The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Meet our new rescue - Gizmo (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46034)

Me2 01-14-2013 8:31pm

Meet our new rescue - Gizmo

I decided that our Big Dog needed a new little sister. Went to the kill shelter yesterday and I wanted the ugliest dog they had (one that would probably never be adopted). She's 3 years old and was surrendered by her owner because "they were allergic to her". She's playful as can be and a real sweetheart but even tho' it's only been a little over 24 hours, she's not adapting to the Big Dog yet. It's better today - at least he can get near her w/out her lashing out, but we have patience and know the camaraderie (or maybe tolerance or acceptance?) will eventually come.

http://i46.tinypic.com/dq2nsw.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/t0jksi.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/352q1pt.jpg

99 pewtercoupe 01-14-2013 8:34pm

Your new best friend forever! :hurray:
Rescue animals are always the best. She knows she won the doggah lottery and will forever be gratefull

Bucwheat 01-15-2013 9:00am

I imagine she had to be tough in the big house.

VatorMan 01-15-2013 9:03am

:cool:

Rob 01-15-2013 9:06am

:seasix: give them time to work it out with one another but let them know that you are still boss and love them both.

I used marshmallows on both our rescues to get them to come around.

Cute pup :cert:

Yerf Dog 01-15-2013 9:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me2 (Post 860235)
I wanted the ugliest dog they had (one that would probably never be adopted).

Good for you! Congrats! :seasix:

oyealiz 01-15-2013 12:47pm

From your FB post, I thought you named her Ugly Betty. :lol:

She's just making sure the big guy doesn't hurt her and knows she's the boss. Hopefully they work it out and get along. Or not. As long as the big dog doesn't hurt her, they can just coexist. That's basically what my Pom does with our big dogs. She acts like they are peasants, and she's a princess.

Good for yall on adopting and saving a life! :)

Me2 01-16-2013 7:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dixievet (Post 860461)
:seasix: give them time to work it out with one another but let them know that you are still boss and love them both.

I used marshmallows on both our rescues to get them to come around.

Cute pup :cert:

Tell me more about the marshmallow process. They're doing better - Brian's solution is just to hold the little dog constantly cause he's a big softie. I, on the other hand, let the little dog run around the house but keep hold of the big dogs collar, hold the little dog firmly and let the big dog sniff her all over and try to keep them around each other as much as possible with a firm hand on both.

The little dog is just scared of the big dog (hell, most PEOPLE are afraid of my big dog) but she's feisty and will attack him. The big dog just wants to see what this ugly little creature is and she's so active that he wants to play with her, but those big paws are pretty rough.

Me2 01-16-2013 8:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by oyealiz (Post 860639)
From your FB post, I thought you named her Ugly Betty. :lol:

She's just making sure the big guy doesn't hurt her and knows she's the boss. Hopefully they work it out and get along. Or not. As long as the big dog doesn't hurt her, they can just coexist. That's basically what my Pom does with our big dogs. She acts like they are peasants, and she's a princess.

Good for yall on adopting and saving a life! :)

My Mother said that the little dog has such sad eyes and it's probably because we were calling her "Ugly Betty". She came to us as "Candy" but Brian said she looks like "Gizmo" and I have to agree so "Gizmo" it is. I don't think it really matters to her - she doesn't respond to any of the names. :lol:

Yamma 01-16-2013 9:50am

ugly? That dog is downright adorable! Congrats on the new addition and thanks for adopting!:paw::paw:

Iron Chef 01-16-2013 10:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me2 (Post 861420)
The little dog is just scared of the big dog (hell, most PEOPLE are afraid of my big dog)

The one with two legs or four? :D

Congrats! :cert:

beadist 01-16-2013 10:12am

Hi Gizmo!!! She's not ugly, she's a cutie :D

She's a lucky girl too :seasix:

Chuck A 01-16-2013 11:54am

very cool, indeed
thats great what you have done

Me2 01-16-2013 8:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 861476)
The one with two legs or four? :D

Congrats! :cert:

She absolutely loves the 2 legged beast - he holds her all of the time.

Me2 01-16-2013 8:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yamma (Post 861467)
ugly? That dog is downright adorable! Congrats on the new addition and thanks for adopting!:paw::paw:

:seasix:

She really is a cutie - she's just so odd looking and that's what made me fall in love with her. Not sure what she is - terrier and something or somethings.

I specifically went to a kill shelter so I could possibly save a life - it was BUSY on Sunday. I hope everyone that was adopting will give the babies a good home. I checked EVERY cage and pen and made up my mind if any were tagged to be put down that I was going to take everyone of them and figure it all out once I got them out of there. Thank goodness none were tagged.

oyealiz 01-17-2013 4:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me2 (Post 861421)
My Mother said that the little dog has such sad eyes and it's probably because we were calling her "Ugly Betty". She came to us as "Candy" but Brian said she looks like "Gizmo" and I have to agree so "Gizmo" it is. I don't think it really matters to her - she doesn't respond to any of the names. :lol:

She'll learn quickly if you always use her name when talking to her and praising her. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me2 (Post 862135)
She absolutely loves the 2 legged beast - he holds her all of the time.

Awww. I know he was missing his little girl he'd had for so long, so it's good he is enjoying Gizmo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Me2 (Post 862139)

I specifically went to a kill shelter so I could possibly save a life

You rock. :dance: That was an awesome thing to do. Lucky, lucky Gizmo. :)

simpleman68 01-17-2013 4:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 860237)
Your new best friend forever! :hurray:
Rescue animals are always the best. She knows she won the doggah lottery and will forever be gratefull

Truth spoken :yesnod:

Congratulations on your new pal, she looks like a sweety!! :angel:
Scott

stingraymyway 01-17-2013 7:39pm

Aflac 01-17-2013 8:14pm

she looks like a sweetie!