The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Accidental Discharge (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11133)

Rapid Roger 03-28-2011 11:02am

Accidental Discharge

Gun Accidentally Discharges (8 pics)

DJ_Critterus 03-28-2011 11:10am

Dumbass should check his equipment. Also, there's another reason for me not liking the Glock. I do prefer some kind of safety to prevent ADs. The XD trigger & back strap safeties work perfect for me.

AU Eagle 03-28-2011 11:15am

I'll still carry my Glock. His own fault for not checking his equipment.

Bucwheat 03-28-2011 11:19am

Dayum,glad you were not hurt,Never seen anything like that.That holster needs to go.

Mark C5 03-28-2011 11:21am

No amount of safety's in the world can protect you from stupidity. The 1911 has two (three if you count barrel disconnect) and there have been thousands of AD's with them.

Scissors 03-28-2011 11:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C5 (Post 214605)
No amount of safety's in the world can protect you from stupidity. The 1911 has two (three if you count barrel disconnect) and there have been thousands of AD's with them.

I'm willing to bet that exactly 0 of them have "accidentally" discharged because the holster itself operated them while the safeties were engaged.

Mark C5 03-28-2011 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scissors (Post 214617)
I'm willing to bet that exactly 0 of them have "accidentally" discharged because the holster itself operated them while the safeties were engaged.

So the end result depends on the cause?

DJ_Critterus 03-28-2011 11:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C5 (Post 214605)

that may be true, but I thinknot having any kind of safety to be an issue. Yeah, I know Glock has the internal safety mechanisms, but I want one more layer of protection to keep the gun from firing a round unless I pull the trigger on purpose.

Uncle Pervey 03-28-2011 11:52am

You 1911 guys don't trust that link safety, I have seen or heard of a number of accidents when people were trying to demonstrate how it works.
When I was about 16 a buddy of mine was showing me how it was "supposed" to work. He pressed the end on the muzzle on a 1911 against the wall and thought he had it pushed in far enough to activate the link safety. He didn't, he shot through the wall, through his sister's bedroom missing her by about 2 feet, into the living room where it destroyed a lamp and embedded in a stud in the wall.
Back in 1971 a guy on guard duty during field exercises over in Germany was showing another guy how it was supposed to work by pressing it into the palm of his hand. It discharged and the fool shot himself through the palm of his hand. By the time the ambulance got too him he went into shock and died before the medics got him to the hospital. :leaving:

Mark C5 03-28-2011 12:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 214653)
that may be true, but I thinknot having any kind of safety to be an issue. Yeah, I know Glock has the internal safety mechanisms, but I want one more layer of protection to keep the gun from firing a round unless I pull the trigger on purpose.

My use of the word stupidity may have been a bit harsh. A better way to have said it would have been "no amount of safety's will protect you from negligence".

If you are negligent in your handling of a Glock you are just as apt to be negligent in your handling of a 1911 or any other weapon, in my opinion. Negligent handling of a weapon carries a high likelihood of "accidental discharge" over time.

In this instance the guy admitted he was negligent. He was aware he had a problem for some time and did nothing to correct the problem. It was only a matter of time. I would submit he would be just as negligent with any other weapon and while perhaps not under the same circumstances he would have eventually experienced a similar result. The actual physical cause is irrelevant. The real cause is negligence.

ft laud mike 03-28-2011 12:12pm

Seems awfully soft leather. I just checked my glock 30 in a don hume IWB, clip on
the leather is stiff & I do not see how I could bend it from putting on a seat belt. Maybe the guy's holster was ready to be retired anyway

Mark C5 03-28-2011 12:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ft laud mike (Post 214680)
Seems awfully soft leather. I just checked my glock 30 in a don hume IWB, clip on
the leather is stiff & I do not see how I could bend it from putting on a seat belt. Maybe the guy's holster was ready to be retired anyway

Go to the source listed on the link and you can read the whole article written by the individual involved. He had the holster for a little over a year and was aware the leather was soft and that there could be a problem with engagement of the trigger.

I have a Bianchi model 100 IWB holster for my Glock 27 that I have carried for over two years and it shows no signs of softening.

ft laud mike 03-28-2011 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark C5 (Post 214683)
Go to the source listed on the link and you can read the whole article written by the individual involved. He had the holster for a little over a year and was aware the leather was soft and that there could be a problem with engagement of the trigger.

I have a Bianchi model 100 IWB holster for my Glock 27 that I have carried for over two years and it shows no signs of softening.

:cheers:

Omega Man 03-28-2011 12:28pm

That fat assed idiot needs to not have a worn out fag strap as a holster and he needs to lose for fukin weight if he plans on carrying a pistol on his side.

The cause here is the shitty holster and his fat ass rolling around pushing the gun down causing the shitty holster to hold the trigger while his twinkie roll pushes the gun. Same as pulling the trigger.

People like this scare me and should not be carrying anything more than a candy bar. You can tell by his size he knows how to do that.

Montehall 03-28-2011 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Pervey (Post 214656)
You 1911 guys don't trust that link safety, I have seen or heard of a number of accidents when people were trying to demonstrate how it works.
When I was about 16 a buddy of mine was showing me how it was "supposed" to work. He pressed the end on the muzzle on a 1911 against the wall and thought he had it pushed in far enough to activate the link safety. He didn't, he shot through the wall, through his sister's bedroom missing her by about 2 feet, into the living room where it destroyed a lamp and embedded in a stud in the wall.
Back in 1971 a guy on guard duty during field exercises over in Germany was showing another guy how it was supposed to work by pressing it into the palm of his hand. It discharged and the fool shot himself through the palm of his hand. By the time the ambulance got too him he went into shock and died before the medics got him to the hospital. :leaving:

There was a Cosatie up in Kodiak, AK that just did that with a SIG. pushed it against his palm and pulled the trigger.

6spdC6 03-28-2011 1:12pm

Been around guns & shooting all my life (now65). A safety is nothing more than a mechanical device to prevent a gun from going BANG. Like anything mechanical it could fail or not be set. A safety is a last resort incase all else fails/somethingS goes wrong. True safety is the operator. A good operator knows and always obeys the rules of good gun handling.

Dave a over 44 year NRA lifetime member, past NRA firearms instructor and range officer!

RedLS1GTO 03-28-2011 1:22pm

I've never liked the Glock safety. To be fair, I have never really liked Glocks in general. There isn't necessarily anything wrong with them, but I just can't ever seem to be comfortable and accurate with them compared to a few others on the market.

While it is true that you shouldn't have to depend on the safety, it seems to me like it is a whole lot easier to fire a Glock than it is to AD a pistol with a "traditional" type of safety.

Mark C5 03-28-2011 1:42pm

Hell, I've seen an AD with a bow and arrow. :yesnod:

Joecooool 03-28-2011 2:19pm

One of the many reasons I do not support open carry laws.

Mark C5 03-28-2011 2:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 214832)
One of the many reasons I do not support open carry laws.

:rolleyes: