentioned!

Mario

Cool beans! :rep: