The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   B-25 Mitchell, Up Close (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131835)

Norm 03-23-2023 6:02pm

B-25 Mitchell, Up Close

10 Attachment(s)
Went with a small tour group (38) to a small working museum at a local airfield, normally they don't let you get this close......donations were welcome.:D

At the annual October Wings & Wheels show there, this aircraft offers 20 minute paid plane rides to the public. It's a beatiful plane. :seasix:

Norm 03-23-2023 6:05pm

5 Attachment(s)
Con't.

BADRACR1 03-24-2023 7:56am

B-25 was always one of my favorite planes.

RedLS1GTO 03-24-2023 7:57am

1 Attachment(s)
:cool: Awesome. I'm lucky enough to live near the Tri-State Warbird "Museum".

Reality of course is a tax shelter for guys with really expensive toys... but I'm not complaining.

I stop in on a regular basis just to look around. We get pretty regular low altitude air shows over my house. My wife thinks I'm crazy when I jump up and run outside every time those big radials on the B-25 get close.

I just realized I don't have any good close up shots of the B-25. I'm going to have to fix that. I did get a quick shot of it when my kid got a flyover at her backyard birthday party. :rofl:

Norm 03-24-2023 8:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO (Post 2064519)
:cool: Awesome. I'm lucky enough to live near the Tri-State Warbird "Museum".

Reality of course is a tax shelter for guys with really expensive toys... but I'm not complaining.

I stop in on a regular basis just to look around. We get pretty regular low altitude air shows over my house. My wife thinks I'm crazy when I jump up and run outside every time those big radials on the B-25 get close.

That bird flies over my house occasionally, I get up and look for it too :D, no missing that iconic sound.

Brett K 03-25-2023 2:06pm

My grandfather was a tailgunner in a B-25 during WWII.

LisaJohn 03-25-2023 4:34pm

Cool. Did y’all clay bar the plane? It’s very shiny:seasix:

Bill 03-25-2023 5:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 2064976)
Cool. Did y’all clay bar the plane? It’s very shiny:seasix:

Oh no you di'int!

:rofl::rofl::breathe::rofl::rofl:

Chemtrails99 03-27-2023 9:16pm

God I hate polish and waxing airplanes. I did the P-51 for two years prepping for the races and it was by myself. Cleaned it, clay barred it, polished out any area not smooth, did complete carnauba job topped with a synthetic coat. The second year they had an oil leak on the flight out and they grabbed acetone to clean it, thus taking all my work off it. Even though I set up a detailing kit to actually fly in the aircraft on the trip if needed. I haven't touched a car, truck or anything else in 6 years since then. I used to love detailing my cars. Now the paint is rotting off most of them in the Florida sun.

Panchito used to do spring at my local. They did Titusville air show the last year, and some idiot decided to have a herd of troubled teens as volunteers. They quickly got the hands on golf carts and began chasing each other around the show. Panchito got a 4 foot long deep scratch they claimed was going to be $30K to repair. No idea why they couldn't polish it out as directed in the 43.13-1A for a few hours labor. They freaked out for over a year claiming it was vandals seeking to harm the aircraft. Nobody would listen when I pointed out the mark was the same height as the golf cart tops.

Let me just say again how much I hate polishing aircraft.

2manycars 03-28-2023 1:35am

A number of years ago I saw a B-25 at Punta Gorda. I'm wondering if it was this one. It sounded like a top fuel dragster when it idled, and those engine cowls were rocking. They spun right up when he cracked the throttles though.

Chemtrails99 03-28-2023 2:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2manycars (Post 2065758)
A number of years ago I saw a B-25 at Punta Gorda. I'm wondering if it was this one. It sounded like a top fuel dragster when it idled, and those engine cowls were rocking. They spun right up when he cracked the throttles though.

Probably the same aircraft. It's toured a lot of Florida for many years.